Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My Must Stop Buying AX10 build using Fastback II chassis.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Awesome!!!!!
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

upon Juans instruction. flipped the skid plate so the fly wheel was facing the hood/front axle. still having clearance issues. Edit: it's the stock sealed end bell like MRC said it was. He's right, the skid is drilled perfectly.

Last edited by Crawford; 08-11-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

you can do it Crawford...I've been secretly lurking in here watching this thread....
what are you using to shoot the pictures...nice clean close-ups
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #64
RCC Addict

im guessing because your running the stock caned-endbell motor, because modify-able motors have move clearance.. will post pics of the difference.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #65
RCC Addict

This is your standard canned endbell motor

This is a modified motor: (the one in my crawler is a bit shorter than the ^standard canned endbell, but this motor is longer than standard, but you get the idea...)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
you can do it Crawford...I've been secretly lurking in here watching this thread....
what are you using to shoot the pictures...nice clean close-ups
On what page? almost all of this build has been documented with my droid X...

Haven't pulled out the bigger camera yet.

Mrc, Hopefully I'll figure out a way to run this 27t.... I don't really want to spend 50 bucks on a new motor then another 50-60 on MIP's. Thanks for the lengths bro I'm gonna measure that stupid axial motor brb.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
On what page? almost all of this build has been documented with my droid X...
Mrc, Hopefully I'll figure out a way to run this 27t.... I don't really want to spend 50 bucks on a new motor then another 50-60 on MIP's. Thanks for the lengths bro I'm gonna measure that stupid axial motor brb.
WOOHOO!! goo android phones

Actually.. you may be able to get through spacing the center housing up from the skid plate.. although your COG will be altered even by 2-3mm height..

how much are you wiling to spend? i may go help you find a motor cheap
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

motor & plate run 2.02 inches.. doesn't seem excessively long...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
WOOHOO!! goo android phones

Actually.. you may be able to get through spacing the center housing up from the skid plate.. although your COG will be altered even by 2-3mm height..

how much are you wiling to spend? i may go help you find a motor cheap
What did you have in mind?

If I were to get another motor I'd buy the good stuff the first time. probably an HH 35turn so I can run a steel pinion and have a little more power & low end crawlability...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
What did you have in mind?

If I were to get another motor I'd buy the good stuff the first time. probably an HH 35turn so I can run a steel pinion and have a little more power & low end crawlability...
ah i see. I was thinking a Tekin motor. they had motors for like $10-20 awhile back on rpphobby.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
ah i see. I was thinking a Tekin motor. they had motors for like $10-20 awhile back on rpphobby.
I may check them out, for 10-20 bucks can't really hurt to try it and see how I like it. Thanks for the tip, any specific type you'd suggest?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
I may check them out, for 10-20 bucks can't really hurt to try it and see how I like it. Thanks for the tip, any specific type you'd suggest?
that was awhile back though

Any brand overall is good.. JUST not integy or Venom.
but id say, for a low price, Tekin is one of the best. But you can get a HH 35T for 28.99 now, which is about the price of any other motor on the market. unless your looking at the comp spec ones from HH.
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1

Personally, i believe all motors are the same, in terms of how they run, low ends, high ends, but in the end, its life, and durability seem to be a big deal. What seperates the motors are Handwound VS Machinewound. Machinewound i believe is good enough for weekend crawling and little comping.. Handwound is good for comping, and too good for just weekend crawling IMO.

Right now im running a weird setup on my XR, Handwound on front, Machinewound on rear. Both have same power output, high-end.. But the difference is big in the Low end and Smooth start department.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #73
RCC Addict

but i must admit.. I ran RC4wd canned endbell motors for along time on my XR-10, and they are 10 EA!

I got through 2 comps with them, and with them i got a pretty good place for a 1st timer.

They were very good to me, and i still run them, however, i gave one to Brownie, since his rear motor died out.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

What's wrong with the Integy's ??? I got mine for $19 ...if you take care of them they should last...I'm just a weekend warior though. They've been good to me....watch, now that I said something they'll die
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
What's wrong with the Integy's ??? I got mine for $19 ...if you take care of them they should last...I'm just a weekend warior though. They've been good to me....watch, now that I said something they'll die
The only integy thing I own is older than the crawler I have, which is a set of hex wrench drivers I bought back in my t-maxx days and found by chance...

The integy drivers worked fine up until today when I looked at my 2.5mm driver a little funny, it got mad and the shaft started to spin inside the handle.

I'm looking around, not sure what turn I want... may try just volting up a little bit. Post, what motor are you running? I know it wont correlate to mine since the gearing i'm sure is way different but I thought I'd ask.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
not to ruin them for you, but ive read that bearings fail, brushes fail, the shaft gets unbalanced.. i think ive posted a thread and someone said that.. ill go digging for it

Well, actually.. going back to the thread.. seems like its okay, but this is what i read of the most bad comment on them from another user.
Integy Pro Lathe motors any good?

Last edited by MRCCRAWLER1.9; 08-09-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
The only integy thing I own is older than the crawler I have, which is a set of hex wrench drivers I bought back in my t-maxx days and found by chance...

The integy drivers worked fine up until today when I looked at my 2.5mm driver a little funny, it got mad and the shaft started to spin inside the handle.

I'm looking around, not sure what turn I want... may try just volting up a little bit. Post, what motor are you running? I know it wont correlate to mine since the gearing i'm sure is way different but I thought I'd ask.
I would say 35T is good mix of torque and speed. 45T is too much torque, too little speed for an AX-10. but is 27T too fast? or is it too fast?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I would say 35T is good mix of torque and speed. 45T is too much torque, too little speed for an AX-10. but is 27T too fast? or is it too fast?
I like the 27t with a 14t pinion, just don't like the little aluminum pinion and lack of low end torque, lack of low end/slow control, or drag brake.

Seems like a 35t would fit the bill maybe with a 20t pinion.... we'll see.

I think in the mean time I'll try shimming the trans/motor up a little to get it to fit in nice for the weekend.

Last edited by Crawford; 08-09-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
I like the 27t with a 14t pinion, just don't like the little aluminum pinion and lack of low end torque, lack of low end/slow control, or drag brake.

Seems like a 35t would fit the bill maybe with a 20t pinion.... we'll see.

I think in the mean time I'll try shimming the trans/motor up a little to get it to fit in nice for the weekend.
sounds like 45T may be an option.. i think brownie might have an extra. ill ask and see if he has it.

hmm, weird, i just saw another fast back, and it looked like he didnt have an issue.. but pics werent the best. Is your tranny not fitting? or is it just touching even when mounted fully?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
sounds like 45T may be an option.. i think brownie might have an extra. ill ask and see if he has it.

hmm, weird, i just saw another fast back, and it looked like he didnt have an issue.. but pics werent the best. Is your tranny not fitting? or is it just touching even when mounted fully?
it's like the holes were drilled off. the motor is just too far back. Which is why I measured the holes and sent out pics to Juan to confirm they are right... next step is just figuring out wtf is wrong... I've been assembling/disassembling the trans/motor all day playing with it trying to get it to fit properly without luck. I keep coming back to the mounting holes every time.