Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hawaiian Honcho build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #101
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Hawaiian Honcho build!

Thanks for the reply, that is a good idea.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #102
Pebble Pounder

Got my Pitbull's today!

Also received my VP mini servo mount and MIP short shaft. Now I have all the parts necessary to complete my dig!

Got a lot of work to do now before tomorrows G6!
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #103
Pebble Pounder

^^^Thanks bud^^^

Got to workin on the VP dig install! The VP trans outdrive didn't come with a hole for my through pin I'm using with my MIP drive shafts. You can see the center punch mark I made here. I put it in a vise and drilled a 3/32" hole using a HS drill bit. It was pretty hard but not to bad. I had a pic of the process but somehow lost it

Found it!

Picture of the new VP Dig rear trans output with the Dog installed.

VP Dig unit installed on trans.

Mini servo mount mounted and motor installed. Running this mini mount and mini servo is critical if running a Honcho body. It barely allows for the body to still go on. The regular mount and servo wouldn't have worked.

MIP Dig drive shaft. You can see here that the male shaft is about 1" shorter than the normal shaft. The female side is the same.

I got lazy and decided not to drill the dig output. I used the set screws that came with the shafts instead. Hopefully the Loctite holds up and it doesn't come loose.

Picked up a 25mm titanium turnbuckle from my LHS and used the Traxxas links that I had already to connect the servo to the dig shift lever. Without completely redoing my motor wires I had to run them underneath the
linkage and between the arms. It isn't the cleanest looking but It works for now.

Another shot from the other side.

A pic of the new layout with dig installed.

After the driveway test the dig works flawlessly I have it set up so the rear locks when I press the momentary button on my 4pl's grip. I also have a 3 position switch going to it so I can shift from 4wd to rear axle locked to rear axle in neutral. No mater wher the 3 position is I can put it back to 4wd with a push of the button on the grip. The Mini servo seems to handle the shifting with no problems at all even on the fly! This is a awesome upgrade for a SCX10! turns on a dime. Can't wait to test it out on the trail and while crawling!

Tags: Vanquish Dig on scx10, VP Dig on Axial trail Honcho, VP dig mini servo, MIP scx10 dig driveshaft.

Last edited by cox308; 04-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Got the Pitbull's on and even though my new Honch cage didn't come in yet I threw my new body on the old cage for the G6 today.

So get ready for a load of PIC's!

Flex shots with new shocks. 4 tires of flex now

King shock pics as promised!

Sick

The Pitbull's are a little bit taller.

and much WIDER!

Put my scale items on for the G6

Made a tow rope out of some Malin #30 SS wire and some 550 Paracord

Extra tow rope!

tags: 1.9 Pitbull tires on scx10 Trail Honcho, Pit bull's scx-10
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

It's been about 2 weeks since my last update. Have a bunch of stuff going on...

First off, the G6 was Awesome! I was doing too much driving to take pics but here is a shot of the line up before the night stage.

Here's a picture on day 2 of the Hawn Honch and a couple other trucks after the mud pit. My truck is far from water proof so I tried to launch over the pit. I landed about a foot short! The underbody got it bad!

Stripped it down and gave it a bath when I got home.

Noticed I bent a link at the G6! Also had a couple rod ends that were about to brake.

Stopped by the hardware store for some 8-32 all thread and got some 1/4" tubbing and some Jato rod ends from my LHS.

These were super easy to make. Took about 20 mins!

Bottoms done...tops coming next!

Ended up drilling a hole for a threw bolt on the dig outdrive. I had the Mip set screws fail and come out during the G6. Luckily I found the drive shaft! Hopefully this won't weaken the outdrive enough that it brakes. Only time will tell...

Also changed out the Pro4 (3300 kv) for a ROC 412 (2300 kv).

I am able to run much smaller pinions again IMHO the ROC is much more crawl-able that the Pro4 will ever be. I also swapped back to 48p pinion and spur since I had them already. (also much quieter and smoother)

IMHO The ROC 2300 kv is just perfect for this rig. It is much smoother at extreme low speeds and much more controllable and the top end. The speed with 15/84 gears and 3s lipo's is slightly faster than a stock RTR with the Axial 27t motor on 2s lipo's but with LOADS more torque!!! I can eassily swith to a 16 or 17 spur for more speed but I don't think it is necessary.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Dude, you have my dream scx10!
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #107
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
Dude, you have my dream scx10!
X2! This is a very nice build!
dc6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #108
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys^^^lol. Honestly though, my friends budget build is just as fun to drive.......almost....
Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

Have you tried your pit bulls yet? If so how do you like them! Nice truck.
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

I might have missed it but, what kind of wheels do you have?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #111
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79SCX10 View Post
Have you tried your pit bulls yet? If so how do you like them! Nice truck.
Yes. The tires rock! Awesome grip in all terrains. I do have a couple complaints though. First, they are too soft for sharp lava rocks and coral. I tore one and popped a bead on another during a run out on some really jagged rocks. I wouldn't want to crawl at that spot again though, it was way too rough and not very fun.
Second, the foams they come with suck. After only using these twice I took one wheel/tire apart to fix the tear. The inner foam was shriveled and disinherited itself. See pics.

That thing in the middle is the inner foam

Now I understand That the compound is soft for a reason and it makes the tire excel where other harder compounds don't. Just know that they do have there limits when the rocks get really jagged.

The foams however just suck hands down IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79SCX10 View Post
I might have missed it but, what kind of wheels do you have?
Motoworks 1.9 10 hole LE's: 1.9 10 Hole LE in Black, Silver, or Combo's

Last edited by cox308; 04-19-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
Yes. The tires rock! Awesome grip in all terrains. I do have a couple complaints though. First, they are too soft for sharp lava rocks and coral. I tore one and popped a bead on another during a run out on some really jagged rocks. I wouldn't want to crawl at that spot again though, it was way too rough and not very fun.
Second, the foams they come with suck. After only using these twice I took one wheel/tire apart to fix the tear. The inner foam was shriveled and disinherited itself. See pics.

That thing in the middle is the inner foam

Now I understand That the compound is soft for a reason and it makes the tire excel where other harder compounds don't. Just know that they do have there limits when the rocks get really jagged.

The foams however just suck hands down IMO.

Motoworks 1.9 10 hole LE's: 1.9 10 Hole LE in Black, Silver, or Combo's
Thanks for answering my questions. It help a lot.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #113

nice build!
bigman009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #114
Rock Crawler

Damn boss! U put the hurt on those tires and they not even worn-in. Hahahaha. I've had tons of tears before, but never ripped them at the lugs. The stock foam may be allowing them to fold up and pinch against the rocks. Good recipe for a tear. Try the CI Lil Nova's. One of the best mods that I ever did to my rig. I've only suffered pin holes and small tears after a few Makapu'u runs, a couple Lanai Lookout runs, a couple Aiea Loop runs and MANY weekly runs up here in Oregon over the last 2yrs.

Your rig is definitely sick though. Pro4 insanity!
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you went down by baby maks. Stay away from the beach & coral. Bumbai you learn. haha!!

Ues some IC2000 & patch that sucka up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
Try the CI Lil Nova's.
Preach on brutha!
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #116
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the advise guys! CI lil nova's ordered and tire patched! Aloha

P.S. I tore the tire out on the west side Kaena Pt. Right under Makua Cave on the ocean side. The rocks there are like razors! Even busted open my axle housing!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
Thanks for the advise guys! CI lil nova's ordered and tire patched! Aloha

P.S. I tore the tire out on the west side Kaena Pt. Right under Makua Cave on the ocean side. The rocks there are like razors! Even busted open my axle housing!
That sucks, now you have more work.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #118
Pebble Pounder

I found this thread earlier today and was very interested toward the beginning on ideas for my own Honcho, but you've very quickly out paced me in parts .. your rig no longer resembles anything i could even dream of in the near (years) future. This does not mean, however, that I am not impressed with your rig. I will keep watching this thread, just to see what more you could possibly do to this thing. . .

With your axle torn up like that, why not get a set of the machined aluminum ones? I wont give specific examples, I am sure you know them more than I do, but there's a set of some beautiful axles on Ebay for less than $200, although currently all the ones I can find ($70 - 80 each) say that they are for 2.2.. I don't know what the difference is, to be honest, unless it's the hex .. but with a beautiful build like yours, a set of all aluminum machined axles would really look 'at home' I think. Just my $.02..

DC

Edit:

Oh, and I will definitely be taking your ideas on lowering the body (flipping the back mounts) as well as using pieces of the bump stops (bot not completely removing them, yet) to cushion the body a little bit.. I might also cut up my rock sliders, I think the stock looks stupid . . . I need to grab some zipties and wire looms and stuff and will move my electronics similar to what you've done, as I want to get my battery lower than the stock place ...

I will be starting a thread, soon, to keep track of all the stock specs of the Honcho. I gleened a few from this thread but would love to have you peak at it and add any more that I missed, once I have the thread started.. I think it would be helpful, especially to newbs like me . . .

DC, again ...

Last edited by DieCastoms; 04-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.
DieCastoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #119

jesus christ, you really do drive on razor blades. i can't imagine my truck being as scraped/torn up as yours is...
AdamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Hey, I got a new set of built metal head axles just sitting that would look great under there. Call me.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawaiian Honcho build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Nada Local boy. Hawaiian Hawaiian kailuaboy Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 12 12-17-2006 08:04 PM