Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: another ax10 build, it's a 2.2 esse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #141
Rock Crawler

Default Re: another ax10 build, it's a 2.2 esse

Welcome to another stream of consciousness, brought to you by opek!

I picked up a 16t 5 slot Brood Apocolypse. Holy shit I can recover when I'm on flat ground. It's pretty amazing. Much more low speed control than my 55t, similar torque, and a shitload of wheel speed. Super fun!

I picked up some axial black 1lb/in springs (thanks Danny), but they don't feel very soft compared to the Losi blacks. As a matter of fact they feel like a Losi Gold. The rate really skyrockets as they compress. When they are 25% compressed they exhibit the same rate as the golds - 10oz. I'll have to get out on the rocks to figure it out, but I'll probably stick with the Losi blacks for now. I'd really like a nice .8-1lb spring, though. Any recommendations? Ultimately I want very soft spring all around and enough squat dialed in that I can keep the rig from lifting tires like a dog pissing with throttle in either direction, instead of stiff ass springs.

On that note I still have some issues with the rear end lifting the upper tire when sidehilling, I think this is in part to my lack of triangulation all around in the rear. I will try to bring the lowers in some, as when the suspension is compressed the near parallel lower links lower cause the roll center to lower. I have no idea if that will impact the rig, but it's worth a shot. Either way there is enough squat the thing sucks the tire back down when I hit forward throttle. It will pull the tire down in reverse, but not in as extreme of a situation. All in all it's not at all horrible as it sits.

4 cells are fun! Do yourself a favor and go buy some 5 dollar skylipo 4s 500mah batteries. I'm sure something is smaller and more appropriately sized for our uses, but I haven't found it yet! (feel free to guide me, haha)

I cut my body to 12 inches like a complete toolbag, so I'm off to find a new one... :(

The other day when I was switching around different rear tire/wheel combos I realized I miss the hoppy rear tires (which are conveniently stowed under a pile of shit on my workbench). Maybe I will go back to the paddle style rear, it was very predictable when driving straight through obstacles.

CI foams up front are so soft, it's everything I've wanted. My tire wads like a true champ without being foamless. More traction in every situation. Life is good!
Attached Images

opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Holy crap! A 16turn on 4s?? That must be crazy fast. I have been wanting to try a 16turn for a while now and i think that i may need to now
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #143
Rock Crawler

A 16t 5 slot is comparable to something around a 32ish turn 3 slot motor.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #144
Rock Crawler

Here is a teaser shot of the new electronics placement. BEC, ESC, and rx all in the volume of the BRXL case. Now everything except the transmission, motor, and shock braces is at or below the top of the pumpkin.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #145
Rock Crawler

The electronics tray didn't turn out as low as I'd like it. It just clears the belly line and link at full compression, leaving everything kind of high at normal ride height and full extension. I will glue the esc to the plate once I get some mini deans on there. The whole electronics package, large deans bec and wires only weighs in at 21 ounces. It's probably a piggy compared to some of the other setups out there, but the brxl without connector weighs like 20oz. wewt!

Here are a few shots of the rig as it sits, it's just about all done. Everything is set and dialed in, except snipping the front tires and mounting the body.

At normal ride height it sits 2.4" in the front of the skid and 2.75" at the rear. It gets about 45* of articulation and remains somewhere near 12.5" wheelbase.

Got some aluminum front uppers in, and I will do the rear uppers when I change out the steel beeftubes to the plastic ones.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Whoa! That is a trick body

I like it, looks good man
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #147
Pebble Pounder

Rigs looking good Shane, looking forward to seeing it in person at Saturdays comp!
d34thw1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #148
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34thw1sh View Post
Rigs looking good Shane, looking forward to seeing it in person at Saturdays comp!
I'm gonna crush you! Just kidding. I wish I wasn't so far behind in points, is it too early to give you a congrats on the season? And thanks for making out local sporty class a lot of fun with your whole crew! Shit's gonna be a bit boring next season.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #149
Pebble Pounder

With all the R&D you've done you better crush me buddy! It's been a fun season, bummed to see it end. Will definitely miss it next year. Love the look of your new body, your rig has come a long way from page 1 of this thread. Was cool to see the manifestation. Thanks for sharing!
d34thw1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #150
Rock Crawler

Just got back from the hobby shop and they threw the rig on their postal scale. The thing weighs 4lb 8oz RTR with a 500mah 4 cell pack! I was floored, I had no idea! Time to think about some knuckle and lockout weights!

That is with the metal beef tubes up front.

Last edited by opek; 05-11-2012 at 08:18 PM.

another ax10 build, it's a 2.2 esse - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new AX10 build.....again MaD222 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 02-25-2012 08:52 PM
ax10 build im not addicted Newbie General 28 03-31-2011 04:56 PM
My AX10 build! OrphanRods Axial AX-10 Scorpion 45 01-20-2010 10:10 PM
ax10 build hodges996 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 10-18-2008 07:27 PM
my ax10 build tapped-out Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 10-26-2007 05:41 AM