Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New Axial Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New Axial Rubicon

I love the black on that rig iam working on the exo kit I got a few days ago think iam gonna try painting it on the outside now and see how it goes.
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #22

Blacked out paint looks great! I might have to get myself one of these Rubis.
gravy-boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Guys!

I finally found the free time to get the windshield frame painted up to match the body and it turned out nice

As I mentioned a couple posts back, the next thing that is really buggin' me at this point is the fake looking bright glossy silver on the backs of all the seats. IT'S GOTTA GO!

I didn't fully realize just how much effort was going to be involved to mask off the rigs interior so that only the seat backs were exposed... about 35 min. later and a crap-load of tape and plastic and I was ready for a contrasting color change. I sure hope all the expended effort pays off

For the seat backs, I decided to try my luck with another Krylon Fusion (for plastics) product. This one is labeled "Textured Shimmer", and even though the color says "2520 Black" it really looks more like a gun metal grey or dark charcoal with a slight hint of metalics.

Another 10 min. of un-masking revealed a worth while end result IMO. I think it looks WAY better without those unsightly silver seat backs!

BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Found a half - decent driver figure... or should I say HALF OF A DECENT DRIVER FIGURE LOL

After a quick introduction to a hack saw blade and some high temp manipulation of the arm's he fit's pretty darn good (surprisingly?) Didn't even have to use tape or glue to hold him in place, one hand on the wheel and one hand on the grab handle and seem's to be quite secure

Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #25

I need to paint mine flat black!
Jonesy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #26
Looking for new Trails

Good looking rig, the black looks good and the little details make a world of difference..
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

I like it! I'm a huge fan of black rigs...good thing you didn't paint it red, otherwise I wouldn't have posted lol.
I use the same technique as well, paint inside silver and outside black or whatever color I fancy, I love the look of scratches that show up after kissing a few rocks here and there.:thumbup:
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

While browsing the local Walmart yesterday, I ran across a couple inexpensive items that looked like they had good potential for a couple more mods...

Found this sweet looking material in the fabric department. For less than $2 I got enough to make 5 or 6 attempts at a bikini top.

I was also on the search for something to make inner fender wheel wells out of, and these little Ziploc containers seemed just about perfect.

First attempt came out almost perfect, still need to clean up edges and throw on some black paint.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Looking killer
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Got the inner fenders trimmed, painted, and installed... they turned out great (better than my camera skills can show)

The rear's were quick and easy to get trimmed for a snug fit being pretty much square. The front's were a bit more of a challange requiring several test-fit's in between trimming, but I am very happy with the final results.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

If you guy's get sick and tired of all my "NOOBISH" photo posts, feel free to say STFU and I will refrain from posting too much

In the meantime, I'm having too much fun playing around with this "first scaler"... my wife thinks I am nutz but I'm having a good time over here - lol

Look what just arrived this morning, I think this is my favorite best-bang-for-the-buck mod so far...

A 5 piece set of FT04-18 beadlock rings from MTHead!

I had already previously removed the glued tires in a bath of acetone and invested in a standard set of black Axial 8 hole beadlocks, so the installation of the new MTHead rings went quickly and without issue... I still need to get some nice quality screw's to fill the holes, but even without those I think they look sweet!

I also added lead stick-on weight's wrapped in electrical tape and drilled a breather hole through the lip of each wheel from the back while I was in there. 4oz front and 2.5oz rear.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Mounted a 3Racing winch with the nice added touch of a bowtie decal set... this winch will be for scale appearance only really, as I still intend to install a servo winch to serve the "real winch duty" as well. In this photo you may also notice the functional offroad lights, fog lights, and turn signal lights already installed (Axial buckets & lenses)... still looking for the perfect fit as far as functional head and tail lights, contemplating the not yet released set from Dinky to fill that niche...

Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #33
RCC Addict

STFU.....LMAO...

No please post pics. That is something we like.
I so have the same ziplock holders too. Going to get it out after I get the little one down.

Great job.
shwng1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwng1973 View Post
STFU.....LMAO...

I so have the same ziplock holders too. Going to get it out after I get the little one down.
Word To The Wise:
Whatever you do, dont take your wife's containers... go buy your own!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

nice paint job bodibulit i might paint my wraith with that kind of paint but a different color
crwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

You can bring on the punishment when runing Robison Racing tranny gears from what I understand... #1541 & 1542 installed

Last edited by BodiBuilt; 12-20-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodiBuilt View Post
Word To The Wise:
Whatever you do, dont take your wife's containers... go buy your own!
LMAO. I sent the wife out to get me some.
shwng1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I have also installed a Jevne Racing "Recon" battery/servo plate which fit my intended requirements nicely!

This photo shows the stock Axial radio box mounted on the JR plate.

Having intensions of mounting a servo winch in the near future I decided I should trim off the mounting tabs and any other plastic needlessly protruding from the box

Last edited by BodiBuilt; 12-20-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #39

nice mods, but have a question here, did you get any embrittlement of the body after you put on the Krylon? I read somewhere that the lacquer is not that appropriate for lexan body, the body would be unacceptably fragile, but I dont know how it works with lacquer paint on top of lexan paint, if it works fine I will definitely follow ur way, cuz matt black looks way to cool for rcs ;)
pelucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelucas View Post
did you get any embrittlement of the body after you put on the Krylon?
It appears to be pretty flexible and so far is holding up really well.
I'm not 100% positive if this is a laquer based product or not (does not specify on the can)?

The can does specifically state that it will bond to most plastic's, and the lable shows it being used on a outdoor plastic lawn chair (which I imagine would flex quite a bit each time you get in/out of it)...

I have not really been too rough on the body yet, but I have rolled it a few times in the dirt and so far it shows no abnormality

New Axial Rubicon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's Axial JK Rubicon Harley Axial SCX-10 369 03-06-2015 08:31 AM
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM
New axial jeep rubicon pajey Newbie General 4 10-30-2012 06:22 AM
Jeep Rubicon body for my axial bnoland General Crawlers 5 08-18-2008 12:54 PM
Need pics of Jeep Rubicon Axial combo.... JLOC Newbie General 20 12-05-2007 08:50 AM