Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Jato The Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #221

Default Re: Jato The Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I'd send it back. The extra features are not worth the headaches.
It's getting to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
I know it sounds crazy, but check to make sure you have the motor polarity correct... I realize it isn't important in non-sensored brushless setups.... However in a sensored setup, you must reverse motor in the ESC software not by reversing "A/C" like on a non sensored motor...

It'd obviously "cog" if the sensor is reading a signal that the motor is going the opposite way. most likely you'd damage the esc running it that way.

I have 3 MMX's 1 Tekin T8 truggy motor, 1 with a HobbyWing 4268 G2, and 1 in my bomber with a HH PP 3500kv, all are extremely smooth.

Have you tried a different radio/receiver? I know i'm crazy but with all of the problems youve been having/troubleshooting im doubting its the esc or motor
I've checked polarity and replaced every electrical component in the truck except the servo. But I ran all tests with the servo unplugged to rule that out.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #222

I spent another hour playing with my two MMX ESCs. Both still make the Tekin ROC412 cog like a mofo. Yet the 35A HobbyKing ESC is still as smooth as butter.

I'm giving Castle a chance to respond to my latest email, but I've already started the process of returning one to Tower where I bought it. I'm looking to replace it with a Tekin RX8 or HobbyWing. I've had tons of luck with HobbyWing so I really like them.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:44 AM   #223
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I spent another hour playing with my two MMX ESCs. Both still make the Tekin ROC412 cog like a mofo. Yet the 35A HobbyKing ESC is still as smooth as butter.

I'm giving Castle a chance to respond to my latest email, but I've already started the process of returning one to Tower where I bought it. I'm looking to replace it with a Tekin RX8 or HobbyWing. I've had tons of luck with HobbyWing so I really like them.

The specs for the RX8 look pretty sweet (gen 2 anyway, I haven't looked at gen 1). Please let us know how you like it if you get one! Also, could you say which HobbyWing you have in mind?

Definitely impressed by your patience with the MMX. Castle told you the MMX + ROC412 work well together? This is the last option I can see, for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:53 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
The specs for the RX8 look pretty sweet (gen 2 anyway, I haven't looked at gen 1). Please let us know how you like it if you get one! Also, could you say which HobbyWing you have in mind?

Definitely impressed by your patience with the MMX. Castle told you the MMX + ROC412 work well together? This is the last option I can see, for what it's worth.
The XR8 SCT Pro or XR8 Plus are the two at the top of my list. I'm not sure how they differ at this point.

Yes, Castle told me they have run Tekin motors (didn't specifically mention the ROC412) and they work great with the MMX.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:59 AM   #225
Rock Crawler

Looking forward to this getting worked out for you. Way too much hassle.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #226
I wanna be Dave

I'm flabbergasted , I'm running the cheaper MMP with my Tekin 4x4HD 3000 and zero cogging, buttery smooth......

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #227
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Please let me know if you have any cogging issues.

I set up my MMX + 3500 kV HH puller pro enough to look for cogging; it's installed in bomber, but looks like a mess. I don't see any cogging. I tested climbing my toolbox (similar height to where cogging occurred in your video; stuck inside due to rain). Seemed very smooth to me -- nothing like the cogging in your videos.

I'm powering it with a 40 C 3s Turnigy lipo. Factory default settings for the MMX since I haven't connected Castle link yet. I'm not sure if the firmware is up to date. Also using the HH sensor cable and had the steering servo connected to the receiver. The servo is a HH HV500. I haven't changed the default setting for the Internal BEC.

Bummed that none of the changes you made fixed your problem.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I'm flabbergasted , I'm running the cheaper MMP with my Tekin 4x4HD 3000 and zero cogging, buttery smooth......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
I set up my MMX + 3500 kV HH puller pro enough to look for cogging; it's installed in bomber, but looks like a mess. I don't see any cogging. I tested climbing my toolbox (similar height to where cogging occurred in your video; stuck inside due to rain). Seemed very smooth to me -- nothing like the cogging in your videos.

