Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Szczerba's IFS SCX Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Szczerba's IFS SCX Build

So sweet! I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my RS4! I'll be watching this one.
sundayface is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Looking good shane
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

awesome build, I love it nice work
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
One reason I decided to do the IFS Silverado... Look at this pic:

See how you can see the rear pumpkin hanging down lower than the front end?

I am looking into getting a few 32P pinions, some 5mm steel rod, and making a direction reversing transfer case so I can keep the rear axle the right side up.

Just have to make sure you hook up the front axle to the opposite pinion as the rear axle. This also moves the trans forward, hopefully giving room for a future interior.

I like the no-slop lockers since that holds the cups in place in the case the dogbones/universals fall out.
I have 32p pinions and 5mm solid rod. Not skilled enough to make my own transfer case though. I plan on flipping the rear axle and making a new 4 link mount. I am running steel beef tubes out back so I should be able to use those for mounting points. Not sure yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayface View Post
So sweet! I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my RS4! I'll be watching this one.
There will be alot of fab work involved if you go for it. I will be documenting my build with pictures for anyone else who wants to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special agent View Post
Looking good shane
Thanks, Tatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
awesome build, I love it nice work
Thanks.

Made a simple aluminum cross bar mount. Well, it took me two trys after I snapped off the tap in the first cross bar mount. This second one fits in the C-channel better anyways. I will making another mount to go in front of the shock tower too. I anticipate my buddy MIG'ing them together.
Attached Images

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I have 32p pinions and 5mm solid rod. Not skilled enough to make my own transfer case though. I plan on flipping the rear axle and making a new 4 link mount. I am running steel beef tubes out back so I should be able to use those for mounting points. Not sure yet.
The hardest part is drilling the holes the right distance apart and grinding the flats on the rod. I will probably use a step drill and my new drill press to get everything lined up right. Flipping the rear is pretty easy though, just need to make a 4 link truss. If I don't flip the rear, I was going to make the truss so that it mounts to the C-Hub Lockout screws.

Something like GCM's or RC4WD's Transfer case might work:

Although for that price, I feel I can make something that functions exactly the same, but have some cash to spare.

Quote:
Made a simple aluminum cross bar mount. Well, it took me two trys after I snapped off the tap in the first cross bar mount. This second one fits in the C-channel better anyways. I will making another mount to go in front of the shock tower too. I anticipate my buddy MIG'ing them together.
That looks like it would be beefier than the servo post idea. I had thought of trying something like this, but I was trying to go easy on the fab work so that those with less skill could see that they can pull this off.

If you are doing that kind of mount though, you won't really need the RS4 shock tower, and you could just mount this bracket to the diff case itself.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Something like GCM's or RC4WD's Transfer case might work:

That looks like it would be beefier than the servo post idea. I had thought of trying something like this, but I was trying to go easy on the fab work so that those with less skill could see that they can pull this off.

If you are doing that kind of mount though, you won't really need the RS4 shock tower, and you could just mount this bracket to the diff case itself.
I have had a GCM transfer case before on my TTC JK. Super nice piece.
I will probably bend up a new rear 4 link and flip the axle. That will be the last thing I will do. Several hurdles to clear with the front end right now.

I plan on making another mount to go in front of the shock tower too possibly. I think the mount I have now might be strong enough when the lower skid gets built. I'll just have to wait and see. But I will build the second mount anyways. I plan on MIG'ing the shock tower and frame braces together If I can get my buddy to fire up the MIG for that small a job.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #27
Old guy

How do you always have a clean spot on your work bench for pics or is there a pile just outside of the pic where you dragged your arm across before the pic. I need to give you a banner or something for a back drop. That unfinished sheetrock has got to go.

ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
How do you always have a clean spot on your work bench for pics or is there a pile just outside of the pic where you dragged your arm across before the pic. I need to give you a banner or something for a back drop. That unfinished sheetrock has got to go.
That's just a tri-folded piece of cardboard I found a couple years ago. If you look at all of my builds its in it. Guess I could use it as a billboard too.

I just use it to push all the stuff out of the way for the picture.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
Old guy

Quote:
That's just a tri-folded piece of cardboard I found a couple years ago. If you look at all of my builds its in it. Guess I could use it as a billboard too.

