Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: SCREAMER's F-Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCREAMER's F-Bomber

I think you may be confusing my results with comments from other builds. I'll try to answer each one. First, the motor and final gearing I chose ended up giving me more speed than I really needed but funny thing about power and speed is, if it's there, you use it. This wasn't a bad thing because it gave me insight into the bomber's go fast(er) prowess. I learned that in stock form it is way too long to be a great crawler so I chose shorter trailing arms to try and better the break over angle. It worked but I feel I could go even shorter and gain more clearance and tighter steering without sacrificing suspension travel. The gearing will also be addressed by installing a 10 tooth pinion as opposed to the 13 that's in there now. This should get me in the area I want to be as far as wheel speed and control. The skid is larger and flatter on the Wraith so I feel this is a better designed skid that will get hung up less all other things being equal. This rig does desperately need a stainless skid like the one mounted on my Wraith crawler and will make a drastic difference. Just waiting for BPC to make it. The Dlux trailing arms are great in any length because they are made out of stronger and slicker 7075 aluminum. I am also on the list for a set of custom stainless steel trailing arms that should be a bit stronger and slide even better.

Second, I'm not sure if getting Wraith length trailing arms and links will give you the exact same wheelbase as a stock Wraith but it is definitely closer than a stock bomber. I did install those items as well as SSD's scale steel driveshaft on the rear of my bomber and everything fit perfect and worked flawlessly for me. If you're building a crawler with your bomber, shortening the wheelbase is a huge step in the right direction.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
No, and it'll probably have to be on my second bomber build because this one ended up being more of a rock bouncer/basher, despite my best efforts, and I ended up needing to put the longer Yeti length arms back on. I also changed out the tires and wheels for some Pitbull's with CI DW single stage closed cell foams. Again, because no matter what I tried initially, this build wanted to be fast. The ESC for this one is getting replaced by a Mamba Monster X with an HH Puller Pro XL 3500kv that'll fit better with it's abilities and this MMP and HH 2200kv Puller Pro will go into the second build. My plans were to build the dedicated crawler first then the go fast but it ended up happening the other way around. I will be doing DMG's adapter plate on the next build as well since it puts more weight forward and, of course, the shorter Wraith length trailing arms. I'll be posting more pics and results with the new setup soon. I'm really going to try to focus on finishing this one before I do anymore work to the second build already in progress. We all know how that goes though. I haven't managed to only have 1 build going since I started this full on obsession. This thing has just been a total blast since I put the first pack through her and I've learned a lot in the past week or so. It'll only get better now as I dial it in from what I learned.
Screamer, sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the quoted post where it seemed like you were having troubles making this build a crawler.

I don't have a wraith or a bomber yet, and having a hard time deciding what to get. I was leaning towards the wraith, but your crawler build has really intrigued me since I want something that I can make into a crawler if I chose. Or if I chose to make it a speedy basher I have that option as well (seems like consensus is that this is better at speed than wraith). I also really like how it looks with the shorter wheel base and no spare when compared to the wraith. I have been following all your component selections as well in various threads (bit of a stalker, ha!) and also want to hear more about the versatility of the PP 2200kv in lieu of a PP 3500kv . Hope to see you finish this crawler soon and see some vids on how it performs!

With that said, just to confirm, the stock length rear wraith upper links will work? You don't need longer ones with the wraith trailing arms? With that said, if doing this mod, one could get a wraith VP titanium link set for this type of bomber then since the front is already wraith proportions?

I thought there was some debate on metal skid plates not performing as good as the plastic? Maybe I am confused on this one.

Thanks for all the info and responses!
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Another question...were you planing on using a rear sway bar? Will a yeti version fit if you are using wraith trailing arms? I would guess they are too long? If so, whats the alternative?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post

With that said, just to confirm, the stock length rear wraith upper links will work? You don't need longer ones with the wraith trailing arms? With that said, if doing this mod, one could get a wraith VP titanium link set for this type of bomber then since the front is already wraith proportions?
Not Screamer but i can answer. To have a Wraith WB, yes Wraith Rear Upper Links and Wraith Trailing arms. You may have to tweak the upper just a hair for pinion angle due to the upper riser link on the RR10 Trans but that not unusual.

If you go this route then a Wraith VP Ti kit will work. You just won't use the rear Lowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
I thought there was some debate on metal skid plates not performing as good as the plastic? Maybe I am confused on this one.
Lots of debates for sure. More than likely it will be 7075 alum or Stainless. 6065 alum is a no no but Screamer knows that.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Drm, I see now how that post could be misleading. When I said it ended up being more of a rock bouncer/basher I was referring to the motor and wheelspeed specifically. I was afraid that the 2200kv puller pro was going to be so incredibly slow compared to the 3500kv that I had in my Wraith so I installed an extra 13t pinion that I had on hand instead of ordering a new 12t to keep gearing the same as stock. I was dead wrong and she ended up being very fast. She did crawl very very well but my lack of self control had me testing the speed rather than the technical crawling ability. Before my next jaunt into the wild I will be dropping to a 12t pinion to dial in more low speed control and less rocket ship.

As far as choosing a Wraith or a Bomber as your next rig, I really feel that the Bomber has a broader spectrum in which it can perform well before drastic modification is required to really sharpen its focus on a specific purpose.

Yes, Wraith length TAs and rear uppers are the right match. This is what I used on a Wraith and my first Bomber build and they were perfect. You do need to dial in your pinion angle like CMB said but nothing drastic like needing jato rod ends or anything.

For the skids, simply put, plastic does slide well but stainless slides better and is much stronger and bulletproof in comparison to plastic. Plastic will gouge, tear, and crack but stainless will really stand up with nothing more than light scratches and the skids usually eliminate a lot of edges and snag points on the bottom of the rig. IMHO aluminum skids should not even be considered but they do make for great body and roof panels. My second Bomber build is getting all aluminum skin. I'm really hoping BPC gets their new stainless bomber skid into production soon. The one for my Wraith made a dramatic difference.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

Good stuff, thanks for the insight!

Do you think you would put a sway bar on with the wraith rear? If so, are there wraith sway bars available?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Drm, I see now how that post could be misleading. When I said it ended up being more of a rock bouncer/basher I was referring to the motor and wheelspeed specifically. I was afraid that the 2200kv puller pro was going to be so incredibly slow compared to the 3500kv that I had in my Wraith so I installed an extra 13t pinion that I had on hand instead of ordering a new 12t to keep gearing the same as stock. I was dead wrong and she ended up being very fast. She did crawl very very well but my lack of self control had me testing the speed rather than the technical crawling ability. Before my next jaunt into the wild I will be dropping to a 12t pinion to dial in more low speed control and less rocket ship.

As far as choosing a Wraith or a Bomber as your next rig, I really feel that the Bomber has a broader spectrum in which it can perform well before drastic modification is required to really sharpen its focus on a specific purpose.

Yes, Wraith length TAs and rear uppers are the right match. This is what I used on a Wraith and my first Bomber build and they were perfect. You do need to dial in your pinion angle like CMB said but nothing drastic like needing jato rod ends or anything.

For the skids, simply put, plastic does slide well but stainless slides better and is much stronger and bulletproof in comparison to plastic. Plastic will gouge, tear, and crack but stainless will really stand up with nothing more than light scratches and the skids usually eliminate a lot of edges and snag points on the bottom of the rig. IMHO aluminum skids should not even be considered but they do make for great body and roof panels. My second Bomber build is getting all aluminum skin. I'm really hoping BPC gets their new stainless bomber skid into production soon. The one for my Wraith made a dramatic difference.
I will ask bruce from bpc about the stainless steel bomber skid, Ill be going to the hobby shop in a little bit.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Good new bpc got just aluminum panels in, I saw them in person and there nice, little different options then carter or barndog panels. Also got stainless steel skid plate for curries. Bad news no stainless steel skid... yet. He said soon, there just tryin to figure out how there going to mount them since the side panels sit in and lower rails stick out past the panels. He has a few choices how hes going to mount them.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Cool, as long as they're still working on it I can be patient. It's either 2 bends or spacers and I hope they go with bends to make it nice and flush to the skin. I finally got a set of the 5 inch ProLines on order as well as some new wheels and tires and a couple other goodies. More testing and results to follow. I've changed my mind so many times on which build is getting which parts but I think I've finally settled on a clear plan.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

This page needs at least one pic. Here's a sneak at build #2. I'm calling her Qwiksilver because she'll be quick and, well, silver.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #71
dbw
Rock Stacker

Did you make those panels?
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I finally got a set of the 5 inch ProLines on order as well
Just looked up the PL's. Those are super tall. 128mm or ??
Old 01-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This page needs at least one pic. Here's a sneak at build #2. I'm calling her Qwiksilver because she'll be quick and, well, silver.
Whooah! Man that looks F-in BA. Like the color combo and panels. Need a new Spur?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

DBW, those are AMF panels.

CMB, thanks a lot and yeah those XTs will be for the secondary shock on the rear. No, that spur isn't even broken in yet. That's an almost new SuperShafty bombproof with a Robinson gen3 spur. I think you're seeing the black coating wearing off of the teeth.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Amf?
Old 01-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

On RPP or eBay. I think it stands for Advanced Metal Fabrication. They're a good thickness at .040" and the same AMF panels on my Wraith have taken quite a beating on the rocks and are holding up very well.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Some parts came in for the Qwiksilver build, had to mount them up. This may give some insight on the chosen name and general color scheme goals. I've heard enough good things about these Promodeler brushless servos and my friend is loving his and because the color is perfect I finally had enough concrete reasons to try one. Once you have this thing in your hands it really does look and feel like a fine looking piece of equipment. Can't wait to try it out.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #78
Rock Stacker

Are those panels specific for the Bomber? Couldnt seem to find them. I did see Carter Fab makes some pretty slick Bomber panels though!
ride1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Axial Bomber RR10 Side Panel Set | eBay

Carter, barndog and bpc also make aluminum panels. I saw carbon fiber panels for bomber on ebay as well.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was actually referring to the Traxxas 2662 shocks but those 7462 shocks look nice. I may have to try a set of those. I'll try to post a link but you can get a set of 2662 shocks on eBay for less than $20 shipped.

Traxxas Hard Anodized Teflon Coated Big Bore Rear Shock Set (XX-Long) (2) [TRA2662] | Parts - AMain Performance Hobbies - AMain Performance Hobbies
Until i can find my 100mm Blue Velvets i went with the 2662 as mentioned and ordered the 7462. I am a long way from using/testing them but i think i'll run the 2662 in the front and the 7462 in the back. Oil is yet to be decided until i have a run weight.

Traxxas 2662
102mm E2E
Uses a Axial 14mm x 70mm spring
3mm Shock Shaft

Traxxas 7462
103mm E2E
Uses Traxxas or equal 16mm XX-Long GTR Shock Springs
3.5mm Shock Shaft
** They do have plastic shock caps w/shirty balls. I don't think there will be a problem on this type of rig but any 16mm alum shock cap should work. The Caps do have breather holes so switching oil and bleeding should be fine.

SCREAMER's F-Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EmeryworX bomber tuner Axial RR10 Bomber 5 12-13-2015 06:31 PM
About to get an Axial bomber thatchvol Axial RR10 Bomber 12 12-07-2015 08:08 AM
Screamer's FNG build SCREAMER Axial Wraith 35 10-21-2015 03:11 PM
Backwoods Bomber Duuuuuuuude 1.9 Scale Rigs 153 06-11-2012 08:41 AM