Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Diesel's 1.9 SCX/Scout build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
Well get on with it then!

Good to see your having fun with the scaler Scott, there's nothing quite like them.

For your winch hook you can just bend up a "S" hook and braze or weld up the end, that's what I did on mine. It is super easy, very strong and a lot cheaper then those other hooks.
i am, i just really wish there were more of them here. hopefully that'll change soon.

ive already got the bumper cut off and started on a new one, gonna keep it tight against the body this time, the approach angle of the old one was killing me. i just ran out of gas for the torch so i'm back inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
Very nice rig! Looks great. Cool wheeling spot too.
thanks man, thats one of my favorites, its about 4mi from mt house.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #122
I wanna be Dave

ok, i cut off the old bumper and built a new one, nice and simple but its got room for expansion if i decide to. i also made a winch hook out of 1/8" solid rod, it actually looks good and i know its strong as hell. i also had to make a cable guide for my wince cable since the fairlead and the winch its self are so far apart. actually got quite a bit done today and only spent a total of about $16, not bad...

i'll get pics up tomorrow when i get home from work, sitting in the service office at work right now, lol.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #123
Rock Crawler

This thing is sweet..! Very impressive..!
Rivas Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

thanks man, pics are uploading right now. i'd love to get some more scalers here in vegas, driving alone gets boring...

pics:
the winch mount and cable guide from underneath, might rewind the cable the other direction.

new front bumper. nice and simple. tied a noose in the cable (PITA) and then heat shrunk it, its holding well so far.

i think it looks good.

my favorite part, approach angle
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #125
I wanna be Dave

This is by far the sweetest Scout I've ever seen. Awesome chassis work, the joints are super clean and the siped tires are sick. I'm totally going to steal that trick for sure. I would like to know exaclty which interior that is & how wide it is. I plan on doing the same thing with my KOH Jeep I'm workin on. I'd appreciate the help.

EDIT: I spent the time and looked thru the whole thread and found which interior you used.

Last edited by rckjeep; 02-28-2011 at 02:42 AM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Thank you sir! coming from you, I really appreciate that.
Yeah the interior is proline, I'm lazy.
Next up in new winch cable, (anyone got any suggestions?) adding a CC BEC, taller tires and water proofing. I think I'll just balloon everything. The scout is fully functional and I'm working on a comp tuber right now so its not top priority.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #127
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
Thank you sir! coming from you, I really appreciate that.
Yeah the interior is proline, I'm lazy.
Next up in new winch cable, (anyone got any suggestions?) adding a CC BEC, taller tires and water proofing. I think I'll just balloon everything. The scout is fully functional and I'm working on a comp tuber right now so its not top priority.
I saw you were selling this and can't think of anything else to say other than that really blows. I think it's pretty sick looking and hope you can manage to keep it.

In the event you do keep it, may I offer that the flat irons kinda make the look of the Scout and a suggestion would be to make some 4.75" or 5" tall flat irons in 1.9 type. I made a set and they look great although I have yet to test them out. As far as winch cable goes, team3six is making some line if you feel like spending the coin, but I use 90lb braided fishing line. Strong and light, although a bit expensive it you can't get scraps from local fishing stores.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Well I've got good news, my.tax return hit this morning and its no longer for sale! I've gotta look into new cable. Does the braided fishing line have any stretch to it?
I agree on the tires, I've already arranged to have some 4.75" irons made. The BFGoodrich decals on the sides would have to go if I got rid of the irons.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #129
Quarry Creeper

I've never measured to see if the line has any stretch in it. It's pretty stout stuff and easy to replace if you ever buy a spool. The stuff I have was like $25 for 150 yards and comes in a few colors. I'm sure you could find something different that works for you, but this is the stuff I have.... http://www.alltackle.com/power_pro.htm
Old 03-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Cool thanks man
Old 03-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #131
Quarry Creeper

You said you already had 4.75" tires lined up..... Thought you might be interested:

Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #132
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Guy View Post
You said you already had 4.75" tires lined up..... Thought you might be interested:

nice tires.....wait do i spot hubs?
talisandayla1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

very nice, thats exactly what i'm thinking for the scout.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #134
Quarry Creeper

Any updates?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Right now it's sitting on my dining room table with no tires on it. I just sent a box full of flatirons out to have them made into taller ones. Somewhere around 4.5-4.75", when they come back I'll get more pics up and get it back out on the rocks.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #136
Rock Stacker

where could i buy some of those wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
WOOO!!! the scout got new wheels today! my black/silver Mayhem Engineering 'Trail Shooters' came in today. these are the best looking 1.9 wheel ive seen to date, and the quality is insane!! i mounted up a set of grooved 'irons on them for now til i close on my house and can afford new tires. thinking either 2faces or rok lox.

yes i mounted them backwards, i wanted a narrower track width.
axialnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #137
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by axialnut View Post
where could i buy some of those wheels?
right here, just PM Mayhem Eng.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244862
Old 05-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #138
I wanna be Dave

little update time. with "new" tires on the way, the scout was sitting on the bench looking kinda sad. so the torch and the dremel came out. i cut off the back half of the cage and figured out a spare tire mount. trimmed up the interior, painted the "fuel cell" and bought a few new scale goodies. i still need to sandblast the cage and reassemble with the interior and add a few things but i figured i'd post up a photo of it on its "new" shoes.

i'll get out and wheel it this week, stay tuned for much better photos.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #139
Rock Crawler

i love the roll cage, looks great! I think you should get some diamond plate styrene and fill the back in for a better scale look, or carpeted bed space, like i've done to my 4 door jeep, you can buy scale carpet at a fabric store for like 90 cents. super cheap
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

yeah the interior is not done. hell its not even installed at the moment. i'm kinda thinking about a rear mounted radiator on the cage kinda above the spare tire.