I just use it to push all the stuff out of the way for the picture.
It's just card board. I have seen it all your builds, firgured it was a wall.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
It's just card board. I have seen it all your builds, firgured it was a wall.
From my DRX Rally thread.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Ax 'Em!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

The IFS looks very good. Almost like it came that way. Great work.
SmokeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Ax 'Em!
Best Forestry School in the South!
Wondering which Texan would see ol' Faithful on the wall.
Southwest Texas State University Sticker on the desk on the left too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeeJay View Post
The IFS looks very good. Almost like it came that way. Great work.
Yep, the HPI RS4 3 lends itself well to the SCX setup.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Very nice. After seeing it in the silverado build i was thinking about my next build. Have you decieded on a body or is it going to be a hpi trophy truck?
benzoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
RCC Addict

where did you end up putting you servo?
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzoel View Post
Very nice. After seeing it in the silverado build i was thinking about my next build. Have you decieded on a body or is it going to be a hpi trophy truck?
I found a video of a white regular cab IFS on youtube the other day. Not sure who made it but it looks like it works good.
Axial IFS Chev Silverado - YouTube

Probably going to go with a HPI Trophy Truck body. Or a honcho with Dinky RC "Honcho" Bedside Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDROX97 View Post
where did you end up putting you servo?
Good question. I mocked that up last night. I'll post a picture later today. Only place I could figure out where to put it and make it work with the stock HPI steering rack right now.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I was going to make my own aluminum skid but I just ordered up a RS4 3 lower chassis. For $23 shipped I could pass it up. Save me some headache. I will bend this one up and chop/cut/rebuild for the SCX setup.

Also, ordered up all the Aluminum hop ups for the RS4 3 from AsiaTees as well as the Universals. about $85 worth, minus the Diff case.

Probably wont be much progress on this build for the next couple weeks. I am going under the knife for some shoulder maintenance.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 10-26-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Not sure about this servo placement but it was the first logical place to mock it up for now.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was going to make my own aluminum skid but I just ordered up a RS4 3 lower chassis. For $23 shipped I could pass it up. Save me some headache. I will bend this one up and chop/cut/rebuild for the SCX setup.

Also, ordered up all the Aluminum hop ups for the RS4 3 from AsiaTees as well as the Universals. about $85 worth, minus the Diff case.

Probably wont be much progress on this build for the next couple weeks. I am going under the knife for some shoulder maintenance.
I wish you would have said something, I have a brand new chassis just like that, actually one in grey and one in purple. (From my Rally builds that got new custom chassis.) If you chop that one to bits and need another one, let me know.

Quote:
Not sure about this servo placement but it was the first logical place to mock it up for now.
I haven't done it yet, but I was going to place my servo there too, but have it pointing downward so that the servo horn is under the chassis, and rotating the same way the steering bellcrank would turn. This saves some stress on the servo, and it's also easy to mod an AX10 servo plate to mount to that spot. I have my trans flipped though so the driveshaft is on the other side of the chassis leaving plenty of room for the servo.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I wish you would have said something, I have a brand new chassis just like that, actually one in grey and one in purple. (From my Rally builds that got new custom chassis.) If you chop that one to bits and need another one, let me know.

I haven't done it yet, but I was going to place my servo there too, but have it pointing downward so that the servo horn is under the chassis, and rotating the same way the steering bellcrank would turn. This saves some stress on the servo, and it's also easy to mod an AX10 servo plate to mount to that spot. I have my trans flipped though so the driveshaft is on the other side of the chassis leaving plenty of room for the servo.
That chassis was only $23 shipped and hopefully I hopefully I make it work. Thanks for the offer.
I can also just swap the driveshaft around and should have plenty of room on that side too. I was going to turn the trans too and see how that looked.
You talking about vertically mounting the servo? I was going to mess with the steering setup tomorrow since I am waiting on that lower chassis now.

And GCM makes a simple rear 4 link mount for the ax10 rear axle. Should make flipping the axle easier. Uses the stock bolts.

Szczerba's IFS SCX Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JIA's IFS Ultra4 build JasonInAugusta Axial Wraith 839 10-17-2014 02:36 PM
Szczerba's Trophy Truck Build.. With Videos Szczerba Non Crawler RC's 110 07-18-2012 09:34 PM
Was Szczerba's Defender 90 Build. On to the Next. Szczerba 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 07-07-2012 05:18 PM
IFS axial build red_zook General Scale Talk 6 04-28-2012 08:43 AM
Street's t4r build(going IFS) StreetKill831 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 95 02-08-2012 07:53 PM