Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Wrangler G6 Mmm the possibilities

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SCX10 G6 now a Jeep Comanche Trail Rig

I've been checking out the G6 kit on RPP for sometime now. Then just after Xmas I saw the price had dropped and I just pulled the trigger. It showed up late Saturday and I spent some time over the last few days getting her rolling.

This is my first kit I've built in a very long time. My first thoughts upon opening the box were how wide the body is. Then I noticed the stock foams and how they are 1/2" smaller than the tires.

I started building the axles like the directions says then skipped to the chassis. Then to the links, shocks and body. I skipped the tranny for now since I have one already built to go in it. My plan is to build it stock, weigh it, then install my Hand Bros CMS kit, aluminum housing'd built axles from my KOH Jeep build and make her a much more comp worthy rig.

New hop ups planned are SSD-RC wheels, BFG Krawler T/As, a rear bumper, SSD-RC front bumper(if I don't build one), definitely some home brew sliders(I hate these big stupid things), adding a winch and some scale points. The goal is to compete in a my first G6 sometime this summer.

Once she's done or I have something worth a picture I'll post one.

Thoughts on a rear bumper? Whose done what to their G6 jeeps?

Last edited by rckjeep; 11-28-2015 at 10:07 PM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX10 Wrangler G6 Mmm the possibilities

With your skills Dave I'm sure you will figure something out for bumpers and sliders. I went with the Rampage bumper in front and a Rock Armor for the rear and R2J sliders.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The RC Rock Armor rear bumper is awesome, it fits the width of the truck perfectly and is super beefy. The ability to add a rear winch, tow hitch, and lights are just icing on the cake.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Made some progress the last few days.

Can't believe the body tore already. Think I'll build the tranny tonight.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Nice job. Can't wait to see all done up!

Sent from my iPhone6 using Tapatalk
kookie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Moved the rear shock hoops forward on the frame to level out the truck.
Looks like I need some foam body cushions, the spur gear is rubbing the body.
Got tranny assembled and installed. I removed the slipper clutch never been a huge fan of them. I finished assembling the SSD-RC wheels and BFG Krawler T/A tires. Still need better foams and wheel weights but I couldn't wait to see them mounted.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'd vote for the RC Rock Armor bumper(s) as well. I have the G6 rear one, which I like the most, but they have a couple other options as well --

G6 Rear Winch Bumper

SCX10 Rear Bumper with Led Hole

SCX10 Rear Winch Bumper

GodSpeed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Old 01-04-2015, 03:08 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Worked on the G6 a little more tonight. Got all the decals on and made my own CMS kit. I used the stock servo plate reshaped to follow the frame rail. A TLT link mount cut in half for a frame side pan hard mount. Then an axle truss with link and pan hard mount incorporated into it. It needs some tweaking but it's late so another time. What's the trick for keeping the light guards on the light bar lights?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
What's the trick for keeping the light guards on the light bar lights?

The hardest part is getting them to snap in place properly in the first place. I had to use use two pairs of pliers (on opposing sides) to get a few of them on. Once on, they tend to stay put pretty well on their own, but a bit of Shoe Goo or liquid electrical tape on the inside rim of the guards will keep them on without being visible if you're worried.

How about some pix of your home brew CMS?
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I'm liking the blue. My G6 should be here Tuesday if the freezing rain hasn't slowed down shipment.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Any pics of the cms?
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Yes I'm liking the blue also.I just CA glued my lenses & guards on the lights.Lookin' good!
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Here's a few shots of the CMS. The panhard needs to be longer. Plus I can't get all the wheel travel.

I'm thinking I may just take the Hand Bros CMS kit off my in completed buggy. It's for the shorter wheelbase and will fit it perfectly.

I ordered the Howler electronics tray Harley used in his Deadbolt build.

Last edited by rckjeep; 01-04-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default SCX10 Wrangler G6 Mmm the possibilities

That actually looks fairly good. Your suspension travel issue is probably caused by the straight Panhard hitting the top of the pumpkin, which is common with CMS/Panhard kits on the SCX10. It's more due to the large pumpkin than anything else. Making a bent link to replace the straight one should help a lot. Other than that, the only other thing I see is that you'll get some torque on the Panhard bracket on the chassis. With only one screw holding it in, it might move around. That should be relatively easy to fix (esp since you seem to be comfortable working with metal). Otherwise, I think you're very close. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well I pulled the Hand Bros kit off my CJ2a buggy with the same wheelbase as the G6. Unfortunately the front of the G6 is further from the tranny than my buggy. So my caster angle is probably 5-7* which is pretty decent for highway speeds on a solid axle Chevy. The servo needs to move forward roughly 5-6mm which is not possible with this mount. Guess I will be ordering the Vanquish mount. I'd rather push the front axle forward than back.

That was a lot of work for nothing.

Edit: well since I want to push the front axle forward any way I ordered up the Vanquish parts. This way I can put my Hand Bros kit back on the buggy.

Last edited by rckjeep; 01-05-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Anyone with the Vanquish panhard axle mount have issues with the panhard hittin the frame during compression?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
Anyone with the Vanquish panhard axle mount have issues with the panhard hittin the frame during compression?
Yes, the panhard would hit the frame and limit suspension movement on one side then if I mounted it in the lower hole on the axle mount, it would hit the 3-link rod end and limit movement even more. I could never get it set up to the point where the passenger side suspension wasn't extremely restricted so I went back to the axle mounted servo.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #19

Nice build I just bought the same kit for my first crawler. I am a total noob to the crawler side of things. I had to look up what CMS meant..

Anyways would this kit work any better? or do they all have the same issue with suspension movement?
Axial SCX10 Honcho Dingo | Chassis Mounted Servo Kit with Panhard Bar | Scale RC Crawler Truck Parts! [SCX-09 CMSP] - $20.00
Leaderbeanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The old Hand Bros kit worked very well with very little limiting of suspension. Unfortunately I never bought one for the 12.3" WB. I've found that homebrew
CMS setups I've done work well using a turnbuckle with left & right hand threads
To adjust axle center. I usually run a bit of sag in my suspension so ride height is not always with the shocks fully extended. Bending the pan hard to clear the axle and/or frame will most likely help obtain more if not all travel.

LeaderBeanjr, The CMS kit you reference is not one I would buy. The servo placement is poor in my opinion. It limits the use of a servo winch and doesn't look scale at all which really is the whole point of a CMS kit. Hopefully I can make the VP parts work for me.

SCX10 Wrangler G6 Mmm the possibilities - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axail SCX10 Ultimate Wrangler Rubicon JK and Wrangler G6 trailing #24 dracing10 Videos! 10 05-02-2014 10:50 PM
Proline 2 door Wrangler body on SCX10 Wrangler IonicRipper Axial SCX-10 13 01-23-2014 08:27 PM
2016 wrangler possibilities easleycrawler Chit Chat 23 11-09-2013 12:38 PM
Shock Possibilities millrtme General Scale Talk 1 06-08-2010 11:09 PM
oh, the possibilities... microgoat General Crawlers 10 06-23-2005 10:08 PM