Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Frogger's BAD COP twin!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #41
Tossin' Salad

I built my 4 link setups last night. I bent the links with a lighter to accomodate the angles of the 4 link plates. The caster in the front is about +4 degrees, and the rear is around +2 degrees.

Also, yesterday, I ordered a BR-XL and a Team Brood Creep Type R 35T.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #42
Tossin' Salad

I just ordered some MIP driveshafts and a replacement axle housing with clockable Cs.

Thanks TCS

And, as of right now, this is the proposed wiring diagram I will use to setup my BEC and dual servos.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 09-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Looks good to me I got to say you win points for ingenious front link designs Some people say the cars do better with the links under the front plate, its just an idea so I dunno if you have tried it or not, just a thought. Tried clocking your knuckles back with your tubes or... not yet
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #44
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Looks good to me I got to say you win points for ingenious front link designs Some people say the cars do better with the links under the front plate, its just an idea so I dunno if you have tried it or not, just a thought. Tried clocking your knuckles back with your tubes or... not yet
Well, my links need to be on top as they will conflict with my drag link. Second, I am a firm believer in vertical separation at the axle.

As for the knuckle clocking...to be honest, I am just not interrested in it yet. Also, I just dont want my tires to be all up in my battery and servo.

Casey
Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Gotcha, yeah everyone says it different. I take it as "tomato tomoto"

Oooh man you don't know what your missing, the steering's way better due to the improved approach angle on the tires, now that's just me but whatever, just me. Time to turn more tubes at home... once I get a new M3x.5 tap, stupid mistake today broke it after like 40 holes, its like "really... misalignment not old age" did it in
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #46
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Gotcha, yeah everyone says it different. I take it as "tomato tomoto"

Oooh man you don't know what your missing, the steering's way better due to the improved approach angle on the tires, now that's just me but whatever, just me. Time to turn more tubes at home... once I get a new M3x.5 tap, stupid mistake today broke it after like 40 holes, its like "really... misalignment not old age" did it in
I never looked at the clocking that way, but thanks for the tips. I will look into it further. That sucks about the tap. Sounds like a Chinese tap. Haha.

As for the links, if I can squeeze the drag links under there with no issue, I will attempt to put the links underneath.

Casey
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Yeah clocking does "nothing" for movin the tires into your stuff... that's that. I found it worked good and i said guys like Gunnar... wouldn't go to such great engineering lengths if it was just a bunch of hokus pukus

Well lets see... I was lining the tap up and I was in a bad mood/tired and it was a long spiral tipped TIN coated tap from McMaster... lets say it threads in... comes up and "wait is that a tap sitting on the part.... OOH NO done with tapping for the day " So there goes the rims for today, so now its called "do I nag someone to drive me to Travers to get my tools so we can save shipping " but ya, got to love snapping your own freeking tools
Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #48
Tossin' Salad

My other issue would be with my tie rod. As it sits right now, my tie rod is just one hair away from my springs. If I attempt to clock any further, it would need a redesign.

Casey
Old 09-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Oh good point, forgot with BTA's its a mess with clocking... shims on the knuckles. Heck look what Gunnar did, and he just had a hacksaw and a blowtorch
Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #50
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Oh good point, forgot with BTA's its a mess with clocking... shims on the knuckles. Heck look what Gunnar did, and he just had a hacksaw and a blowtorch
I don't have a blowtorch, just a big lighter. Casey has enough smarts to come up with his own solution. My clocked steering still needs some work, but it's pretty close. It will be improved with some adjustments.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #51
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I don't have a blowtorch, just a big lighter. Casey has enough smarts to come up with his own solution. My clocked steering still needs some work, but it's pretty close. It will be improved with some adjustments.
I appreciate the confidence booster Scott.

[pushes the "Steering for Dummies" book under another book/]
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

i like your upper links. i was thinking that may be what i have to do on mine to keep my geometry where its at and keep the rod ends from binding on the 4 link plate. right now its preventing me from getting the articulation i want.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #53
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
i like your upper links. i was thinking that may be what i have to do on mine to keep my geometry where its at and keep the rod ends from binding on the 4 link plate. right now its preventing me from getting the articulation i want.
On mine, it is a must. My steering goes right under the plate, and the plate angle is such that the links "must" have some bend somewhere. I accomplished something similar on my other Frogger build by using the bent ends provided by Axial. They look like the LOSI lower link ends.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #54
Tossin' Salad

Well, it seems I am nearly finished. It is just a waiting game for the final parts now.

My axle shafts are stuck in customs, and will clear Friday.
My wheels from B.A.M. will be in the mail within the next couple days.
The BR-XL is ordered and being processed.
The Brood Creep Type R (35T) is ordered and being processed.
The MIP driveshafts are in the mail from TCS.
Tomorrow, I will order up an SR300 receiver, and that should be it.

Today:

Installed JeepinDoug Spring cups
filled shocks with oil
finished the drag links (attached to the tie rods as I originally intended). I am happy to report I have nearly the same throw left and right.
cycled and dialed in the suspension to where I want it.

I love the stance! I think it should be about 2.5" from the skid to the ground. LOW AND MEAN!

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 09-15-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #55
Tossin' Salad

Paul over at B.A.M. sent me this picture of my wheels. They are being sent out tomorrow. I think they will look awesome on this bad frogger.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

those wheels are sick
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

wow casey thats looking great and barney purple wheels cool.

on a side note I have been well past busy I have spud day in shelley tomorrow I almost have my frogger done just have to put esc and rec in the rig then drive it!

Last edited by rockerrc; 09-17-2010 at 08:55 PM.
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #58
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion ax-10 View Post
those wheels are sick
YEP! Paul does nice work. He has a vendor thread in the wheels section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerrc View Post
wow casey thats looking great and barney purple wheels cool.

on a side note I have been well past busy I have spud day in shelley tomorrow I almost have my frogger done just have to put esc and rec in the rig then drive it!
Yeah, the Barney purple will make sense when you see the completed setup. I cant wait.

Spud day...that sounds like fun. I will see if my dad plans to attend.
It will be cool to see what you do to solve your upper link issue in full droop. Get that sucker runnin.

Casey
Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #59
Tossin' Salad

Today I received my 3Racing CVDs. It is about time. They had to travel a whole 50 miles to get to me from 3Racing, and it took 9 days. Stupid customs.

Anyway, got the 3Racing CVDs installed, 3Racing hexs installed, and stuffed the front with 36/14 HD gears.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #60
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I hope the pins for them don't take as long to get there Steering looks good Casey.

Those wheels are sick, do they use SLW hubs? Looks like it.

Last edited by gunnar; 09-18-2010 at 12:51 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote