Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Eritex Inc's HRD 3.1 setup and tip thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #101
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Hmm.... sounds like I was right about trying to use that CDW output.... *pats self on the back*

J/k but not really.
No, you're right. Since I was the only one using the CDW's and having this much trouble, its a logical conclusion.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #102
Keep it real

I'd really like to see a vid of the dig working flawlessly in a real bind;)...not on basicly flat ground without the tires bound up on slippery rock(like in the only vid I've seen of this dig in action).
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #103
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
I'd really like to see a vid of the dig working flawlessly in a real bind;)...not on basicly flat ground without the tires bound up on slippery rock(like in the only vid I've seen of this dig in action).
Mine worked great (when it worked). No vid though...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #104
Keep it real

Worked great when...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #105
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Worked great when...
When I'd get it (the truck) bound up.

Don't know if it means anything to you, but I'd never spun a hex untill I got this dig. Since then I've wiped out three Axial rims on the front axle.

Currently waiting to seal the deal on an aluminum set...COUGH COUGH

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 06-15-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #106
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
When I'd get it (the truck) bound up.
See, that doesn't tell me anything, because one person's bound up isn't the same as another person's bound up. My dig shifts everytime...period..no hangups ever....it's about as close as you can get to a Berg type electronic dig, with a shafty of course...no matter how bound up or twisted up or whatever, it will shift period. And this is on lava type rock that is just like rough sandpaper...no forgiveness. I don't run an Eritex one BTW.

I keep reading about how these work so great, even bound up, but that is not what I have seen in person at my local comps I don't want to badmouth the Eritex dig, I just want to see what everybody means when they say it works flawlessly, because that's not what I'd say about them.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #107
Suck it up!

I can't say mine worked flawlessly because I jacked it up pretty seriously (no fault of Eritex). However, when I did manage to have it going pretty well, I loved it. There can be a bit of delay to get the rears locked, depending on the orientation of the hexes in the dig, but its very minimal. Usually if the suspension is bound up in 4wd, when you shift to the locked position the rear tires will turn just a hair as the truck relaxes and will cause it to engauge.

I've driven it up a nearly verticle face untill the rear tires almost touch, shifted to dig, let the front tires grab the edge and start to pull the truck up and over, and while still on the throttle, shift back to 4wd without problem.

But still, I didn't get that much usable drivetime with it. Hopefully next week will be different.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #108
Keep it real

Right on. A good first test I always use, is on the carpet in the living room. I drive into the couch on an angle and start to climb up and basicly almost stall the motor out because you have the tires stuffed so hard, and then disengage/engage without having to move the truck forward or backward....if it won't even do that, I won't even take it out on the rocks, as I already know it won't work reliably in a bind on my rocks.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #109
Suck it up!

The HRD has to pass through its neutral point to get from 4wd to dig, so its pretty much imposible to make it shift into a severly bound up axle. Once it hits neutral, even for that split second, its enough to make the suspension relax a little.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Ive tested mine it this situation where I hold the rear wheel and throttle it till the front wheels are at about 45* then shift it out of 4wd. It seems to work pretty good with a 225mg
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Tanis, what DIG are you using? I just got my Eritex hooked up, and I think it's cool, but it is my first DIG and I really just don't know any better anyway. lol
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #112
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayze View Post
Tanis, what DIG are you using?
x2 What mechanical dig are you using that shifts easily under full bind. The only one I've seen doesn't use a positive engagement system. It uses a friction disc like a one sided clutch.

So far I've used the DNA and the CKRC FT. The Eritex HRD has been the best so far. When I dig/drag my rear tires up to a ledge, It is hard to get the dig to release when it is hanging all it's weight on the stuck rears. Mine also has trouble going to nuetral when bound up. I was getting wedged in a crack, and had to release tension on the drivetrain to get to freewheel. Mine is no electronic dig by any means, but it is my new favorite for mechanical dig. I'm using it with a HS-475 and synthetic grease.

Last edited by cruzer971; 06-16-2009 at 09:57 AM.
cruzer971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was getting wedged in a crack, and had to release tension
sorry but.....
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Tanis, my Eritex worked great on Sunday, made Pat's look like crap. his feels like it's full of peanut butter when shifting it by hand.

Granted, I wasn't ever in a huge bind, but so far, so good. (i lighten up before snapping my SSS)

For doubters, Tanis's dig is instant, and consistent. he's got a huge servo on his that thing. I'll let him say what internals he's running.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlincircles View Post
sorry but.....
X2
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #116
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer971 View Post
x2 What mechanical dig are you using that shifts easily under full bind.
I run a DNA with steel internals, with a Hitec 7955 for the servo, and it never hangs up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBRC View Post
Tanis, my Eritex worked great on Sunday, made Pat's look like crap. his feels like it's full of peanut butter when shifting it by hand.

For doubters, Tanis's dig is instant, and consistent. he's got a huge servo on his that thing. I'll let him say what internals he's running.
I didn't even realize you were running the Eritex, and from what I saw of your runs, it was working pretty good.

And like I said, I'm not putting down the Eritex dig at all, I just want to be on the same page as the rest of you, as far as how it works under bind.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #117
Rock Stacker

Alright its time for me to chime in. Chris, my dig started out at the comp a whole lot better and smoother then when you felt it. Im not sure yet what caused it to go rough, i havent taken it apart yet. I run a 645mg servo, according to some previous posts i may be using a to torquey servo. I built my dig exactly as the guide suggested. it worked about as well as a dna dig with a mini servo, however by the end of an hour of crawling, it jammed up. I couldnt slide the shifter with the servo or by hand, it was jammed untill I dismantled it. I then got out the dremmel and buffed up the shift pin, all sharp edges, and the sharp edges on the delrin shift guide. then i noticed that there was quite a bit of drag, which seemed to be comming from the case "pinching" the delrin. So i took a file to that, then buffed it with the dremmel. After much smoothing and buffing i got it to shift smoother with some reliability. I also reassembled it without andy lube at all. In our area there is very fine dust and ash soil, we have great rock because of volcanic action but we also have a fine grit dirt that reeks havoc on greased parts. Since the rebuild it has been working much better, by not stretch flawless. I read those posts and wonder if i got a dig that was machined with incorrect tolerances or if people are using it on their patio or slippery rock. Im not angry or digruntled, I dont regret my purchase, I just wanted to add my experience to the list.
The Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cracker View Post
then i noticed that there was quite a bit of drag, which seemed to be comming from the case "pinching" the delrin. So i took a file to that, then buffed it with the dremmel.......

Im not angry or digruntled, I dont regret my purchase, I just wanted to add my experience to the list.
One tip I forgot to mention is you can open the case slightly (use light pressure and pull the tops of the case apart ) if the shifter feels to tight. The AL sometimes moves a little after machining and needs to be reminded.

Also, you run yours without grease? I came up with this idea for a customer and it seems to be working well....

Bag of party balloons, $.99

Cut the top 2 inches off...

Stretch over the dig with the mouth piece towards the trans. Unscrew the shifter linkage from the ball joint on the dig and pierce the balloon with a small allen wrench. Then, thread the shifter rod back through the hole.

Tada, dig condom.

Might help for you guys that run in dusty areas.

Thanks,

Gerame
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #119
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer971 View Post
Mine also has trouble going to nuetral when bound up. I was getting wedged in a crack, and had to release tension on the drivetrain to get to freewheel.
I'm having the same problems with mine. Anyone have any ideas or tips to remedy this?
naggalowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Hi Gerame,

I ordered the dig without the servo mount, and I now see that I need the servo mount. I actually have the dig installed, but because I haven't figured out a way to mount a servo yet, I can't use the dig!

Your site says the servo mount is backordered. How long do you think it'll be before you've got more servo mounts ready to ship?

Thanks!
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote