Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Build buying everything seperate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Build buying everything seperate?

Been on here for a while but cant afford an scx10. How hard would it be to buy the frame set and tranny along with everything else seperate? Will the parts seperate include the hardware or directions? I think i could do this and buy parts as money allows.
Stangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Build buying everything seperate?

You will most likely end up paying more than just saving up a little and buying a used roller. If you buy parts, it won't come with any directions and sometimes no hardware.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ok thank you right now its just hard to get money to spend at one time i was thinking build/upgrade along the way but it might be hard w/o directions
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Aren't all the assembly instructions free to download?

Axial Racing - instructions
SMiTHBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You will end up spending more by buying everything separately instead of all at once with the kit, which includes all hardware needed. But like Slaughter said, you could always buy a used SCX10 to get you started.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

yes, you can get all the build instruction manuals from that link for free.

as for buying everything separate - you CAN save money if you buy all separate used UPGRADED take-off parts vs buying a complete RTR crawler and then upgrading. ultimately, the cheapest way would probably be to buy a used roller or complete crawler that already has upgrades since a seller will almost never be able to recoup the actual $ invested. there are a lot of badass crawlers with lots of upgrades already on them that pop up in the classifieds every week - if it were me, i'd just save up and drop the coin on one of these. personally, i'm trying to build a 2nd crawler but after a month of waiting for the perfect platform to show up on classifieds (and in my price range) i gave up and started piecing one together from individual take-offs (like axles, shocks and tranny) - of course after I started buying parts, good rigs started showing up for sale, hahahaha

honestly, this can be a VERY expensive hobby - so you might want to save up now and spend later vs wasting money as you go.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

it might cost more but u could also subsitute parts that u would need to buy with upgraded parts. in the long run it would be cheaper. that way u built it the way u want.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks ill keep my eyes out for a good roller maybe
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Buying everything separate like that will cost more in the long run. But at least you'll build it how you want. True that a used roller is cheapest.

If you have none of the support equipment or spares to get a roller going, probably best to go rtr.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #10

I bought a used roller with receiver and radio for $100, look around and might be able to find something similar to start your build.
picktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i did just what you are asking about. it might be "a little" more expensive, but i was able to buy when i had the money & was able to do upgrades (or buy specifically what i wanted) for most things. the key is to really really look at the "total" cost for each item. some things are cheaper through ebay & other stuff was cheaper through onlines stores. i would recommend using RPP Hobby as a reference point. i think the added cost is the shipping of things seperatetly as apposed to buying once & just one shipping cost. keep in mind that when searching to figure in the cost of shipping too. as far as directions & "all" hardware goes... everything you need is pretty easy to get ahold of & not really a concern. i personnaly liked the "hunt" of the parts (you learn what everything is real quick) i will say though that it can be headache & very time consuming. overall i think it washes out money wise.

i wish you luck & above all just learn to have fun with it & enjoy the experience!!!
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangman92 View Post
Been on here for a while but cant afford an scx10. How hard would it be to buy the frame set and tranny along with everything else seperate? Will the parts seperate include the hardware or directions? I think i could do this and buy parts as money allows.
First SCX-10 I bought was a kit. Second one is still in progress just as you described. I am gathering parts as I find deals. I bought parts from RCC members, my local club members, LHS, ebay, and various vendors online. As far as price, if you bought all NEW parts separate, yes you would spend way more than getting a kit or RTR. If you pay attention and find deals as they cross your path (maybe even do some trading), you can get a complete rig built with some upgrades for about the same price as a kit plus new electronics. It has been fun looking and finding deals.

How patient are you? Whether you save and buy, or spend a little along the way, you'll have to be patient.

As far as parts, you can get complete screws kits, complete bearing kits, and download most any manual. Research and know what upgrades you want, buy an RCC star (easiest way for access to classifieds), and start looking for deals.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

just find somebody with a credit card, buy the kit, pay it off bit by bit, would be the same as spending here and there to get the hardware you need to build it. the kit has everything but electronics.
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote

Build buying everything seperate? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Must Stop Buying AX10 build using Fastback II chassis. Crawford Axial AX-10 Scorpion 213 08-25-2011 05:36 PM
Possible to build an XR10 without buying the kit?? NVUS Axial XR10 25 01-18-2011 07:26 PM
Buying RTR vs Buying Parts Tonelock Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 10-03-2008 07:09 PM
Has anyone tried to build axles from seperate parts? sudo HPI Wheely King 14 04-07-2007 02:47 PM
Who uses a seperate pack for their servos SuperDuty97 Electronics 13 03-24-2005 11:16 AM