Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Irok22s Underground Crawlers Fastback!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Big pimpin bro... thanks... feel free to highjack anytime man lol.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
I have little strips of Velcro on the mount plate, both sides of the battery and on the inside of the guard. Those keep it from sliding around. The strap just holds it all down and is easy to remove.
Looking good Mike! Nice to see that ole' dog still kickin'
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Thanks DT if I ever get any motivation to work on it (damn snow) i'll change the skinz so it doesnt look so much like its yours still. Oh and Ive been playing with my HH 35t with a 15t pinion and 4s lipo around the house. Holy crap is all I can say. Its just stupid. All I can think is why oh why didnt I use 4s all last season. The xr is gettin 4s for sure

I remember your fb flip over test video. Picture that except jumping up the wall about 10'' first. Wish I had a way to record my roll over test.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #44
RCC Addict

holy 15t on 4s? That must be just nuts. I'm doing 4s in my xr for sure... still debating if I should sell my stuff on my fb and convert over to 4s.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Okay!!!!! Everyone needs to knock it off with all this XR10 and 4s nonsense! I got my FB and now EVERYONE'S moving to XR's and now this lipo stuff, I can't afford to keep up arrrrrrrrgggggjhhhh. I had a Guy at my local course, walk up and say " wow, it lives", meaning the shafty, he followed this up by praising them and saying its a great place to start. I have to admit, its tough being one of if not the only shafty competing on a course designed around MOA rigs. What I need everyone of you to do is stick with a shafty and go back to stick packs, I feel this is fair, whadda ya say guys?.

All kidding aside, keep up the great work, I get a lot of great ideas from watching these builds.
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by day215 View Post
Okay!!!!! Everyone needs to knock it off with all this XR10 and 4s nonsense! I got my FB and now EVERYONE'S moving to XR's and now this lipo stuff, I can't afford to keep up arrrrrrrrgggggjhhhh. I had a Guy at my local course, walk up and say " wow, it lives", meaning the shafty, he followed this up by praising them and saying its a great place to start. I have to admit, its tough being one of if not the only shafty competing on a course designed around MOA rigs. What I need everyone of you to do is stick with a shafty and go back to stick packs, I feel this is fair, whadda ya say guys?.

All kidding aside, keep up the great work, I get a lot of great ideas from watching these builds.

LoL I hear you. Im not giving up on the shafty either. I am building a xr but I still plan to comp the shafty every once in awhile. Plus its just fun to drive.. You can keep your stick packs tho
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Here my thing... If I'm building a 2.2 comp rig I'll do moa... why bother with a shafty and dig? It's just a waste of time. But sporty is a whole other ball of wax. I built a sporty rig for sportsman and I'll build an xr for a 2.2 comp rig. Best of both worlds
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Here my thing... If I'm building a 2.2 comp rig I'll do moa... why bother with a shafty and dig? It's just a waste of time. But sporty is a whole other ball of wax. I built a sporty rig for sportsman and I'll build an xr for a 2.2 comp rig. Best of both worlds
I know my Fastback will go sporty when I get an MOA built
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

My club ditched sportsman so sense I have a vp dig in it now it might as well stay there. I really dont have the need to make it sportsman. Plus if I did want to I can always unplug the dig servo and zip tie the arm, 2.2 pro shafty it will stay. It will be for those days when I feel I need to prove a shafty is still some what competitive. Yes my primary 2.2 comp rig is moa.

I still have love for the shafty class tho, thats why I will keep it and continue to use it. The way it looks right now my pops is going to comp with it this spring. So I guess that means I will have to maintain 2 rigs for the upcoming series. I am excited to get him into the comp sceen more. I think this will be a great starter rig for him.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not so fast, I've been improving my shaft truck for 5 years and every season I see a few MOA's in my rearview mirrors. Mikey took a first place last season in his shafty I had mine in second and third a couple of times and the MNRCRC is a fairly big club too. There is nothing like beating a guy with a $1800 set up with your old shafty.

But I do agree build a MOA if your buying a new rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
My club ditched sportsman so sense I have a vp dig in it now it might as well stay there. I really dont have the need to make it sportsman. Plus if I did want to I can always unplug the dig servo and zip tie the arm, 2.2 pro shafty it will stay. It will be for those days when I feel I need to prove a shafty is still some what competitive. Yes my primary 2.2 comp rig is moa.

I still have love for the shafty class tho, thats why I will keep it and continue to use it. The way it looks right now my pops is going to comp with it this spring. So I guess that means I will have to maintain 2 rigs for the upcoming series. I am excited to get him into the comp sceen more. I think this will be a great starter rig for him.
That sounds good about pops Mike I look forward to it.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post

Not so fast, I've been improving my shaft truck for 5 years and every season I see a few MOA's in my rearview mirrors. Mikey took a first place last season in his shafty I had mine in second and third a couple of times and the MNRCRC is a fairly big club too. There is nothing like beating a guy with a $1800 set up with your old shafty.

But I do agree build a MOA if your buying a new rig.

That sounds good about pops Mike I look forward to it.

Thanks norm, ya the shafty did shine one time with a flawless day.
I figured you would be happy to hear about my dad runnin my fastback.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Ya shafties are good don't get me wrong but a great driver with a shafty or moa, the moa will be better lol. But ya shafties are a ton of fun... I would love if my pops would come.. maybe after my xr is done and if my wife won't drive the fb all the time I'll see if dad will try it... but I doubt it.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Ok So I finally did a rebuild on the FB. I actually have a roller again as I type this but I'll start from the begining. If anyone has any questions fire away.

I also finally installed some of the parts I have had for a long time and never got around to using. I put in a set of tubes similar to gunnars but I made them myself. I also got my felenfest lockers put in. I did steal the handwound motor and 7950 I had in it for another project... The shafty now rocks a hobbico cs-170 and a HH 35t sport, but hey it still rocks on 4s so tell I decide to buy another handwound this one will work.

So I started by taking the pannels off and snapping some pics of the slapped together where ever it fit setup I was running when I first got the chassis from DT. It was the night before a comp and then it worked so I just left it that way. Then I pulled the good motor and put in the sport and the install got even more ugly after that.

Here is the uglyness in all its glory

Then before I knew it I had just a pile of parts.

I then thought I wish I would have confirmed my RTR weight before I tore it down so I piled every last screw onto the scale to double check. Yep still 6.2 lbs. It should be well under 6lbs after the rebuild is complete.

I took a bunch of pics of random items weight too as I was taking it apart. I still need to upload a bunch of pics so Ill post them up here and there.

Front axle before mods rtr

Rear axle before mods rtr

esc and bec plus crap wiring

Tranny vp dig and dig servo before mods

Ok well that should do it for now. I need to sort the pics in my camera and upload them to photobucket. I'll update when I have more time.

Things that are coming; Tube install, wicked clocked C's, lowered servo battery/ 4link plate, pain in the a$$ bta steering setup, all electronics uncased and moved to front links and front axle. I moved everything as low and as far forward as possible. And I am shooting for a RTR weight of 5.5 lbs with the same weight in the tires that I ran before. Should be a good time stay tuned......
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Right on bro looking good. BTA is a PITA for sure but the clocked C's are so worth the pita bta!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Ya pipedreams I agree way clocked c's and BTA is such a pain in the a$$... well worth it tho!

I still havent went through all my pics and uploaded them yet but here is a crappy cell pic of the madness

the rig is a little tipped towards the rear from level in this pic so it does appear to be a bit much but then again I've been wrong before

and a pic of the wicked clocked c's on my mrc

Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
pita bta!

That right there is way to much abbreviation
Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Mike did you drill new holes in the axle and rotate the Cs to get that much clocking? Your drive shaft would indicate that.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #58
RCC Addict

You might have already thought through this but here are some ideas. Before I went MOA and gave my FB to my son I did some stuff that I think made a difference in terms of dropping and lowering weight.
1. I groved both the top and bottom of the skid with my drill press. It helps slide easier and also helps create wires channels under the tranny..
2. I have a MMP on the back links and I went ahead and ran the battery wires through the underside of the tranny to try and get that weight as low as possible. Same with the dig servo.
3. I stuck my bec under my servo trey which was lowered as well. I tried to stick my WAS dig adapter under that as well but it wound up not working out and it is up on top of the servo tray with the battery.
4. I drilled the crapola out of my servo tray. (for weight)

Moral of the story is that I was trying to get as much weight as close to the axle height as possible, and then reduce weight where possible. I trimmed all wiring to make sure no excessive wiring was running everywhere. Just after I wrapped that up a used MOA hit the market that was to good to refuse so off I went. I did drive my son's rig some this weekend and it was sure fun to be back with the shafty. Fun to play with for sure.

Most importantly though Irok is nice build!
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Ya norm I drilled new holes. I also drilled holes in the middle of the axle housing to attach the tubes to, just too be sure they wouldn't move. I have better pics I'll get up as soon as I can. If u got any questions let me know.

Rick, if u look close u can see the bec under the steering servo, and the rx is under the other side. I am running a uncased sidewinder and mounted it under the front links. All wires are trimmed to length and motor wires are ran under the tranny. So ya I agree. I moved everything as low and as far forward as I could. I haven't drilled any holes to make things lighter.. Yet.....
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #60
RCC Addict

OK. I see what you are talking about. Very cool. By dripping my servo/batt tray I was not able to shove much more under there than my bec which is unfortunate in some regards but I decided a heavy servo/battery is better to have lower than an uncased rx. I like the ESC idea though. Now I might have to tinker some.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote