Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Wroncho Baja Bug - Wraith, SCX10, Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wroncho Baja Bug - Wraith, SCX10, Yeti

Great day out with the Wroncho Bug today...Snapped a link end but that was an easy fix with spares that I carry with me. I would say if the link was still a Vanquish Titanium link, the threaded end of the Ti link probably would've snapped off...luckily I changed the lower links out to Incision 1/4" stainless steel links. I'm still going to require a bit more weight in the front down low, I'm going to get my friend at Exile RC to machine some brass hub weights to fit into the Gear Head RC wheels.

Everybody likes a slow motion roost.....

Wroncho_Bug_79

Wroncho_Bug_78

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:48 PM.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #122
I wanna be Dave

Not wasting any time, Exile RC machined some brass hub weights for the Gear Head RC wheels....just what the doctor ordered!!!!

Wroncho_Bug_82

Wroncho_Bug_80

Wroncho_Bug_81

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #123
I wanna be Dave

A couple of changes / upgrades for the Wroncho Bug....

I am very impressed with Vanquish's new AR60 Brass Knuckle Weights on my DMG Wraith, so I decided the Wroncho Bug needed a pair on the front axle too. Now that the rotational mass was severely reduced, I reduced it even more by ordering up some new Axial Rockster Black Chrome 2.2 beadlock wheels with some Gear Head RC Delrin beadlock rings. Pitbull XOR tires stuffed with Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 5.5” Comp Cut Inner / Soft Outer foams.

I decided the Wroncho Bug would be the best rig to utilize the 5.5 inch tall XOR tires since the SCX10 skid is used; belly dragging would be minimal with the reduced height of the tires and smaller skid.

I love the aggressive stance with these "steamroller" tires!!!

Wroncho_Bug_90

Wroncho_Bug_89

Wroncho_Bug_88

Wroncho_Bug_83

Wroncho_Bug_86

Wroncho_Bug_87

Wroncho_Bug_85

Wroncho_Bug_84

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Last weekend I attended a 1:1 rock crawling event and was amazed by the performance advantage a buggy with 4 wheel steering had vs. a front steering only buggy. I've always wanted a 4WS RC so I decided my Wroncho Bug was going to be converted to 4WS. As previously mentioned, this rig crawls so amazingly well already, so by adding 4WS, it should be unstoppable on the rocks!

I'm using a Spektrum DX4S radio and it's already fully programmed to make adding 4WS very easy. I did have to swap out the 2 channel rx for a 3 channel for the extra servo.

Although the 4WS conversion is complete, I will be changing out some parts when I receive my next order from RPP.

I used Vanquish (orange anodized) CHubs and knuckles, Vanquish VVD axles, Vanquish Ti steering linkages (for their lighter weight) and an Xpert WR-7701 servo. The front CMS servo is a HiTec 7950TH and I will be replacing the rear Xpert servo with another 7950TH to match the front. I will also be changing the rear CHubs out for black Vanquish clamping CHubs to also match the front. I added beef tubes to the rear Vanquish v1 OCP axle to give the CHubs screws some more meat to bite into.

The CC BEC is plugged into the "Bind" slot on the rx so that both servos are fed 7.4 volts.

I have set the "E" switch on the DX4S radio to manage the 4WS; this is the one closest to the throttle and can be controlled with my thumb. Although the software can provide 4 modes of 4WS, I am only using 3; Front steer only, F/R 4WS steer & Crab steering. I disabled rear steer only because I don't think it will be necessary.

I cannot wait to try this new set-up out on the rocks....it will certainly add a whole new dimension to crawling.

Wroncho_Bug_92

Wroncho_Bug_93

Wroncho_Bug_91

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

I had a chance to take my Wroncho Bug out to my regular testing grounds for a shakedown run with 4WS. It's definitely going to take some time to improve my 4 wheels steering ability. In 4WS mode, I found myself watching the rear wheels and turning them the direction I wanted the fronts to go, but obviously the rears are going the opposite direction....I have to keep my eyes focused on the front wheels for now!

The 4WS is awesome though...it definitely makes life much easier on slow technical climbs; instead of spinning the wheels to get out of situations turning the rear wheels in either 4WS or crab mode gets the rear end situated exactly where I needed the wheels to be in order to gain traction and/or a rock edge to grip.

I love crab crawling up vertical faces when going straight up is not an option.

I have to practice being smoother with the different 4WS modes while driving simultaneously.

As far as improvements needed for the Wroncho Bug, I am going to put medium outer foams in the rear wires to stiffen them up; currently they are stuffed with CI Double Deuce 5.5” Comp Cut Inner / Soft Outer foams. As previously mentioned, putting the 7950TH servo in will provide stronger rear steering because I found the Xpert servo stalling out just a tiny bit.

I have some video clips to put together and I will post soonest.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #126
Rock Crawler

Once you get use to the 4WS it is amazing. I started with supers when the wraith came out i knew i had to add 4WS. It makes the rig so capable.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #127
I wanna be Dave

Here's the video with a blooper at the end!!!

Old 10-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #128
Rock Crawler

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uiObKV5EivE

This should work.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #129

Awesome looking rig!

Where can I get those brass weights for Gear Head wheels?

You think that titanium VP links would have snapped when the Incision links didn't?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Thanxs.

A friend of mine machined the brass wheel weights for the Gear Head wheels....he can be found on FB by the name Exile RC.

