Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hawaiian Honcho build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Hawaiian Honcho build!

Sounds like you just had a brush hang up, it happens. How did the brushes look when you had them out? Did they look burnt at all? How bout the com?
BigGuyJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
I'm not sure? I only ran 2S before I got the 3S yesterday? Also see my UPDATE my NEED HELP post^^^
Ah OK. Good job troubleshooting. To be safe give the motor a thorough cleaning and relube the bearings. I don't know what people use on their coms if anything, but I've always used a very small amount of speciffic com lube after cleaning as well. Never had a motor lock up on me before.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
Sounds like you just had a brush hang up, it happens. How did the brushes look when you had them out? Did they look burnt at all? How bout the com?
I hope it is something as simple as that. I didn't take the brushes out. I just tugged on the wiring that goes to them to move them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Ah OK. Good job troubleshooting. To be safe give the motor a thorough cleaning and relube the bearings. I don't know what people use on their coms if anything, but I've always used a very small amount of speciffic com lube after cleaning as well. Never had a motor lock up on me before.
Yeah, I don't know a thing about motor cleaning/servicing. Looks like I've got some research to do because I want to do this before putting it back in. Im running my sock motor for now

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you updated.
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #64

First off, nice build. Second, I noticed you posting some pics or the truck in the wet and the dry. This change in environments can cause bits of dust and dirt to get caught up in the motor. This crap can cause the issues you are having. I would also recommend breaking in the motor in a cup of filtered water.(not critical but helps especially with the better motors) There is a pretty nice video from medic on this process and can be found on YouTube. Search "how to clean a brushed rc motor" I would try using a spare or old motor first for the rebuild/cleaning and then do your primary when you are comfortable. The first time I tried, I screwed up major.
Lastly, I'm super jealous of the terrain you have but maybe next time the wife and I visit family, I can crawl with you guys. Not sure how to travel with lipos but whatever.
Love what you've done to the rig.
Mahalo!
wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Yes^^^ I can't blame the motor. A holmes hand wound is one of the best brushed motors for sure. I think I have between 5-6 hrs on this motor and yes it was in both dry dusty and wet muddy terrain. I never thought to clean or even inspect the motor. This is a huge learning curve for me for sure. I will get some motor cleaner and pay close attention to my brushes and comm from now on. After doing a lot of reading up on there brushed motors my faith is restored as it was my own falt and not the motor's.

As far as the brake in goes, from my understanding all the hand wound HH motors come broken in already.

BTW. If you ever get your rig to Honolulu I'd be glad to take you to these spots!

Last edited by cox308; 03-24-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Ok so I cleaned the motor with LPS PSC which is made for electric motors. Got a bunch of black stuff out. Carbon I'm assuming. Also notice I'm getting a little bit of spark between the comm and brushes so I set the timing to about 6-7 degree's. no more sparks

Everything seems to be running 100% now and maybe even better with the adjusted timing. Thank you everyone for the help! This site is awesome!

Here's a pic on top the mountain along with a pair or Wraith's

Last edited by cox308; 03-24-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

DO NOT break in the newer motors with a water dip, modern brushes are softer than the "old school" ones and will prematurely wear the brushes. If you aren't goining to protect the motor from dust/mud with some kind of filter, routine maintenance is a must.

Nice truck/set up. Hope to see you at the Shaka Brah! G6. -Russ
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusT808 View Post
DO NOT break in the newer motors with a water dip, modern brushes are softer than the "old school" ones and will prematurely wear the brushes. If you aren't goining to protect the motor from dust/mud with some kind of filter, routine maintenance is a must.

Yeah, I wouldn't try the water method. I'm basicly just sticking to what J Holmes recommends and he says not to do that.

A filter is a good idea. I never thought of that!

Outerwears Performance Electric Motor Pre-Filter (1 1/8 x 2 3/4 to 1 1/4 Tall) (Black) [OUT20-2450-01] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

This is the only on I could find^^^ Is this common for people to run these?

I'm hoping to be at the G6 too but I don't know if I can get all the required scale Items in time.

Last edited by cox308; 03-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Got 3 packages in the mail today! This is better than X-mas!

First off. Got my wheels baby! These are just SICK! I'll be running the Ripsaw's that came with truck until I can find some 1.9 PitBulls.

Also received my Thunder Power 3S Lipo.

Lastly I received my scale items, roof rack, and Axial 40mm soft springs.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Ok so I've been waiting to show you guys my new Honcho body. I can't think of a better time to debut it than with the new wheels and scale items!

I really like the way the Axial emblem came out. Thanks again to Bowtie for the yota grill. Also check out the new shackels!

LED headlights Coming soon!

The Proline roof rack fit perfectly! Gotta have Da duck tape!

VIPER fins!

These are Theme based scale items for a local G6

I don't think I could be happier with the way it all turned out! I really thought about going with a Hilux body but then I thought....the reason I choose the scx10 to begin with is because I like the Honcho body style so much. Really glad I stuck with it. Colors I went with are Metallic Black, Metallic Blue, and Silver.

What you guys think?

Last edited by cox308; 03-26-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusT808 View Post

Why are the brushes softer I used to race in the 90 s and brushes lasted way longer why not now?
mtgrizzlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

The new body looks good. Nice scale items, too.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Sweet build!

Loving the swim fins
zidaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #74
Rock Stacker

Excellent rims! Nice keg too lol
nightster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #75

Looks sweet man,
djp087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #76

Truck looks awesome! That roll of duck tape is mean!
00Pocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys

Did a little work on the honch today.

My electric box up front was getting crowded since my new Futaba RX is bigger and I need to make room for the wench controller, light controller, and wires etc. So I picked up some Project Boxes from Radio shack. These boxes were around $4 each and are perfect for housing electrical stuff.

The 2x3x1 Box fit perfect in place of the stock box and gave me a lot of extra room. I also wanted to house the BEC I just bought. So I mounted a 2x4x1 box to house the ESC and BEC. I also lowered the height of the ESC mount because of the added weight of the box. I bought the Castle BEC from my LHS and they programmed it to 6 volts for me. These houses should keep all my electrical shielded from the elements and with a littel silicone I can water proof them

I case you haven't noticed yet, Don't like the look of unsightly wires all over the place. I hate when someone has a nice build and then all you really notice is the wires bundles cluttering up everything. I like my shit to look at least semi professional as apposed to looking like a jerry rigged hack job

Last edited by cox308; 03-29-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Damn! Super clean. Nicely done!
Antisimplistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

thanks anti^^^

Motor Problems again

First time out today since I "thought" I had the motor problem fixed. Same thing as last time. About 2 hours in and my throttle started to become unresponsive. A few minutes later and it stopped running. If I gave it a push it would run for a little more and then stop again. Also while this was happening i had a huge loss of power. It was dry today and a relatively clean day of rock crawling.

I think it's time to send the motor back to Holmes and have a tear down report. Its too bad that I probably won't have a motor for the G6 which is a week away
Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

I had a similar problem with a HH torquemaster. The comm/brushes needed to be cleaned, had carbon? build up. I just used an eraser from a pencil to rub off the black from them and the motor works well again. Also put a small drop of thin oil on the bearings after using electric cleaner.

Also, check to see that the winds are not "burnt", discolored.

Last edited by RusT808; 03-30-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Hawaiian Honcho build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Nada Local boy. Hawaiian Hawaiian kailuaboy Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 12 12-17-2006 08:04 PM