Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hawaiian Honcho build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Hawaiian Honcho build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusT808 View Post
I had a similar problem with a HH torquemaster. The comm/brushes needed to be cleaned, had carbon? build up. I just used an eraser from a pencil to rub off the black from them and the motor works well again. Also put a small drop of thin oil on the bearings after using electric cleaner.

Also, check to see that the winds are not "burnt", discolored.
I just got to clean the motor again and it is working fine now. I haven't taken the motor apart yet. The brushes and comm look okay to me but I don't really know what to look for?

I seriously thinking about going brushless now just for the ease of maintenance but I really don't want to give up on this HH combo yet. Really don't know what to do now?
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Ok so I removed the motor and sent Mr Holmes an email about getting it serviced.

In the mean time...the Hawn Honch went to the dark side

Tekin Pro4 3300kv, MMP ESC, 32p 12t pinion 5mm shaft, and a traxxas spur 32p 56t.

Because my trans screws kept stripping I picked up a VP trans case. I got a wild hair up my ass and bought a dig while I was at it

Hs-225MG and metal arm to run the dig.

The dig kit comes with a standard size servo mount so I ordered a mini servo mount direct from VP. Still waiting on it. Also ordered a MIP "dig" rear drive shaft which I'm still waiting on.

Here are a couple shots with the new motor and ESC installed! Still managed to keep it pretty clean. I had to remove the top case and fan of the MMP to fit it in the project box. Also Installed is the VP trans housing. I'll have to wait on the rest of my parts to arrive before installing the dig

The dust cover wouldn't fit with the new larger spur. I'm planning on trying to get a smaller one and/or rounding the forward edge to get it to fit. We will see...

Initial thoughts after driveway test with new mods:

This motor and ESC combo has completely changed the Honcho from a Precision crawler to a crazy rock basher. It now has tire shredding speed and torque. It launches off the line like a top fuel dragster! It takes a spit second to be at a complete stop to be tumbling all over the place. Full speed to full reverse nearly lands a front flip. It still has the low end to crawl be not even close to the low speed control the HH set-up had (obviously) I still have a lot of tuning that needs to be done. I'd like to get it to crawl better. First I'm going to lower the gearing as much as I can. I can aford to give up some wheel speed. It tops off around 15 mph+ or so now! and then I'm going to tune the MMP with the castle link. I know it will never be a precise as the HH set-up but I'm going to do everything I can to make as close as possible. Stay tuned for more updates...

Here are a couple glamor shots from my last run with the HH set-up. Note: I ordered a new Honcho cage for my new body and threw the RTR one back together. This way I can have a Basher body and a cherry body

One miss pull of the trigger would have been probably a 500 ft. drop!

Also a note on the new wheel tire combo:

This is a HUGE upgrade from the steelie/flat irons! The new rims hold the bead SO much better! The Ripsaws make lines that were challenging before a breeze. I can also climb some things that I wouldn't even think of with the flat irons. I was literally shouting in joy and laughing out loud when I was going up such hard lines with ease!

Last edited by cox308; 03-31-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Lmao...throwing money at this thing like nobody's business. The HH combo wasn't even 2 weeks old yet.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

^^^tell me about it! This whole thing is barely 2 weeks old! LMOA! Gotta love TAX RETURNS!

Last edited by cox308; 03-31-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

I run the esc/motor combo in my JIA IFS,
You might want to try a 58t spur for lower control.

I think you built a monster!
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusT808 View Post
I run the esc/motor combo in my JIA IFS,
You might want to try a 58t spur for lower control.

I think you built a monster!
I will likely put the Holmes back in when after it gets serviced and put this Pro4/MMP combo into my next build. lol. Probably a Wraith.

I took the rig out and within 5 min I broke a lower link rod end. Fixed it and then 5 min later broke another one...fixed it and the 5 min later...steering servo stripped....I admit I was bashing but Its hard not to with this set up
Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
I will likely put the Holmes back in when after it gets serviced and put this Pro4/MMP combo into my next build. lol. Probably a Wraith.

I took the rig out and within 5 min I broke a lower link rod end. Fixed it and then 5 min later broke another one...fixed it and the 5 min later...steering servo stripped....I admit I was bashing but Its hard not to with this set up
Yikes!

I was thinking of doing the same for my next rig (brushless Wraith), but if I just so happen to get the motor/esc before the kit, I'll definitely have to refrain from dropping it into the scx10, lol. I would like to see how mild-mannered the Teken ROC motors are for scale crawling because the idea of an almost maintenance free motor is appealing. My only brushless experience is with planes and helis, and all I know is that the motor in my heli is maybe half the size of a 540 brushed motor, yet it runs a 3s 2200mah pack down to cutoff in about 6 minutes if I let it. The power in these things is amazing. I would have never imagined it when I was racing on-road 15 years ago with NiCd abtteries and 27T "stock" motors.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #88
Pebble Pounder

I was planning on getting the ROC but got the Pro4 instead. The Rock would have been better in the scx10 I think with a lower kv rating. Plus the pinion's for the 5mm Pro4 shaft are expensive. I may try a ROC 2300 kv in the very near future.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #89
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
I would have never imagined it when I was racing on-road 15 years ago with NiCd abtteries and 27T "stock" motors.
Amen! And we spent a LOT more on batteries then.
Antisimplistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #90
Pebble Pounder

I love getting mail!