I'm powering it with a 40 C 3s Turnigy lipo. Factory default settings for the MMX since I haven't connected Castle link yet. I'm not sure if the firmware is up to date. Also using the HH sensor cable and had the steering servo connected to the receiver. The servo is a HH HV500. I haven't changed the default setting for the Internal BEC.

Bummed that none of the changes you made fixed your problem.
It seems like the MMP and ROC412 and MMX and Holmes motor combos are fine. I haven't found many people running the MMX and ROC412 though.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #229
Rock Crawler

Default Jato The Bomber

Quote:
It seems like the MMP and ROC412 and MMX and Holmes motor combos are fine. I haven't found many people running the MMX and ROC412 though.
Yep. Not the best outcome, unfortunately...

Last edited by Thloftus; 10-30-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:41 AM   #230

I got a strange PM this morning on RCTech. The person, who will remain anonymous by request, claims to be a software engineer at Castle. He stated that my cogging issue is a known glitch in the firmware and that an update should be coming "shortly".
Old 10-31-2016, 06:54 AM   #231
RCC Addict

That may be accurate. I know when I first got my Viper VTX8 and tried to run it with a Pro4HD it cogged extremely bad and immediately got really hot. I ran the software update on the ESC and everything was great. Nice and smooth with no more cogging. Hopefully they send that update ASAP. Must be something with the sensors Tekin uses.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #232
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I got a strange PM this morning on RCTech. The person, who will remain anonymous by request, claims to be a software engineer at Castle. He stated that my cogging issue is a known glitch in the firmware and that an update should be coming "shortly".

Hey that's good to hear! Still sucks, and hopefully "shortly" will not be weeks.
akatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #233
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatz View Post
Hey that's good to hear! Still sucks, and hopefully "shortly" will not be weeks.
I agree that is great to hear but Castle and "Shortly" are like oil and water.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #234
RCC Addict

Quote:

Question is are you going to wait or return it?
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
That may be accurate. I know when I first got my Viper VTX8 and tried to run it with a Pro4HD it cogged extremely bad and immediately got really hot. I ran the software update on the ESC and everything was great. Nice and smooth with no more cogging. Hopefully they send that update ASAP. Must be something with the sensors Tekin uses.
Hopefully it works and that I get it quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatz View Post
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
I agree that is great to hear but Castle and "Shortly" are like oil and water.
That's not good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Question is are you going to wait or return it?
Well I may have waited too long. I realized I bought it on September 30th. I have another email into Tower so I'm awaiting a second response to see if I can return it. If not I might be stuck with one MMX.

I did order a Holmes Puller Pro 3500kV motor last night to test with the MMX. The motor won't go unused. It'll either go in my Wraith or my 1/6th scale Jeep project if it doesn't end up in the Bomber.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #236
RCC Addict

I really like the PP3500 in my Bomber. I was out yesterday hitting wheelies and doing stoppies then slowed down for some technical curb crawling.

If you're still at whit's end with the MMX, shoot me a message and I'll take it off your hands.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #237
I wanna be Dave

I really think you will be happy with the mmx/ puller pro combo

I'm tempted to try the XL in my bomber
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
I really like the PP3500 in my Bomber. I was out yesterday hitting wheelies and doing stoppies then slowed down for some technical curb crawling.

If you're still at whit's end with the MMX, shoot me a message and I'll take it off your hands.
Are you running it on 2S or 3S?

Thanks. I will let you know if I'm looking to get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
I really think you will be happy with the mmx/ puller pro combo

I'm tempted to try the XL in my bomber
I hope so. But I was thinking I'd be happy with the MMX/ROC412 combo too.

I would have gone with the XL except I believe I read that JRH said it's not as smooth on startup. That would be a detriment when crawling.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #239
I wanna be Dave

That's true, but I have it, so it's worth trying to see the difference
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #240
RCC Addict

Quote:
Are you running it on 2S or 3S?

3s all the time. Plenty of power and as smooth as I can be with my trigger finger and a linear throttle curve. Temps have been staying at the 110-120*F range. I'm impressed.

I'm considering getting a Brood motor as well to try but I don't have another trail/crawler to try it in. All else is go fast. Time to expand.

Jato The Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM