Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New Axial Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Axial Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSSUPERSTORE View Post
did the project box mount easily? thinking about giving that a try with mine. Still have my battery located in the rear.
I used a strip of self-adhesive Velcro/double-loop to secure the project box to the original battery mounting plate which worked out nicely... secure yet easily removable if needed
BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Received a couple goodies from DSPRO earlier today... swing-out spare mounted dual Jerry can holder with 2 cans

Got the holder mounted, still intend to apply some "weathering" to the cans before I secure them...

Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #123
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodiBuilt View Post
I used a strip of self-adhesive Velcro/double-loop to secure the project box to the original battery mounting plate which worked out nicely... secure yet easily removable if needed
Cool thanks for the help. I will check my local radio shack to see if they have one.
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #124
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words

Once again I have been lacking on updating this thread... too many pans in the fire I suppose... I got side-tracked with my Wraith Build and have been neglecting finishing off the Rubicon... finally got around to relocating the majority of wiring to the rear installed into a Radio Shack Project Box, still need to button things up - should turn out pretty clean when it's done

I don't see how you hooked up your BEC to battery power, where do you tap it in? Congratulations on this awesome build, I really like the mods you are doing and btw your wiring is top notch compared to what i achieved on my Honcho .
TrailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #125

i like what you did with this!! looks goood
bastard jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #126
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I appreciate them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailAddict View Post
I don't see how you hooked up your BEC to battery power, where do you tap it in? Congratulations on this awesome build, I really like the mods you are doing and btw your wiring is top notch compared to what i achieved on my Honcho .
I confess I had a little help with that...
My buddy Mike from my LHS did the soldering on the BEC. (He's got mad soldering skillz, way better than mine lol)... I had him open up the ESC to waterproof it for me, and while we were in there I had him solder the BEC leads directly to the main power leads where they contact the P.C. board. Turned out super clean and looks as if the BEC came wired to the ESC from the factory!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #127
Pebble Pounder

Soldering the BEC lead to the PCB is a great idea I'm going to try it on my next AE-2 (My stock one has alredy been waterproofed) or maybe I'l just try to pry it out of the plastidip . I'm probably going to buy a new AE-2 anyway because the battery leads now measure about 1" (It was one of my first times trying to solder a traxxas plug and also the last, those things are a pain in the butt ) because i kept cutting down the wire to make a new attempt at soldering the traxxas plug. But just before running out of wire to solder onto, I switched to deans, wich has made my life a whole lot easier btw . Nice build keep it comming.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #128
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

3Racing 12mm Brake Adaptor (used as wheel spacer's for additional tire/knuckle clearance)
Where did you buy the brake spacers? because I can't seem to find them. How much more offset did these get you? Because I am trying to fing a thick 12mm hex to mimic the effect of your brake rotors (increase offset).
Thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #129
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Where did you buy the brake spacers? because I can't seem to find them. How much more offset did these get you? Because I am trying to fing a thick 12mm hex to mimic the effect of your brake rotors (increase offset).
Thanks
I picked them up from my LHS, but I just did a quick search and found them available through Integy...

My best guess is they only added about 2mm offset per wheel, which gave just enough clearance to not allow wheel/tire/linkage to rub on VP knuckles... only down sides I see aside from cost is the "hex" portion is not quite thick (deep) enough to fully seat all the way into the hex cavity of the (stock axial plastic) wheel, so it may induce a bit of extra stress on the (wheel) hex which may be a concern for higher powered motors running plastic wheels? Also, they are still a bit too wide to allow you to reuse the OEM hub nut covers.

I have actually removed them since then and gone another way using a set of these... the centering "nub" will need to be filed down flush so it does not protrude (which only takes a few minutes with a file) in order to work with the Scx10 style wheels. I also had to open up the ID just a hair with a dremel and a small cone-shaped bit in order to get them to seat all the way down on the axle flanges. Once modded they work well.

For under $4 a set it was worth the effort IMO

Old 06-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #130
Pebble Pounder

Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #131
Pebble Pounder

Do you have binding issues using the Axial universals in conjunction with the stage 1 vanquish kit? Do the CVDs bind at full steering?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #132
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Do you have binding issues using the Axial universals in conjunction with the stage 1 vanquish kit? Do the CVDs bind at full steering?
No sir, no binding at all so far
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #133
Pebble Pounder

So Vanquish CVDs (or even super 300 for that matter) are not mandatory to extrac all the possible steering angle from the Vanquish stage 1 kit.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #134
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So Vanquish CVDs (or even super 300 for that matter) are not mandatory to extrac all the possible steering angle from the Vanquish stage 1 kit.
I have the steering exponential adjusted on the radio so that at full crank it will just start to rub the edge of the tire's against the shock's... if the shocks were not in the way, I may be able to get even more steering angle out of the setup until I reached the point where something else was rubbing or starting to bind!

Vanquish VVD's are certainly nice, but I can buy 3 set's of Axial universal's for around the same cost as a set of the Vanquish version... and so far the Axial set is holding up well without any issue... so for me it is hard to justify the cost difference.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #135
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words

Once again I have been lacking on updating this thread... too many pans in the fire I suppose... I got side-tracked with my Wraith Build and have been neglecting finishing off the Rubicon... finally got around to relocating the majority of wiring to the rear installed into a Radio Shack Project Box, still need to button things up - should turn out pretty clean when it's done

What dimension project box is it? I plan on housing my electronics inside of one but since I have the honcho I'll use two boxes placed on the rock sliders.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #136
Quarry Creeper

Hey TrailAddict, sorry about the REALLY SLOW reply... you probably got your set up all figured out by now ... but for future reference I used the 4x2x1 size box which is Radio Shack # 270-1802

New Axial Rubicon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's Axial JK Rubicon Harley Axial SCX-10 369 03-06-2015 08:31 AM
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM
New axial jeep rubicon pajey Newbie General 4 10-30-2012 06:22 AM
Jeep Rubicon body for my axial bnoland General Crawlers 5 08-18-2008 12:54 PM
Need pics of Jeep Rubicon Axial combo.... JLOC Newbie General 20 12-05-2007 08:50 AM