Finally my shocks arrived! RC4WD King Shocks 100mm. These things are works of art! Got them filled with 60w oil and they feel great! Might try 80w to get them a little firmer. The springs are really soft so it allows the suspension to sag perfectly and i didn't get any lift in the front at all. The back was raised .25 inch. I could even it out by adjusting the spring tension but I'm going to run it like this first. I'll get some body on picks as soon as my rear cage arrives for my new body. I'll get some flex shots too as it has a bit more flex!

P.S. I'm running my stock servo for now. I'm trying to decide what servo to get next. Almost picked up a Futaba 9157 today but held off to do a little more research.

Last edited by cox308; 04-01-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

If you are considering running 7.4V to a servo, how about the BLS157.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
If you are considering running 7.4V to a servo, how about the BLS157.
I would go 7.4 to the steering steering servo but my HS-225MG dig servo is limited to 6 volts. So to kkep it simpler I think I have to stick with 6 volts. I'll check out the BLS157 non the less!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Ah, yup...forgot about the dig. One benefit of a brushless servo like the BLS157 is that it uses a bit less power than the 9157, though the 9157 is a proven servo and you couldn't go wrong with either. The common Hitecs are worth looking at too in order of least to most torque: 7955, 7954 and 7950. The 54 and 50 are HV servos, but run fine on 6V.

Another option for running a HV servo is that you could power the dig servo off your esc, and wire the CC BEC directly to the steering servo.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #94
Pebble Pounder

I'd grab a HS7950 if they had it at my LHS. I like the sounds of Hitec's warranty. I think I'll just grab the S9157 since its in stock. I heard that Futaba is pretty good about warranty and repairs too.

Btw I has them order me a Tekin ROC 412 2300kv
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
Btw I has them order me a Tekin ROC 412 2300kv
Now we're talking.

Let us know when you hear word on the Holmes stuff. It's kind of a shame that didn't work out for you because that 16T Crawlmaster should really hit the spot on an scx10.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #96
Pebble Pounder

You know 3 weeks ago I would have scorned the thought of buying a $140 servo...

Got the S9157 installed! Lovin it! The power is awesome (425 oz @ 6v!) and It's much quieter than the RC4WD twister it replaced.

Also received my HD titanium rear axles with extended flange's.

Here they are next to the stockers. Notice the lip on the right side is smaller on the HD axle's. This allows them to work with the beef tubes where as the lip of the stock axles where rubbing and binding.

Here they are installed in the VP locker. It wasn't a direct drop in the extended flanges were a bit too long and contacted each other before the axles seated into the locker. A little grinding with the Dremel fixed that. They also didn't center perfectly when tightened the first time. Swapping them around left and right and turning them 180 degree's and I found the straightest way configuration I could. I did get them to work with the set screws with very little wobble.

Beef tubes installed and all greased up

I didn't take any pics of everything completed and put together because you can see any of this stuff from the outside. I am very glad to have the VP lockers working with the set screws now! The rear wheels are connected together SOLID with NO SLOP!

Quote:
Now we're talking.

Let us know when you hear word on the Holmes stuff. It's kind of a shame that didn't work out for you because that 16T Crawlmaster should really hit the spot on an scx10.
Very true. The HH Crawlmaster 16T did hit the spot for sure but I am lazy when it comes to maintenance!

Mr Holmes replied to my email and agreed that the comm probably just needs a turn. I'm mailing it to him now.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Damn, you don't fool around when you mod. I love it!

Hope you can make it to The Shaka Brah II G6 this weekend.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #98
Pebble Pounder

^^^

I'll be there!

Took the Honch out exploring yesterday. Ended up going to Kuliou'ou ridge trail. Awsome place for a trail ride with some fun crawling sections too.

First time really out crawling with the Pro4 motor. I ran it on 2S and tuned my 4PL to 70% forward and 60% reverse throttle to make it more controllable and less likely to brake stuff. This setup worked out ver well.

Nice and shady too!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #99
Rock Stacker

Have you noticed any heat issues with having your MMP mounted in the project box? Great looking truck btw.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #100
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota2 View Post
Have you noticed any heat issues with having your MMP mounted in the project box? Great looking truck btw.
I ran up the trail and back about 2 hrs. Didn't have any issues. I'm planning on using the metal lid that came with the box and drilling holes in it. That way I'll have a lid for dry/extra hot days and a solid lid for cooler/night/wet conditions.

Hawaiian Honcho build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Nada Local boy. Hawaiian Hawaiian kailuaboy Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 12 12-17-2006 08:04 PM