Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Underground Crawlers Fastback chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Well, at least they're better than your first picture

Delrin crossbars would help shed some weight, and remove it from up high...The aluminum bars will be ditched for the final product.

Looks good with the panels on though...can't wait to see some good pictures
Thanks Juan! I have some 1/4" delrin rod at home, I was going to cut and drill it last night, but it was 3:30am by the time I got the panels on. I should get them done tonight.

I am going to leave two aluminum ones down low for rigidity, and the rest from 1/4" delrin.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #22
RCC Addict

oooooo

definately like!
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I just got back to my desk and an engineer from the company I work for had all the body panels off in his hand

I was about to get upset until I saw black zipties in his other hand, he replaced all the clear ties with black for me

I am going over to the park at lunch if it stops raining to get photos otherwise they will be after work and posted this evening. I will get video footage after work weather permitting, it is a bit nasty here today.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I just got back to my desk and an engineer from the company I work for had all the body panels off in his hand

I was about to get upset until I saw black zipties in his other hand, he replaced all the clear ties with black for me

I am going over to the park at lunch if it stops raining to get photos otherwise they will be after work and posted this evening. I will get video footage after work weather permitting, it is a bit nasty here today.
haha, don't you just hate how engineers think they know everything???

also, are you using EXACTLY the same links and gear from your FF-4? i wouldn't imagine that the top would add a bit over a half a pound...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
haha, don't you just hate how engineers think they know everything???

also, are you using EXACTLY the same links and gear from your FF-4? i wouldn't imagine that the top would add a bit over a half a pound...
Exactly the same, and it is not over 1/2 lb. It was 5.820, it is now 6.034. just over 1/5th.

Pics are downloading from camera now. It is a bit top heavy right now, I could not make the 80 degree climb, I kept toppling over. Replacing the cross braces with delrin should sort that out.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Exactly the same, and it is not over 1/2 lb. It was 5.820, it is now 6.034. just over 1/5th.

Pics are downloading from camera now. It is a bit top heavy right now, I could not make the 80 degree climb, I kept toppling over. Replacing the cross braces with delrin should sort that out.

WTF this work BS is really getting in the way. . . I mean its been like 32 min.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
WTF this work BS is really getting in the way. . . I mean its been like 32 min.
No kidding, damn those necessary job type things.... here they are

Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Default Its a winner as far as I concerned.

I realize you are worried about it being top heavy but it does look cool and thats all that really matters right?

I like it mucho.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

So Rich how does it crawl compaired to the FF-4

Looks good!
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I realize you are worried about it being top heavy but it does look cool and thats all that really matters right?

I like it mucho.
No sir. I comp weekly, top heavy is a very legit concern for me. It is not too top heavy, just a few grams, and I only noticed it on an 80 degree... yes 80 degree climb. No where but Miramar Regional park would you even consider an extended climb of 70+ degrees, so for most places it is fine.

The traction at Miramar bends the rules a bit, and what would elsewhere be impossible becomes an option here.

I will get it where I want it, it is "untuned" for now, though the baseline is my FF-4 settings, so partially tuned?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
So Rich how does it crawl compaired to the FF-4

Looks good!
Climbs all but stupid angles (80 degrees) the same, side hills on par, descends the same, digs better though that might be swapping front upper links to aluminum from delrin.

All in all is drives great! I only got about 5 minutes of driving in though, was taking photos and had to eat lunch on my lunch break.

If it does not rain, I am going back after work to run a few packs, try some of the harder lines, and maybe get some video.

I was dressed in shirt, tie, wool slacks, and dress shoes, not the best crawling garb.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

lookin good! i am defenitly going to have to get one when they are out to the public
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
ahhh, gotcha.

well, from my designer perspective, i say to shed some weight, us thin walled delrin tubing on all the upper cross braces, except for where the shocks mount up, keep those aluminum.

also maybe try a thinner delrin plat for the top. maybe go one or 1.5mm's thinner....

just some of my thoughts on shedding some of the high side weight...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was dressed in shirt, tie, wool slacks, and dress shoes, not the best crawling garb.
Maybe a new trend setter?

Yeah, hopefully it goes to production, I'd be down for one.
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ahhh, gotcha.

well, from my designer perspective, i say to shed some weight, us thin walled delrin tubing on all the upper cross braces, except for where the shocks mount up, keep those aluminum.

also maybe try a thinner delrin plat for the top. maybe go one or 1.5mm's thinner....

just some of my thoughts on shedding some of the high side weight...
I have some 1/4" delrin rod I am going to drill and tap 3m for the cross braces.

The shocks actually are not mounted into aluminum. The rears are are just bolted to the chassis, and the fronts are spaced off the chassis a bit inboard and using drilled 1/4 delrin rod to tie together.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Cool pix!
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Nice!

The panels definitely change the overall look...still diggin it though.

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have some 1/4" delrin rod I am going to drill and tap 3m for the cross braces.

The shocks actually are not mounted into aluminum. The rears are are just bolted to the chassis, and the fronts are spaced off the chassis a bit inboard and using drilled 1/4 delrin rod to tie together.
oh, nice. well, in that case, since the upper part doesn't support anything structurally except itself, then lightening it up by using lighter materials should be no issue at all.

right now, from the sounds of things, the "weak point" structurally sounds like the 4 bolts that hold the top to the bottom....
Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
right now, from the sounds of things, the "weak point" structurally sounds like the 4 bolts that hold the top to the bottom....
They seem fine. I intentionally dropped it from over my head on to concrete upside down and it just bounced
Old 06-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT18T View Post
Nice!

The panels definitely change the overall look...still diggin it though.

-
Panels are only needed for comp, and I am not the best panel maker. These were made at 3am, half dunk, 3/4 sleeping, and not very focused. I will work out better side panels down the line.