Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: El Chivo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: El Chivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
It's good. The skid never really got caught on anything but the rod ends at the skid of the front links got caught on things until the hex portion finally ground itself off.
Learning quite a bit about crawlers over the past couple of months. One thing I noticed, at least in the Capra, is that the upper links, where attached to the skid, are mounted slightly higher, above the bottom of the skid. Why couldn't Axial design the lower link mount in a similar manner? In other words, would it have been so difficult to design the skid in such a way that the the mounting points could have been 2-3mm higher? While this would have required lower links that were 1-2mm longer, and it would have very-minorly changed the articulation (so minor, that it probably would even be noticable), it would have eliminated the 'ground-down' rod end. Is my assumption correct? Or am I way off base here?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Learning quite a bit about crawlers over the past couple of months. One thing I noticed, at least in the Capra, is that the upper links, where attached to the skid, are mounted slightly higher, above the bottom of the skid. Why couldn't Axial design the lower link mount in a similar manner? In other words, would it have been so difficult to design the skid in such a way that the the mounting points could have been 2-3mm higher? While this would have required lower links that were 1-2mm longer, and it would have very-minorly changed the articulation (so minor, that it probably would even be noticable), it would have eliminated the 'ground-down' rod end. Is my assumption correct? Or am I way off base here?

I follow your thinking but the way the rest of the skid is designed the trans wouldn't clear up front and the motor would hit in the rear. The angle of the skid would also necessitate a much longer set screw to capture the links or just turning that screw for another 5 minutes to send it home. Then the links would clear but the skid would now be the lowest part and it would get caught on things worse.

As it is a straight front lower provides a smoothish transition from link to skid. The issue was just that worthless hex they included on the rod ends for some reason.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I follow your thinking but the way the rest of the skid is designed the trans wouldn't clear up front and the motor would hit in the rear. The angle of the skid would also necessitate a much longer set screw to capture the links or just turning that screw for another 5 minutes to send it home. Then the links would clear but the skid would now be the lowest part and it would get caught on things worse.

As it is a straight front lower provides a smoothish transition from link to skid. The issue was just that worthless hex they included on the rod ends for some reason.
Think I might have found some possible solutios:

Integy C27400 (M4 Size Angled 28mm Length Ball Ends Type Tie Rod Ends, w/ 3mm Ball Links)

Integy C27398 (M4 Size Angled 25mm Length Ball Ends Type Tie Rod Ends, w/ 3mm Ball Links)

Integy OBM-1327 (Alloy Machined M4 Angled Long Ball Ends, w/ 3mm Ball Links)...thesew offered in black, gunmetal, red & silver

I don't know if any of Therese would work, but I don't see why they wouldn't. They all fit M4 rods, and the ball IDs are for M3 screws. They're all angled...and NO hexes on the rod ends. I was looking for angled offset rod ends, but couldn't find any...they all seem to be 'straight', 'angled', or 'offset'. If angled-offset rod ends could be found, that would solve both "problems".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 11-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Or just take a razor blade to the hexes. I'm lazy so rocks did a fine job but took a while longer.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Or just take a razor blade to the hexes. I'm lazy so rocks did a fine job but took a while longer.
6 mom told me to never play with razor blades...said if probably cut myself too much.

My dad taught me to use an X-Acto knife...think I cut myself more than I would have every done with a single-edge razor blade...lol

Old 11-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #106
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Think I might have found some possible solutios:

Integy C27400 (M4 Size Angled 28mm Length Ball Ends Type Tie Rod Ends, w/ 3mm Ball Links)

Integy C27398 (M4 Size Angled 25mm Length Ball Ends Type Tie Rod Ends, w/ 3mm Ball Links)

Integy OBM-1327 (Alloy Machined M4 Angled Long Ball Ends, w/ 3mm Ball Links)...thesew offered in black, gunmetal, red & silver

I don't know if any of Therese would work, but I don't see why they wouldn't. They all fit M4 rods, and the ball IDs are for M3 screws. They're all angled...and NO hexes on the rod ends. I was looking for angled offset rod ends, but couldn't find any...they all seem to be 'straight', 'angled', or 'offset'. If angled-offset rod ends could be found, that would solve both "problems".

You'll figure out soon enough if it says Integy it is shit. Stay away from everything they make.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
You'll figure out soon enough if it says Integy it is shit. Stay away from everything they make.
Not everything they make is garbage. Yes, a lot...as in, a great majority...of their stuff is $h!t. That, I readily admit. But, some of what they make isn't. When it comes to off-road vehicles, you'll almost never find any racers using their stuff, but you will find a lot of bashers with some Integy parts.

The trick is figuring out the 95% garbage, from the 5% "decent" quality. For the parts I mentioned, I probably wouldn't trust the aluminum rod ends, as their "aluminum" tends to be somewhat on the "tin-ish" side (I'm sure you already know exactly what I mean)...but, as for the plastic rod ends, those should be more than good enough...not quite Losi-quality plastic (as mostly found in the Capra kit), but definitely better than RPM-quality plastic.

Last edited by Panther6834; 11-01-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #108
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post

I think they have good velcro straps and colored body clips
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think they have good velcro straps and colored body clips
Busted clocks are right twice a day and that's 2 products.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

And then this happened.

Fully loaded but missing the body its 4.33 lbs rtr. Guess I need to get another set of brass dice from dlux for next season.

I have a br-mini, brood conflux 30 turn and a savox 2290 going in it so it should have lots of woopow.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Dang she's low! Are you keeping it that low with the skid lower than the pumpkins?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:36 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Dang she's low! Are you keeping it that low with the skid lower than the pumpkins?
I run inner and outer springs so it kinda stays wherever I put it and in that pic I'd pushed it to full compression. When driving it should sit a bit higher than that.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:23 AM   #113
Custom Carbon Fiber

Well thats a weird place for the motor

recommendation: Drop your fronts down one hole and run your rears lower at the axle. wise man gave me that suggestion about mine and felt much better his way. ( although I know you havent run it yet lol )
Old 11-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Don't tell me what to do!

I'll tinker with it of course but its gotta be going first. Should have it up and running this weekend.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:

JENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #116
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

I'll tinker with it of course but its gotta be going first. Should have it up and running this weekend.
Slacker ..... park the trailer, drop the gear and tell them to call you when its loaded.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Slacker ..... park the trailer, drop the gear and tell them to call you when its loaded.
New job 6 months ago, no more actual truck driving for me.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #118
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
New job 6 months ago, no more actual truck driving for me.
Physical labor?

Im ordering another Capra from santa for myself. This way I can go full comp driver on it and not tinker with my daughters.

Little finger big throttle vs dad with big finger and smooth throttle
Old 11-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Physical labor?

Im ordering another Capra from santa for myself. This way I can go full comp driver on it and not tinker with my daughters.

Little finger big throttle vs dad with big finger and smooth throttle
Yup, el manuel these days. I've managed to weasel myself into a pretty good position though so life is ok.

It's about time you got your own rig too!

Ready for testing this weekend. . Not the bestest wiring job ever but it's all safe and secure. I have a bunch of these little 3s packs which will save the drivetrain but I do have some 4s if I decide to party.
Attached Images

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 11-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #120
RCC Addict

I think my favorite part about portals is how high the tie rod ends up. Even centered on the housing its still over 1/2" higher than no portals.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote