Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: SCREAMER's F-Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCREAMER's F-Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Yes Dlux made it in his new home where he is filling orders.
Its the "universal sway" or "bomber sway"? Since the crawler rig has wraith rear its shorter, so i wouldn't think the bomber sway would fit?
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
No I didn't. I prefer to run it with the torsion bar forward. I will say that I don't think the VP bar will even fit through the rear mount because it is a bit thicker than the Dlux fab bar which is pretty snug in the rear mount. Also, the width is narrower in the rear and with the brass bushings and inserts in the Currie arms it really does fit perfect in the forward mount, like it was designed for the bomber forward mount. If I moved it to the rear I'd have to cut the bar down about half an inch and then machine 4 flats back into it. Eff all that noise. You'll see when you get yours bilinvic. There's plenty of room between the arms and the shocks through the entire travel so no problems there either.
What I've seen to make it work in rear bumper mount is to drill it out to fit vp rod, then either cut down the brass bushings or another member on here carefully drilled a bigger hole so the brass bushings would fit into the rear mount. Doesn't seem worth it.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:32 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
What I've seen to make it work in rear bumper mount is to drill it out to fit vp rod, then either cut down the brass bushings or another member on here carefully drilled a bigger hole so the brass bushings would fit into the rear mount. Doesn't seem worth it.
Not worth it, it wouldn't provide any significant performance increase by changing the orientation of the ARB. Mine is up higher on the frame than SCREAMERS, it runs through the fuel cell.
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Its the "universal sway" or "bomber sway"? Since the crawler rig has wraith rear its shorter, so i wouldn't think the bomber sway would fit?
Its the bomber sway. Universal sway has carbon fiber arms.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Its the bomber sway. Universal sway has carbon fiber arms.
Interesting... I would have thought the bomber sway would have been too long. I am assuming any bomber sway will work then. So you literally only need wraith trail arms, upper links, and rear drive shaft?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

The torsion bar is longer but only a bit and just ends up sticking out of the arms a little. You can cut the extra off if you like. It doesn't bother me so I left it in case I ever need to switch it back to front mount for whatever reason and I want to keep that option. Im not sure I understand your last question. If you're asking what you need as far as matching parts to shorten the wheelbase then yes, those items are all you need. That's what I'm running on my crawler bomber. UCFab Wraith TAs, VP Wraith upper links, and I'm using SSDs scale Wraith driveshaft. Let me add this, on a Currie rear, you will need longer upper links or Jato rod ends. On an AR60 housing and truss this is not necessary. Apparently the Currie truss is moved back about 5mm or so. If I was going to be doing a lot of higher speed stuff I would recommend longer links with stronger Revo rod ends but since this is on my crawler build it'll be low speed low impact stuff so the Jato rod ends were an easy satisfactory fix.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Yup you answered my question. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #108
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Made some progress today on both builds. Finally got my hands on a VP sway bar and I have to say it was very much worth the wait. It went on with zero modification to the Bomber and there's no slop anywhere. Really made a difference in the amount I can twist by hand. This thing is awesome and the design is great. Screws grab the torsion bar by both sides and the arms bend out to clear the chassis with ease and allow you to run the links inboard of the arms. Good stuff VP!
Looks awesome!!!! I have a silver Currie swaybar on order from CKRC. How much shorter do the links have to be?
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

You're gonna love the Currie sway. It's a very nice piece. I just used a 3x20mm set screw like the ones used on the lower links at the skid and put 2 short Axial rod ends together. Worked perfect. They were rod ends I found on a spare parts tree but any Revo length would do the trick. I would've used Revo ends if I knew where to find a 4mm set screw. I ended up using the VP supplied links for the DLux sway on my crawler so pretty psyched that those fit.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

I dont think a smaller link is needed. I left mine alone and everything clears.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

What sway? Mounted where? What shocks? On my Currie sway, the links could be a bit longer, maybe 5mm or so but I definitely could not have used the supplied VP links that came with it. My rig is lowered about 1/4 inch.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Today's a big day for the Qwiksilver build. Just checked tracking on my Holmes motor which is the last piece of the puzzle to get her running and it shows "out for delivery" so I figured I better get everything else finished and prepped for install. I love how everything came out with the help of the DMG adapter plate. It allows me to run my SuperShafty bombproof and gave me a place to mount a shelf for this big ass Mamba Monster X. The receiver is going into an SCX10 receiver box and will be zip tied to the side. Here's a pic of the adapter plate, trans, and ESC shelf installed. The shelf bolts right into the existing hole meant for the dig servo plate. It's a nice solid mount for the ESC.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Here's the Monster ESC mounted. I'm using 3M 20lbs double sided foam tape. I use this stuff whenever zip ties aren't as feasible and it hasn't failed me yet, knock on wood. Everything else is connected, ESC settings adjusted, and wires routed. As soon as the motor shows up I'll get after it. I'll definitely post up my shakedown run results tonight. I'm very excited to run this thing because it's the first build of mine that isn't a crawler. I'm hoping I had half a clue with parts selection and initial build direction. Stay tuned.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What sway? Mounted where? What shocks? On my Currie sway, the links could be a bit longer, maybe 5mm or so but I definitely could not have used the supplied VP links that came with it. My rig is lowered about 1/4 inch.
Currie sway, front mount under fuel cell, losi 4" shocks. My rear vp ti upper links hit sway bar rod/fuel cell and shocks still have 3/8" of travel left.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quick results from today's extensive testing. I knew the Holmes 540XL was going to be strong but I had no idea. Wheelies on command, ridiculously excessive torque, absolutely requires respect and restraint at the trigger but wow is this motor fun. It gives up a bit more startup smoothness than I expected but not uncrawlable. Throttle expo will be used to try and smooth out the snappiness at startup. With an entire 5000mah pack through her I couldn't even get the motor warm. Amazing motor. The Mamba Monster X is equally awesome. The fan never came on, the amount of adjustability is the same as the MMP except for one fantastic feature, the aux wire. I, like others have already done, programmed it to toggle drag brake on and off. I love this feature and used it several times all day. I never would've thought that the simple option of being able to turn drag brake on and off on the fly would be such a great thing but from now on, the MMX is my ESC to use. Also, love the 8 amp internal BEC. Zero hiccups today from the servo or ESC. The fact that it saves you $20 from having to buy an external BEC makes the MMX very cost competitive with the regular MMP.

Suspension wise, I found that she was a bit too stiff in the rear so I went one step down from yellow 3.2 springs to green 2.8 springs and this was the perfect setup with purple 1.4 in the front. Still running 30wt oil in all six shocks and I'm very happy with the way she handles and drives. Very planted without being too stiff, jumps and lands with no bouncing, and soaks up big hits and bumps without getting too unsettled so no more changes needed here. This is also my first time running CI Deuces Wild foams and for this type of rig they are great. Really glad I installed the VP sway bar and will be trying the stiffer settings on the arms to try and dial out more torque twist. This motor is so strong that even while running dual shocks and a sway bar in a the rear, it'll still lift one front tire with any throttle input over 50%. Overall I'm very happy with my initial test. No regrets on any of my parts choices and I don't feel that any substantial changes need to be made. Just a couple little tweaks here and there and I've built myself one badass bouncer.

One last note. I took 3 specific obstacles today that my 4 other crawlers always required a bit of finesse to overcome and sometimes simply could not traverse depending on certain variables. It was really fun to hit these same obstacles with a sense of speed and power as opposed to control and technique. The results were wildly different each time and on each obstacle but it was much more exciting and just plain fun to conquer these obstacles this way, most of which had Qwiksilver airborne. I'll keep updating both of my bombers as they continue to evolve in their own way but I just couldn't be happier at how they both turned out. I kinda wish there was a third type of build I could do with one of these because they're just so damn awesome.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Great performance review. Thanxs.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 AM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Great review
ossipeecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Nice!

Nice!!

Nice!!!

Great technical stuff in here Screamer. The XL puller is a MONSTER!!! I run it in my yeti & damn its a beast motor for any 1/10 scale imo. Like you said its hard to manage the throttle at any range!!!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #119
Pebble Pounder

It's builds like these that inspire. Thanks for documenting your experience in an easy to read/follow manner. I just ordered a Bomber and will probably go with the wraith rear trailing arms to make it better for crawling. Keep those updates coming!
nsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

Can you post a few photos of the crawler as it stands now?

SCREAMER's F-Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EmeryworX bomber tuner Axial RR10 Bomber 5 12-13-2015 06:31 PM
About to get an Axial bomber thatchvol Axial RR10 Bomber 12 12-07-2015 08:08 AM
Screamer's FNG build SCREAMER Axial Wraith 35 10-21-2015 03:11 PM
Backwoods Bomber Duuuuuuuude 1.9 Scale Rigs 153 06-11-2012 08:41 AM