Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Super 300 interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
take the axles out and put a drop on the axle itself. work the bearing back and forth spinning it to make sure it gets under the bearing thoroughly.

its the outer axle bearing. not the ones in the knuckles.
there is no flange machined on the axles so red locktite is required so they dont work their way out of the axle housing and up against the CV joint
Make sure everything is clean so the Loctite can get a grab.

Wondering if there is enough room to get a narrow collar with a set screw or two in there.

Cutting a groove into the shaft to accept an E-clip won't work as it would introduce an obvious weak spot into the bone.....

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #122
RCC Addict

My bearings are dead, in lots of pieces, I need some more
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #123
Rock Crawler

Default solution

I didnt forsee this being this big of an issue. Ill come up with a cure this weekend. Ive been sick so it might be at the end of the weekend.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #124
RCC Addict

I put loc-tite in and outside the bearings today, a healthy coat. Also I got to thinking that when I screw the C's on it spreads the ends of the axle a little, so I added extra set screws in the C's hoping to clamp the axle tighter on the bearing. Deff kept the C's from slopping, I'll test a little tomorrow and comp Saturday and see how it works.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #125
Rock Crawler

Default bearing retention

a very small amount of ca glue will set the bearing on the shaft(and quickly as well) I would suggest pre-assembling the shafts into the housing and then pulling them out just a little bit and adding the ca. once glued the bearings are challenging to get to move. I think the issue depends greatly on the housings u have and the c's. in my testers the bearings didnt move out. Though issues always show up when a large group of crawlers get ahold of anything!!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Received mine yesterday just waiting on VP high steer 0 ackerman knuckles my question is are you putting the (red lock tight/super glue) on the axle or the Cs?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #127
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i have the axial c's and the bta and i have not had any bearing walk yet
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #128
Quarry Creeper

I tried putting a short piece of heat shrink on the end of the axle leaving about 1/8" overhang then heating it to create a lip to hold the bearing in. Worked great until I went to put the C's back on and they wouldn't fit over the heat shrink.

I failed.

Again.

Lol
Phylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #129
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

How about putting a small spacer on the axle first, then sliding the bearing on? Might take a few tries, but it should work, I'll try it when I get around to installing mine.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #130
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Customz View Post
Though issues always show up when a large group of crawlers get ahold of anything!!
i'm having no troubles now with the red locktite so i have no complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
How about putting a small spacer on the axle first, then sliding the bearing on? Might take a few tries, but it should work, I'll try it when I get around to installing mine.
if i'm thinking of what you are thinking it would interfere with the cvd joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylodog View Post
I tried putting a short piece of heat shrink on the end of the axle leaving about 1/8" overhang then heating it to create a lip to hold the bearing in. Worked great until I went to put the C's back on and they wouldn't fit over the heat shrink.

I failed.

Again.

Lol
that sounds like a good idea. not sure how you wouldn't be able to fit the C's back on though

here is what i picture when you described what your talking about. the black would be the heat shrink and the grey would be the bearing

romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #131
Quarry Creeper

I actually tried putting heat shrink around the axle housing rather than the shaft. The shaft, as you demonstrated, might just work. I'll have to give that a shot.
Phylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #132
0 0

ahh i understand what you were trying now
Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #133
Rock Crawler

Default ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
i have the axial c's and the bta and i have not had any bearing walk yet
I think that it totally depends on the clearances that are in each individual housing. the test housings also had no issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Received mine yesterday just waiting on VP high steer 0 ackerman knuckles my question is are you putting the (red lock tight/super glue) on the axle or the Cs?
in both cases the application would be to the bearing surface of the shaft. apply lightly (so as to not have it get up on the side of the bearing when the bearing gets slid on) and then slide the bearing on. the red loctite is how the bearings are retained in the end of the berg tubes. in this application there seems to be enough tolerance difference that the red hasent spanned the gap/stuck to the plastic. so my thought was to try the ca glue on the bearing surface. It makes it rather hard to remove the bearing(im sure a little heat and they would slide right off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylodog View Post
I actually tried putting heat shrink around the axle housing rather than the shaft. The shaft, as you demonstrated, might just work. I'll have to give that a shot.

Im sure this worked well also. it would have kept the two halves of the housing from spreading, and allowing the bearings to walk.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #134
RCC Addict

I'll try all of the above once I get the new bearings. I think I will also try some type of shim between the housing and the bearing.
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Removing the bearing from the shaft when ca glue is used shouldn't be that tricky with a pencil torch.

Just so I'm on the right track the bearing is glued to the shaft and I should try the red Lock tight first as it works in some situations just not all.... or just go straight to the ca glue method for installation?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #136
0 0

the red locktite is working great for me. i just pulled mine apart to regrease them and had a heck of a time getting the bearings off of the shaft.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #137
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
...if i'm thinking of what you are thinking it would interfere with the cvd joint.
I should have been more detailed. What I was thinking of would be a small, tight fitting steel ring that would prevent the movement, and not hit the edge of the cup, much like your little black mark next to the bearing in the pic.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 AM   #138
0 0

that would work as long as you could get it to stay still.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #139
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
the red locktite is working great for me. i just pulled mine apart to regrease them and had a heck of a time getting the bearings off of the shaft.
Romulus what Cs (manufacturer) are you running?

Did you use heat to remove your bearings?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #140
0 0

pretty sure they are made by golden horizon. just some cheapies

i didn't add heat to remove the bearings. tapped it off using the top of my nut driver.