Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New Axial Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Axial Rubicon

Its fun to do your j/k would be able.to do it.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #102

Got mine and took it out straight out of the box.
A few hours later and she was running fine..
I did move the battery forward and the parts to do this are in the bag of the RTR box. I used a promatch 4000 battery that me and the kids ran for almost 2 hours and still had plenty left over. Its light weight and very usable.
Changed the gearing to 16x87 and that really helped the speed out of the box issue.
Did some crawling sat and the battery forward really helped. I feel some dialing in with weights on the axils and in the rims might help take it to the next level..

My history - Nitro and EC buggy racing... Crawling is a whole new beast that requires some thought and is full of a TON of FUN..

20130302_132252_resized by ChumminRob, on Flickr

20130313_190544 by ChumminRob, on Flickr

20130302_124322_resized by ChumminRob, on Flickr
Chummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #103

Has anyone gone to the Alum shocks for this setup?
Im still using the stock plastic shocks from the RTR kit. I see it has dual shocks on it and the spacers are backed out 100%. I dont seen any benefit on moving the shock spacers down.
Thoughts or point me to a thread that explains this. on the race cars, the shock springs are used for ride height and all the inerts are used to help with the suspension.

With that in mind, are there upgrades to the Rubicon that I can look into?

Thanks...
Chummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #104
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummin View Post
Has anyone gone to the Alum shocks for this setup?
That's something I forgot to include in the thread... shock's!

After hearing so many good reports on Traxxas "Big Bore's" and how well they hold oil, I decided to give a set a try on my rig. (My stock plastic shocks leaked profusely!)

I used a set of Crawler Innovations spring cup adaptors and picked up 2 Losi MRC spring assortments so I can play around with tuning them...

The shocks were about 15mm longer than stock, so I used short lengths of nitro fuel tubing internally (installed on shaft below piston) to limit the throw length close to what it was with the stock shocks.

Haven't had a chance to run the rig with the new setup, but I think it's going to work out nicely once I get the spring and oil weight combo dialed in

BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Found some free time so I worked on my rig a bit

Today's mod's were mainly focused on installing the servo winch which was hand built by my buddy Mike @ my LHS including waterproofing and a custom machined servo horn spool

I played around with mounting options above and below the surface of my J.R. plate looking for that sweet spot that would not interfere with my rig's steering, suspension articulation, ect., and ended up with this -->

Old 03-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Awesome build, im keeping up with this one
flascx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #107
Rock Stacker

I have to say that looks great, i love the Black on Black paint scheme! how has the paint and the body held up?
I have the same thinking as you pertaining to the silver body. I like the fender wells you have as well, i'm going to have to do that. I just ordered the axial beadlocks and MT Baja Claws. I also thought it was funny when i saw you used the grim racer speed grease, that's what i used for my axles. I'm making my tubes for the axles out of a plumbing part i found someone mention in a post. thanks for keeping this updated with good pictures! keep up the great work! I cant wait to see what you do next.
Googledit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #108

very nice spray bud.. really like the colour with that rubi. well done
pangolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #109
Quarry Creeper

Thank's for all the positive comments guy's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googledit View Post
I have to say that looks great, i love the Black on Black paint scheme! how has the paint and the body held up?
The paint is holding up very well! Even after some rough abuse and a few hard roll-overs against rock, the paint shows no signs of cracking, peeling, or chipping. I am starting to end up with a few minor scrapes here and there where the exterior paint has been scratched all the way through exposing the silver underneath and I think it looks fairly realistic just like if you were to scrape the paint on a real vehicle down to bare metal

Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #110
Rock Stacker

That does look realistic, thanks for the pic!
Googledit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Any up date on the finish of the winch?
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

I am curious on your thoughts regarding the performance of the shocks you put together.

Cheers
H2Micr0
H2Micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
Any up date on the finish of the winch?
I am still in the process of relocating most of my wiring to the rear using a Radio Shack project box, so I have not actually used the new servo winch yet...

I kept the RC4WD Warn winch on the bumper as a "dummy" scale-looking winch, and I ran the line from the new servo winch through the RC4WD roller fairlead. Also swapped out the (highly functional but ugly) hook that was included with the servo winch over to the less-functional but much better (more scale) looking RC4WD Kong hook

On a side note, I did also have to raise the front body posts up 1 notch to allow the body to clear the servo winch housing... the body is now sitting a little higher than I would prefer, but I have a lot of weight down low on this rig so my COG should still be pretty good I hope... I wont know how it really performs until I get this wiring all cleaned up, and that part seems to be taking me forever to accomplish
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Micr0 View Post
I am curious on your thoughts regarding the performance of the shocks you put together.

Cheers
H2Micr0
I have not actually been able to run them yet, but I will give an update once I do!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #115
Rock Stacker

Awesome Build! just recieved my scx10 rubi kit today. i really like the looks of those rims and you cb antenna.
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the kind words

Once again I have been lacking on updating this thread... too many pans in the fire I suppose... I got side-tracked with my Wraith Build and have been neglecting finishing off the Rubicon... finally got around to relocating the majority of wiring to the rear installed into a Radio Shack Project Box, still need to button things up - should turn out pretty clean when it's done

Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #117
Pebble Pounder

Rig looks better and better every time you run it
Any updates?
Trentenowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the compliments

I did finally get all the wiring shortened/extended where needed and got everything mounted into the project box... BEC, lighting controller, ect., I also installed a micro-switch towards the front of the box from the inside to operate the lights... turned out nice and clean (better than my crappy pix can show - lol) and everything is functioning properly Still need to do some programming to the 4PL to get the winch working off one of the momentary rockers and then I will call it "done" (for wiring at least)... not as crafty as one of Mike Pham's wiring jobs, but still cleaner than most I see rolling around locally

Old 05-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #119
mgb

I may have to break down and finally buy one of these, nice job!
mgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #120
Rock Stacker

did the project box mount easily? thinking about giving that a try with mine. Still have my battery located in the rear.
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote

New Axial Rubicon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's Axial JK Rubicon Harley Axial SCX-10 369 03-06-2015 08:31 AM
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM
New axial jeep rubicon pajey Newbie General 4 10-30-2012 06:22 AM
Jeep Rubicon body for my axial bnoland General Crawlers 5 08-18-2008 12:54 PM
Need pics of Jeep Rubicon Axial combo.... JLOC Newbie General 20 12-05-2007 08:50 AM