Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: The "Just shut up and build it" thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #201
RCC Addict

Default Re: The "Just shut up and build it" thread...

I thought about putting a velcro on my TX and my little Firefly 7s action cam.

Might be hard to "aim" while driving though...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #202
I wanna be Dave

Man, I'm baked... it's 102 right now.

All the electronics were to the point to where I could only leave a finger on them for a couple seconds...

Used up 1 pack, got in the car and drove to another spot - got about halfway to 3/4 through it and servo locked up (WTF?).

It's extremely hot as well, got some food on the way home and going to test it out in an hour or two in my parking lot.

This is a ProModeler 470 with a finned all-aluminum housing, getting 8.0v from the Mamba X BEC - only other item getting power is the FlySky receiver.

NOT something I expected!!!

Will be back later with more info...

(BTW - it's centered, and I was not driving in an area that I would have got in a bad bind - light buzzing from the servo)
Attached Images

Last edited by durok; 07-18-2018 at 03:33 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #203

These bombers look way better to me with dirt and dust all over them. I like how the motor is still shiny, glad I could hear the famous sound from your videos. Sucks about your servo! Im sure it had a good run though
BattleShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #204
Rock Stacker

Oh, man, that servo thing sounds very similar to what I went through... - really hope that it is not!
Moderate driving, really hot... all too familiar circumstances...

But the trucks is getting nicer with all that dust on it!
Zka17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #205
I wanna be Dave

Well, servo is non-responsive - even after removing linkage to make certain I didn't have a pebble jammed in the steering somewhere...

THIS was unexpected.

The ProModeler has a VERY low failure rate...

...and the two other servos I have are 3S direct power, not rated for 4S.

Boo...Hiss... this means less power for my motor!

I guess I will hook up the Holmes Hobbies SHV500 - mine is a v1 ordered way back when it was first released - if it was a v2 I could connect a 4S.

Using an inline XT60 connector from Gearhead to tap the main LiPo pack for power.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #206
RCC Addict

Sadly the SHV500 v1 were known for issues no?

Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #207
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post

Yeah I broke a handfull of the pins on those.

Sorry to hear about the servo issues, thats a bummer. You should contact the Owner of ProModeler he's super nice and I'm sure he'll try to help get it sorted out.

Did you have another rig to plug this servo into just to confirm its the servo and not something else?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #208
Quarry Creeper

Oh no, that sucks about the servo.
Looking at the layer of filth tells me somebody had a lot of fun
Like BattleShrink said, it’s crazy that the motor is the only thing you do not have to clean...it’s like it is saying look at me “I’m a badass, and I’m not taking crap from anything” !
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #209
I wanna be Dave

OK... you've gotta be shittin' me...

WHY, oh WHY would the power tap use a female connector, when BOTH the SHV500 and the JX backup servo I have use female connectors?

Now, I can't connect either of my servo options without a trip to the LHS.

Well, F*CK me...

If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

(Rant over...)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #210
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post

Some have been known to break as the pins weren't hardened properly from the vendor (or something...) - But JRH also has had a v1 he is using in a rig that has never broken under loads of abuse. I might (for once) have some luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yeah I broke a handfull of the pins on those.

Sorry to hear about the servo issues, thats a bummer. You should contact the Owner of ProModeler he's super nice and I'm sure he'll try to help get it sorted out.

Did you have another rig to plug this servo into just to confirm its the servo and not something else?
Will try that on my Ascender next... I have faith that ProModeler will do right by me, but it's just such a drag, waiting on shipping both directions, and they are currently back-ordered as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Oh no, that sucks about the servo.
Looking at the layer of filth tells me somebody had a lot of fun
Like BattleShrink said, it’s crazy that the motor is the only thing you do not have to clean...it’s like it is saying look at me “I’m a badass, and I’m not taking crap from anything” !
I WAS having fun, damnit - until the servo gave up.

It is pretty hilarious, the Revolver spinning keeps itself completely dust-free...

I have been blasting the front "bullet chambers" of the motor while rolling the vehicle to spin it up with air when I get home from my runs using my plug-in Metro Data-Vac - that's how I clean my rigs.

There is a third servo waiting in the wings, it's supposedly the best JX available, the JX BLS 12V7146 46KG :

Motor: brushless motor
Operating Speed (11.1V): 0.12sec/60°
Operating Speed (14V): 0.10sec/60°
Stall Torque (11.1V): 38kg.cm
Stall Torque (14V): 47kg.cm
- High-precision Taiwan-made steel gears with hard anodizing
- Full CNC aluminium Shell structure
- Dual ball bearings
- Waterproof

With a coupon code I got it for around $55, shipped.

It was to be used if I have to send in the Holmes for an upgrade to v2.

Unfortunately there have been a few reports of the JX failing as well - JRH said the servo was patterned after the v1 by some employees that had left the vendor that supplies Holmes with their servos - they started their own company, the sort of thing that doesn't usually happen here because there would have been nondisclosure/noncompete agreements...

WHATEVER!

I'm trying to remain calm here...

Just gonna get the JST connector bullshit sorted out, and rig up the Holmes SHV500 v1 to be direct 3S-powered, run the rig on 3S for now.

If it fails, in goes the JX, while I wait for one (or two) servos to be shipped off for replacement.

I'll test the ProModeler real quick from the Ascender now, though...

EDIT: Tested in Ascender, servo just buzzes when power is turned on, doesn't respond to steering input... No Bueno.

Last edited by durok; 07-18-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #211
Quarry Creeper

Did you open up the 470 to look at the gears? It's super easy to put back together.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #212
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking I'd give John a call over at ProModeler in the morning first, then I may check them...

The strange thing is that I was not doing any driving that ought to stress a servo out - there were no binds, ass-over-teakettle tumbles, high-speed crashes...

I was really taking it easy.

Might have gotten a defective one, I dunno...
Old 07-19-2018, 12:05 AM   #213
Quarry Creeper

Bummer. I was (still am) considering that one for my next. I still have a second Savox 1283 for my backup, though.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #214
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Man, I'm baked... it's 102 right now.

All the electronics were to the point to where I could only leave a finger on them for a couple seconds...

Used up 1 pack, got in the car and drove to another spot - got about halfway to 3/4 through it and servo locked up (WTF?).

It's extremely hot as well, got some food on the way home and going to test it out in an hour or two in my parking lot.

This is a ProModeler 470 with a finned all-aluminum housing, getting 8.0v from the Mamba X BEC - only other item getting power is the FlySky receiver.

NOT something I expected!!!

Will be back later with more info...

(BTW - it's centered, and I was not driving in an area that I would have got in a bad bind - light buzzing from the servo)

You suffer the curse of the Kaiser, mein Freund!

I’m not even going to ask what’s going to detonate in your rig next :( Maybe wait till October?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:25 AM   #215
RCC Addict

Quote:
OK... you've gotta be shittin' me...

WHY, oh WHY would the power tap use a female connector, when BOTH the SHV500 and the JX backup servo I have use female connectors?

Now, I can't connect either of my servo options without a trip to the LHS.

Well, F*CK me...

If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

(Rant over...)

See “Kaiser”

Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #216
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
You suffer the curse of the Kaiser, mein Freund!

I’m not even going to ask what’s going to detonate in your rig next :( Maybe wait till October?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
See “Kaiser”

I'm wondering if somehow you've gotten in my head...

Because this rig was going to have a completely different name (BEFORE all the issues cropped up with the first set of axles - me breaking the MIP driver tip and the screw head off, etc) than the Revolver #777 - because it originally was going to have the 4100kv HH PP "R-Type" motor and a Mamba Monster X installed.

Guess what name I had picked out?

"Kaiser Ludwig"

Here's the Wikipedia entry:

Ludwig II (German: Ludwig Otto Friedrich Wilhelm; English: Louis Otto Frederick William; 25 August 1845 – 13 June 1886)[1] was King of Bavaria from 1864 until his death in 1886. He is sometimes called the Swan King or der Märchenkönig ("the Fairy Tale King"). He also held the titles of Count Palatine of the Rhine, Duke of Bavaria, Duke of Franconia, and Duke in Swabia.[2]

He succeeded to the throne aged 18. Two years later Bavaria and Austria fought a war against Prussia, which they lost. However, in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 Bavaria sided with Prussia against France, and after the Prussian victory it became part of the new German Empire led by Prussia. Though Bavaria retained a degree of autonomy on some matters within the new German Reich, Ludwig increasingly withdrew from day-to-day affairs of state in favour of extravagant artistic and architectural projects. He commissioned the construction of two lavish palaces and Neuschwanstein Castle, and he was a devoted patron of the composer Richard Wagner. Ludwig spent all his royal revenues (although not state funds) on these projects, borrowed extensively, and defied all attempts by his ministers to restrain him. This extravagance was used against him to declare him insane, an accusation which has since come under scrutiny.[3] Today, his architectural and artistic legacy includes many of Bavaria's most important tourist attractions.

My middle name is Wilhelm, and my German grandfather's name was Ludwig!

Jawohl, mein freund - das ist wahr!

You are truly freakin' me out!

Crazy King Ludwig (in all his glory) is what the rig will be named after I eventually fix everything that is broken and reassemble it with the SSD housings, the Hot Racing transmission, and the bigger & faster sensored motor...

And the Revolver and current transmission/axles get bolted up to the carbon fiber chassis rails - and get a Lexan bodyshell.

The name for that rig may change from Revolver #777 to something else at that point.

OK - back to the details of what's going on - I just got off the phone with John at ProModeler - he said just send him the servo and he would take a look at it and fix me up, not to worry.

So, it's off to the LHS for a fix to my JST connector issue and I will be running 3S and the Holmes SHV500 v1 for a while.

Gotta run some errands, will be back to report my results later on...

Last edited by durok; 07-19-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #217

Needed 1 more post to make the 30! Spent it here to say nothing but Good luck on the LHS!
Miatardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #218
Quarry Creeper

Good to hear that Promodler is going to take care of you.
Instead of using those jst connectors, I started using the tiny XT30 connectors...much better connection. I grabbed 10 male and females off eBay for $9-10 might check into using those later on. I have seen a few of those GearHead wheels on some Bomber vids and then seeing yours, I had to grab a set. Picked them up in all black and also grabbed some CI Double Duece 5.5 in medium "
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #219
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Instead of using those jst connectors, I started using the tiny XT30 connectors...much better connection.

Are those as small as the JST's? I've never seen one in person
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #220
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm wondering if somehow you've gotten in my head...

You are truly freakin' me out!
Spoooookyyyy...lol. I always feel like...somebody's watching me...and I get no privacy... Now I will be in your head because you'll be hearing that song for the next two hours

I would've been truly surprised and disappointed if an outfit like ProModeler would have had any different response, but glad I wasn't.

My 3Brothers servo arrived while I was in Italy so that will be going in this weekend. Anxious to see how it will work feeding off full 3S power via the balance plug port.

Now for the oldtimer's disease mantra: remember to reprogram the Mamba while the box is open, remember to reprogram the Mamba while the box is open, remember to reprogram the Mamba while the box is open...

I'll forget :(

The "Just shut up and build it" thread... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread cormier33 Axial XR10 132 10-26-2014 11:04 PM
"DIABLO" Ottsix Post Season Build Off! offical build thread silver falcon 2.2 Scale Rigs 21 09-06-2014 06:08 PM
Jeep Commander quad pickup "Honcho II"-the build thread pantablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 77 07-28-2008 01:42 PM