Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Project: AX10 + scaler features + dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Project: AX10 + scaler features + dig

Please forgive my ignorance but how is the stinger attached to the bumper? Looking to build something similar for my SCX and this is a huge help. Thanks.

BTW- excellent winch demo.

NVM. Should have looked at the previous pic set.

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 06-25-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvghostrider View Post
Please forgive my ignorance but how is the stinger attached to the bumper? Looking to build something similar for my SCX and this is a huge help. Thanks.

BTW- excellent winch demo.
No problem Look at the third post on page 5. When I made the current bumper, I hooked the stinger on the same way. It just goes right through the current bumper into those blocks/clamps.

Thanks! It's fun playing with that winch.
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Yeah. I need a new motor and then we should do a scale trail run and use the winches.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
Yeah. I need a new motor and then we should do a scale trail run and use the winches.
Sounds good! But no water please. I have $30 for you. Will that fund a motor?

Last edited by Josh_Br; 06-26-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Yes it will. Water proofing is easy and I will gladly do it for you. I prefer rocks though. I want to try extreme winching and I know a good place. I need a pull pal and snatch block.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I want to try extreme winching and I know a good place. I need a pull pal and snatch block.
Sounds good!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Spent a wonderful couple hours in the woods today with Ryan, our boys, and our crawlers. My Bronco did well. I had the front driveshaft come apart, but nothing was broke and it was able to be reassembled while on the trail. I did find that my winch cable is not as long as I would like, so that may be something to improve on in the future. Here are some photos!

Name:  DSCN0193-001.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  151.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0197-001.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0211-001.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  138.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0222-001.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  129.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0225-001.JPG
Views: 385
Size:  142.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0235-001.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0239-001.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  148.5 KB

Old 07-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

Nice pics man. I wish my winch cable was longer too. It is only like 3 feet long and when I get stuck I am usually 3ft 6in away from the nearest winch spot. It becomes rather frustrating.

Truck looks good though. I wish I lived closer to you guys so that i could go on trail runs. I am hopefully going to the comp this month though.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanord View Post
Nice pics man. I wish my winch cable was longer too. It is only like 3 feet long and when I get stuck I am usually 3ft 6in away from the nearest winch spot. It becomes rather frustrating.

Truck looks good though. I wish I lived closer to you guys so that i could go on trail runs. I am hopefully going to the comp this month though.
Nice That's funny...

I thought of you when posting these pictures, of crawling in the great outdoors. I too hope to go to the comp this month. Ryan, how 'bout it?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanord View Post

Truck looks good though.
Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Guys I posted up about both comps this month in the Pennsylvania section. You can go sign up there. Also, I changed up the forums on Keystone Radio Control Enthusiasts | en·thu·si·ast (Noun) Noun: A person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject. go there and sign up. I need guys who want to be moderators and help me out with it. :-) Lets put some build threads there. :-)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Guys I posted up about both comps this month in the Pennsylvania section. You can go sign up there. Also, I changed up the forums on Keystone Radio Control Enthusiasts | en·thu·si·ast (Noun) Noun: A person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject. go there and sign up. I need guys who want to be moderators and help me out with it. :-) Lets put some build threads there. :-)
Ahh, thank you! I'll check out the PA section.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #113
Rock Crawler

Last weekend, my LHS had another "run what you brung" crawler comp. We did divide the rigs up into class 2 and class 3 scalers, but did not award any scale points (only points based on driving). I ended up with second place, which I was happy about. One time, I ended up perfectly on my roof, with nothing nearby to grap a tire onto in order to right myself. A friend showed me a sweet winch technique: I unspooled my winch cable, ran it back under my front axle, then through my slider, and then out the side and to a stick. I ran the line back in, and it tipped me over back onto my wheels. So that was three points for a winch use instead of five for a roll over The winch had to work hard; if the cable had been longer, I could've used my snatch block and doubled back onto the rock slider. I tried to get some beadalon at WalMart the other day (have heard that makes good winch cable, it looks realistic, and it comes in long lengths), but they were sold out.

While at the comp, I did get the desire to run a class 2 truck - One that looks a little more stock and realistic (smaller tires, realistic wheels, hard plastic body), and I've started a new project. Here's the link if you want to follow along: LNC class 2 scaler build thread

Thanks,
Josh
Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

It's been a while since I spent much time with my AX10. When I have messed with RC lately, I've been working on the new LNC scaler project. Well tonight I needed to unwind and spent some time with the AX10. I washed the tires and the body, which were dirty from the last comp. I think clean tires stick better Then I headed to the garage.

I finally mounted the RC4WD hawse fairlead that I got a few months ago:

Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  45.9 KB

My friend Ryan recently gave me a pull pal, and I already had a tow cable and snatch block. I was wanting to come up with a scale-looking way to keep these aboard the rig, and for free. I came up with this Erector set cargo area:

Name:  DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0004.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  57.7 KB

I'm happy with how it turned out. I used gray wire to maybe look like some type of cable, and put a hook on the end so it can be easily hooked and unhooked. It stretches slightly, so that helps keep tension on it and keep it hooked.

Here are a couple shots of the truck overall:

Name:  DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  52.9 KB

PS -- This thread has a two star rating . I know it started out a little shaky, but if you think the build has ended up pretty good, please rate it. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #115
RCC Addict

Hey man that's nice. Still have to get some scale legal tires for you. I might have a set up 2.2 TSLs soon for a good price. I love mine.

None of my threads have good star ratings either. I don't think anyone clicks that button ever.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #116
RCC Addict

BTW, maybe you should change the title of the original post to better describe what you have going on here?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Love the cargo area.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #118
Rock Crawler

Well, this October my LHS is starting formal scale competitions. No more "run what you brung". I'd like to get more serious about the mods I make to this truck, thinking both of realism and of scale points. I'm going to start a new thread in regards to this. If you'd like to follow along, I would appreciate it, as well as any input. Here's the link: AX10 Class 3 scaler Bronco build, cont'd

Thanks!

Project: AX10 + scaler features + dig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10, Sypder Customs Jeep TJ Unlimited, scaler project freakintheroom 2.2 Scale Rigs 144 11-05-2010 02:31 PM
AX10 RTR or Kit for a build? Kit seems more popular, but RTR has some nice features. nukexbi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 05-09-2008 01:27 PM