Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Super 300 interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #141
RCC Addict

A little testing last night and 6 courses today and the bearings didn't budge any, not sure if it was the loctite or the extra setscrews but the C's are still tight after a heck of a beating so the extra setscrews deff helped that. Picked up the 9901 dremel bit after the comp so I'll see how it does on the HD stock ratio gears tomorrow.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
A little testing last night and 6 courses today and the bearings didn't budge any, not sure if it was the loctite or the extra setscrews but the C's are still tight after a heck of a beating so the extra setscrews deff helped that. Picked up the 9901 dremel bit after the comp so I'll see how it does on the HD stock ratio gears tomorrow.
Say you don't have a picture of that set screw set up do you?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #143
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Say you don't have a picture of that set screw set up do you?
I can take one but it's pretty simple, I have the Axial clockable C's and just put 3x3mm setscrews in the empty holes. When I first put the C's on they wobbled after the first course same as the CKRC's I had been running for a year, now there nice and tight.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Thanks I see I thought you had installed a set screw on the bearing to help hold it in place after full assembly so basically your Axial Cs and red loctight that and thats working for you?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #145
RCC Addict

Yes and I was very happy that the C's actually stayed tight.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Cool I'm running Axial Cs and knuckles and I hope mine hold tight like yours with just the red locktight.

How much run time do you have on them?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #147
RCC Addict

About 10 minutes at home (digging at full throttle with an 18.5) and 6 courses with a lot of wheelspeed used, before I added the setcrews my C's would wobble a little after 1 course though.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

That sounds like a good test.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #149
Quarry Creeper

First impression:

Mine just arrived in the mail today and the pictures don't do justice as to how stout these are in comparison to the MIP or Axial versions.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

I installed 300s today everything went smoothly I used red locktight and I'm not looking forward to getting them off. I had to use my Panavise to get them to seat all the way they are definatly on. One drive shaft is a tiny bit long the knuckle doesn't swing freely enough I intend to take a little off the shoulder of the axle that goes into the locker with a file. A straight carbide Dremel bit makes qwick work of enlarging the center hole in the hardened ring gear. I'm waiting on some zero Akerman knuckles but even with the high clearance Axial knuckles the steering is much improved. It's a nicely done kit and was fun to install it also adds some nice low weight in the front as a added bonus.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #151
sim
Quarry Creeper

What's everyone using to make the holes in their HD/Underdrive/Overdrive gears? A drill or a Dremel?
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #152
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I installed 300s today everything went smoothly I used red locktight and I'm not looking forward to getting them off. I had to use my Panavise to get them to seat all the way they are definatly on. One drive shaft is a tiny bit long the knuckle doesn't swing freely enough I intend to take a little off the shoulder of the axle that goes into the locker with a file. A straight carbide Dremel bit makes qwick work of enlarging the center hole in the hardened ring gear. I'm waiting on some zero Akerman knuckles but even with the high clearance Axial knuckles the steering is much improved. It's a nicely done kit and was fun to install it also adds some nice low weight in the front as a added bonus.
I had the same issue with the binding. I ended up drilling out the hole that mounts the C to the axle 9/64" so i could slide the c out just a **** hair to line the knuckle up to the stub
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
What's everyone using to make the holes in their HD/Underdrive/Overdrive gears? A drill or a Dremel?
You need a straight carbide Dremel bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper_05 View Post
I had the same issue with the binding. I ended up drilling out the hole that mounts the C to the axle 9/64" so i could slide the c out just a **** hair to line the knuckle up to the stub
Thanks Jeeper gotta do something the bind gets worse as the steering turns tighter the othe side is totally free.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #154
Quarry Creeper

I used a dremel.

On the subject of bearing retention, I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm using RC4WD C's and they are designed such that they capture the bearing in the end of the axle housing. No loctite or CA needed!

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #155
I wanna be Dave

I think the way I will take is file the square shoulder end of the axle that goes into the locker unless I hear other wise from SDS Customz.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #156
Rock Crawler

Default carbide drill and a file

i used a carbide drill on my axial overdrive gears, cut like butta, then a regular file on the tang of the shaft that was approximately .020" too long. smooth turnin now
willipmartinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #157
Rock Crawler

As ive posted before, I ran the tolerances tight on the shaft length to keep engagment to a maximum. they fit perfect in all of the test housings . though we have found several housing differances of over .020. A few guys have acctually had issues getting the lockers to fit. since the bearing cutout in the locker area where molded tighter, in some cases. I wont settle on a sloppy fit! I think we all agree that sloppy sucks in any venue With that said if u question having to trim or shave a little hear or there then pm me and we will discuss it. otherwise, just use common sense.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #158
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipmartinni View Post
i used a carbide drill on my axial overdrive gears, cut like butta, then a regular file on the tang of the shaft that was approximately .020" too long. smooth turnin now
Thanks .02 is just about the size of my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Customz View Post
As ive posted before, I ran the tolerances tight on the shaft length to keep engagment to a maximum. they fit perfect in all of the test housings . though we have found several housing differances of over .020. A few guys have acctually had issues getting the lockers to fit. since the bearing cutout in the locker area where molded tighter, in some cases. I wont settle on a sloppy fit! I think we all agree that sloppy sucks in any venue With that said if u question having to trim or shave a little hear or there then pm me and we will discuss it. otherwise, just use common sense.
Thanks for a great kit nice improvement for our trucks.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #159
Rock Crawler

Stormin2u- I love the sig line!
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Hey thanks it's something that Pat 62PYRO came up with and it's true I take my time with everything I'm not big on speed building it usually Leads to problems.

By the way love the axles I've ran a few packs and everything is working perfectly and the steering is awesome.