My experience with titanium links is that they will snap sooner that stainless steel links. I have snapped probably a half dozen of VP Ti links so far and none of the Incision SS links.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Thanxs.

A friend of mine machined the brass wheel weights for the Gear Head wheels....he can be found on FB by the name Exile RC.

My experience with titanium links is that they will snap sooner that stainless steel links. I have snapped probably a half dozen of VP Ti links so far and none of the Incision SS links.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #132
Rock Crawler

With your radio can you adjust the amount of degrees for your rear steering? I use a 4pl and on my third channel i have it set at 20 or 25 degree with each click. Is your set up just left, right, and straight?
Old 10-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

With the DX4S, I can set the amount of degrees on each individual wheel, plus an overall percentage of steering from 0 to 100% compared to the front wheels (hopefully that makes sense!) I have my rear wheels set to 60% so that they don't turn as sharp as the fronts when in full lock (either left or right).
Old 10-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #134
Rock Crawler

Got it... that's what i thought. It seemed to turn fast when you used it. I have mine set up so that with each click in a direction your rear tires move 25 degrees in that direction. With 4 clicks it is at 100 percent in that direction. A 3 position switch I was wondering if you could set up yours that way. I hope that makes sense. That will make it easier to control.

Last edited by k goodrich; 10-12-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

I think I would prefer proportional rear steering instead of predetermined percentages.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #136
Rock Crawler

I think I want to add 4WS to my new project...thanks bilinvic! Now I need to find a 4 channel radio.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #137
I wanna be Dave

NP Alex.... lol

I've been fine tuning my 4WS Wroncho Bug; I got the VP clamping CHubs on and I ended up using a HH servo for the rear because I was having some issues with the second 7950 servo (it was twitching). I also made the "rear steer only" mode active because after my first test session, I think it would actually come in handy occasionally. It's ready for it's second test session but unfortunately, the weather is going to get pretty crazy for the next few days on the west coast of Canada; lot's of rain and wind.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Took the Wroncho Bug out for a good shakedown run with a bunch of fellow crawlers today.

I must say, the 4WS is awesome and I am far from perfecting the proper use of the different steering modes, but I'm getting there. It's like having an all new crawler again. The extra weight out back hurts a bit, but having the 4WS far "outweighs" the added rear weight and proves to be highly advantageous in many crawling situations.

I was disappointed with the Pitbull XOR tires today, my bug has definitely crawled better with the BFG Krawlers and they will be going back on. The PB XOR tires are too wide for our West Coast crawling terrain IMHO.

I can't wait to get out again with this buggy to work on my 4WS skills!

Wroncho_Bug_95

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #139
Rock Crawler

Default Wroncho Baja Bug - Wraith, SCX10, Yeti

I gotta chime in here... I really dig this build. I'm breaking down my wraith and going in this direction.

Really well done, all the way around. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers!
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

Time for some more Wroncho Bug changes....you know your addicted when aftermarket parts are upgraded with aftermarket parts!!!

Something wasn't right with the rear 7950TH servo, the servo arm was a bit wobbly so I tried numerous arms and they all wobbled. Then I thought the bearings were done, so I opened up the servo and the bearings were determined to be perfect. Upon further investigation I realized the plastic bearing carrier on the "gear plate" was cracked and barely hanging on. It broke off very easily. Luckily HiTec offers a replacement case set (part # 56407) for only $7.79 at RPP. Once I got the new part installed, the wobble was cured and the servo was as good as new. Now the front and rear servos are matching again.

As noted from the first shakedown run, the extra weight of the rear steering components degraded the Wroncho Bug's crawling performance, the forward weight bias was definitely not enough therefore creating some instability on the steep crawls. I decided a rear weight diet was in order! The Vanquish v1 OCP axle housings have seen many miles and it needed Beef Tubes to be inserted in order for the C-Hubs to have some meat to bolt into...but the extra weight was not good for the rear weight bias. I decided to replace the rear VP v1 axle with VP's v2 axle to save some weight. I also replaced the VP bumper mount with an Axial plastic bumper mount along with a new Axial G6 Poison Spyder front bumper for the rear! The fuel cell was eliminated since it was for aesthetics only.

The completely built VP v1 axle w/Beef Tubes (no servo) weighs in at 406g (14.3oz)
The completely built VP v2 axle (no servo) weighs in at 373g (13.15oz)

VP bumper mount with PS bumper - 32g (1.10oz)
Axial bumper mount with PS bumper - 28g (1.0oz)

Total axle/bumper weight loss is 37g (1.30oz) plus the weight of the Axial fuel cell. I know it's not a lot of weight loss, but the weight bias performance should be significantly improved. I look forward to seeing how the Wroncho Bug performs out on the rocks now.

As you can see, the Axial R35 BFG Krawlers are back and the Gear Head RC wheels are set-up with the least amount width. Track width is now 11.75"

Wroncho_Bug_9904

Wroncho_Bug_9903

Wroncho_Bug_9902

Wroncho_Bug_98

Wroncho_Bug_99

Wroncho_Bug_9901

Wroncho_Bug_96

Wroncho_Bug_97

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Wroncho Baja Bug - Wraith, SCX10, Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Baja Bug Build lodger Axial SCX-10 16 09-01-2013 05:36 PM
Scx10 Baja bug Twztid Axial SCX-10 2 02-16-2012 06:15 PM