Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Eritex Inc's HRD 3.1 setup and tip thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
I run a JR ST47 on mine that has about 50 ounces of torque at 6v. 50 is about the minimum I would suggest.
very good. ill post some pics when im done.
latentimage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #82

Default HRD 3.1 Setup

I am new to rack crawling and installed this in my truck this weekend and I guess settings were wrong because I smoked a $30 dollar servo. Can anyone tell me what the radio settings need to be to avoid doing this again. I am using a DX3S which I know is only 2 position but want to set it up to do 4wd and locked? Also just got the radio so new to the menu and settings so any help would be greatly appreciated on where the AUX channel settings need to be thanks again.
Trex72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex72 View Post
I am new to rack crawling and installed this in my truck this weekend and I guess settings were wrong because I smoked a $30 dollar servo. Can anyone tell me what the radio settings need to be to avoid doing this again. I am using a DX3S which I know is only 2 position but want to set it up to do 4wd and locked? Also just got the radio so new to the menu and settings so any help would be greatly appreciated on where the AUX channel settings need to be thanks again.
I run a DX3R so my menus are a little different but lets give it a shot from memory.

Find the "Travel" setting and click on it.

Scroll to the bottom where AX is in the box and click the wheel again.

By flipping the AUX switch you can highlight the H and L setting for fine tuning travel.

Role the wheel to turn each setting (H and L) to 25%.

Now, turn the truck on and have the dig completely installed. Flip the AUX switch to the 4WD side and role the menu wheel until the shifter (the black plastic part) come in contact with either the front or back plate. The servo will buzz and you should be able to feel it vibrating. At that point, back it off until the noise stops.

Repeat process for the locked side.

Done

I usually have the locked side throw set to where the servo is just buzzing. Seems to hold lock really well that way.

I hope this helps. If not, please let me know.

Thanks,

Gerame

Last edited by Eritex Inc.; 06-08-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentimage74 View Post
what's the width on that chassis?

It's 3" between the plates.
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #85

Thank you for the settings will try another servo tonight. What does the servo need to be as far as ounces of torque at 6v?

Last edited by Trex72; 06-08-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Forgot question.
Trex72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #86
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex72 View Post
Thank you for the settings will try another servo tonight. What does the servo need to be as far as ounces of torque at 6v?
Post 80 anyone?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #87
Suck it up!

Still having trouble getting mine to lock. Maybe I need a smaller servo to keep the pull linear?

The servo mount fell off too. A little locktite seemed to do the trick...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #88
MFDesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Still having trouble getting mine to lock. Maybe I need a smaller servo to keep the pull linear?

i had same problem with lock, did u assemble dig w/ it in lock before atatching to trans? this was critical for mine to lock.

im using spektrum z590 serzo @80in/oz torque,is working flawlesly so far.heres some pics.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/album.php?albumid=492

Last edited by mfawv; 06-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.
mfawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #89
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfawv View Post
i had same problem with lock, did u assemble dig w/ it in lock before atatching to trans? this was critical for mine to lock.

im using spektrum z590 serzo @80in/oz torque,is working flawlesly so far.
Don't really remember. I need to take it apart and repolish some stuff anyway...I'll be sure and reassemble it locked.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #90
MFDesigns

Quote:
Don't really remember. I need to take it apart and repolish some stuff anyway...I'll be sure and reassemble it locked.
lube it well also.
it may not lock by hand but once installed it should work fine. good luck.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:

Servo size should not matter. When you are setting the end point for dig, is the servo "buzzing" a little?

My DX3R actually shows full dig engagement at 57% travel but I gave it an extra 3% to insure a full lock.

Which servo are you using?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #92
Suck it up!

Quote:
Servo size should not matter. When you are setting the end point for dig, is the servo "buzzing" a little?

My DX3R actually shows full dig engagement at 57% travel but I gave it an extra 3% to insure a full lock.

Which servo are you using?
I was thinking a smaller servo to keep the arm more in line with the direction of travel.

I had it set to buzz a bit, but it didn't change anything, other than it buzzed.

Servo is a 645mg. Its what I had on the bench.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was thinking a smaller servo to keep the arm more in line with the direction of travel.

I had it set to buzz a bit, but it didn't change anything, other than it buzzed.

Servo is a 645mg. Its what I had on the bench.
Pictures are worth a thousand words. If I can see how you have it I could help a little more.

Ya, 645mg is plenty
Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #94
TSK
Shelf queen

Hmm. I'm only using a hitec 225 and I have had no issues with binding or not engaging 4wd or lock. Only thing I may do is move my linkage further out on the servo horn since I have my epa's set almost to max in both directions.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #95
RCC Addict

After getting Duuuudes dig to the shop and setting it up I will tell you guys this....

DO NOT USE HIGH TORQUE SERVOS.

This dig works awesome at 50 to 75 ounces of torque. Anymore and you will actually hamper dig performance...

Carry on
Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Im using a 225mg on mine with no issues. Also I had it bolted to a HotRacing aluminum transmission housing and it worked fine no binding like the GH housing
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDB1 View Post
Im using a 225mg on mine with no issues. Also I had it bolted to a HotRacing aluminum transmission housing and it worked fine no binding like the GH housing
That servo is 67 oz at 6v. With a 645 at 126 oz, you will run into jamming and binding issues.

I know, I had to invent the only dig that likes wimpy servos
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #98
Suck it up!

Quote:
After getting Duuuudes dig to the shop and setting it up I will tell you guys this....

DO NOT USE HIGH TORQUE SERVOS.

This dig works awesome at 50 to 75 ounces of torque. Anymore and you will actually hamper dig performance...

Carry on
Yup, that was just one of many issues, per the conversation we had this evening. And because he's too nice of a guy to point it out, I'll give everyone the rundown of how I went from start to fail in record time...

1. Servo was too strong and wouldn't allow the pieces to fall into place like they should. Instead, it would try to pull them into position and jam them there. It was also seen that the servo would pull so hard that the mount would flex slightly. Probably why I had trouble with it falling off... I thought I had a lighter duty servo lined up, but it turns out its a bit glitchy. I'll be out of town but near a hobby shop this weekend, so a suitable servo will be sourced.

2. The screw I used to attach the rod end to the delrin shifter was a tad bit too long, which gouged the shift rod, causing the shifter to get hung up.

3. The CDW SS outputs were also an issue on several counts. First, and I mentioned this earlier, the shaft is too long and protrudes into the output hex too far. A quick trip to the grinder will solve that. Second, the CDW is much beefier than the stock unit where the shaft meets the base and won't allow the output hex to sit where it should. I tried to compensate for that by chucking a countersink bit into my drill and carved (I would say "machined", but that would be a gross mis-use of the word...lol ) a bevel into the hex. I thought it was alright, but apparently was way off center and caused the hex to wobble and actually rub on the case. Third, the output shaft was slightly off center. Not an issue at all if you merely have a driveshaft hanging off of it, but a huge problem when there is a close tollerance dig bolted up.

4. I'm a big ham fisted idiot that owes a huge debt of gratitude to Gerame for getting my sh*t straight for me. If anyone has even the slightest doubt as to whether or not Eritex takes care of its customers, you shouldn't.

Also, I don't know how many of these things he's sent out, but to have the only known issues be "operator error" is quite a feat. Definately high quality stuff running at close tolerances. Which is probably why I screwed mine up so bad.

Thanks again Gerame. I can't wait to have it back in my numb, fumbling hands.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #99
MFDesigns

imm using a spectrum z590 and have noticed a very small amount of binding. could i use the standerd spectrum z290 servo? if not what is recomended?

Last edited by mfawv; 06-15-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #100
TSK
Shelf queen

Hmm.... sounds like I was right about trying to use that CDW output.... *pats self on the back*

J/k but not really.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote