Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #121

Default Re: Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt

what sise brake line did you use? im using 3/16 and I had to pinch the ends to keep the rod end in place, it doesn't look like you did
rebel_crawler200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

I love what you have done to your Deadbolt

I would like to share what I did to mine to raise the bumpers. I have seen so many guys trim the fenders for tire clearance I just couldn't do it. I raised the body to clear the tires....but then it looked like a stupid body lift

One of the guys I crawl with gave me the idea to stack another bumper mount on top and run a 3mm bolt all the way through. Why didn't I think of that?

I needed more clearence so I cut the tabs off the bumper mount and mounted it back farther into the frame

Now I never liked to pick up my rig by the bumper with the plastic mounts. I do from time to time, but the plastic does flex. I am really happy with the results. The front is tucked in and high. It is very rare the I hit it on anything, that is the biggest plus

dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

How sturdy are the rpm sliders? I usually carry my scx10 by the sliders.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #124
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_crawler200 View Post
what sise brake line did you use? im using 3/16 and I had to pinch the ends to keep the rod end in place, it doesn't look like you did
I used 1/4" line with 8-32 threaded rod on my links. They fit together pretty well, not tight but snug enough, especially once the ends are on.

@dirtman71: Nice way to raise the bumper. I don't care for the extreme cut bodies either. Luckily the chassis I am running raises front bumpers for better clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
How sturdy are the rpm sliders? I usually carry my scx10 by the sliders.
Much sturdier than the stockers, not as strong as metal ones. But I can easily carry my Deadbolt by the RPM sliders.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

Thank you for the information. I'll be getting some.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #126
RCC Addict

I think you will be happy with them. For under $20 they really are a good deal imo.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #127
RCC Addict

It has been almost a month since any kind of update. Life has been a bit hectic but I am back with some new shoes on the Deadbolt!

I got myself a set of the JConcepts Scorpios 1.9s and a set of Fake-quish wheels for them.

I love the way the tread on these tires look. It is soft and when it compresses the tread blocks do not collapse onto one another.
The side wall feels a bit soft but guess will have to wait and see if that is a problem or not. I am running the stock oversized
foams in these.

To improve the looks a bit, and to protect the axle threads, I modified the stock Axial wheel nut cover.

First I chopped off the lip around the bottom of the cover.

Then to round it out I used an old Rustler stub mounted in a drill. Put the cap on it, then using a rough piece of sand
paper wrapped around a pair of needle noses to round it out.

I love the way these tires look on this truck. They give it a mean and menacing look.

Also on the rear I mounted one of the Trepadors on a silver Axial bead lock.

These tires are a bit larger than the Treps at 4.72". They have a nice bead and mounted up nicely and easily. If you want to
see more on them you can go to my YouTube channel by following the link in my sig.

Next up is going to be a power upgrade. It will step a bit away from the "cheap" theme but it is time.

Thanks for looking.
-Prime-
Old 03-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #128
RCC Addict

They look great on the truck and I'm interested in seeing some running vid..
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:12 AM   #129
RCC Addict

Hopefully there will be video soon. If the weather cooperates we plan to hit up a great local trail spot this weekend. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #130
RCC Addict

Well I must now admit something. I have strayed from the "cheap" theme a bit.

The time has come to add more power, so more power has been added.
I decided that for this season I wanted to go brushless. So I ordered up a set of HR metal trans gears and then from Holmes
Hobbies I ordered up a Castle Mamba Micro X with a 2200kv Stubby Puller Pro.

After installing the trans gears I went and installed the esc.
I could not mount the esc in the same spot the AE5 was in due to short sensor wire. So I made a mount on the slider for it.

The Stubby seems happy in it's new home.

I have only gotten to drive it around the living room so far but WOW is all I can say. It can go stupid fast or insanely slow. Has the stock pinion/spur in it as of right now. Running it on 3S with a Castle BEC.

More to come. Gonna add HD gears and spools to the axles.
Thanks for looking,
-Prime-
Old 03-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #131

Curious to see how this combo will do long term, love the whole thread has given me lots of ideas for my Deadbolt!
sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Good choice on the motor and ESC. Any time a Puller Pro is involved, it is worth throwing the budget in the trash.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #133
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
Curious to see how this combo will do long term, love the whole thread has given me lots of ideas for my Deadbolt!
I am glad the tread gave some ideas This build has been the most fun out of any rig I have ever owned.
I am curious to see how well it holds up too. Was a bit worried given how small the esc is, but it seems quite a few people run them and Holmes recommended it so guess time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Good choice on the motor and ESC. Any time a Puller Pro is involved, it is worth throwing the budget in the trash.
That was my justification.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #134
RCC Addict

I am still having fun with this little truck. We have a indoor RC park that just opened up about an hour from my house, so on a cold April morning we loaded up the trucks and headed to the Dead Zone. Here is a little vid of the Cheapbolt on the courses.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #135
ETM
Rock Stacker

I found your build over on the internet and I'm was wondering who the mamba mirco pro is doing is it running hot or would it be fine for a trail rig like yours. Thanks and Nice build I started out with a deadbolt
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:29 AM   #136
Rock Crawler

I have a mamba micro pro and wondered if it was possible to program a drag brake?
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #137
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
I found your build over on the internet and I'm was wondering who the mamba mirco pro is doing is it running hot or would it be fine for a trail rig like yours. Thanks and Nice build I started out with a deadbolt
Thank you for the kind words. The Deadbolt is a great platform to start with.

I am running the Mamba Micro X, it is the big brother to the Pro. I believe the Pro is a sensorless while the X is sensored. I would not use the Pro in a trail rig/crawler due not being sponsored, just would not be smooth when I needed it.

As far as the Micro X I have not had any heat issues with it al all, even on hour plus runs. I run it on a 4000MaH 3S. I have my big test for it coming up in the beginning of May when I hit a local scale-trail team comp that can take up to almost 2hrs to finish the course. It should really put the Mamba Micro X through it's paces. Will report back with pictures and maybe video after the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
I have a mamba micro pro and wondered if it was possible to program a drag brake?
I don't know about with the Pro but I know in the you can adjust drag brake via the Castle Link.

Last edited by Prime; 04-19-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #138

looks fantastic!! where did the "Fake-Quish" wheels come from?? are they those XJJ ones i see on amazon??
clodzilla319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #139
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodzilla319 View Post

looks fantastic!! where did the "Fake-Quish" wheels come from?? are they those XJJ ones i see on amazon??
Thank you. This has been a fun build. Is a real fun truck that hopefully is still far from finished.
Sadly I can't post here where the wheels came from, against the forum policy.

Last edited by Prime; 04-21-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #140
RCC Addict

To handle the extra power of the Homles/MMX combo it is time for some axle upgrades.

Adding some Axial HD gears and Lockedup/RC spools.

Standard HD gears for the front and under drive HD gears for the rear.

These F1 spools are a thing of beauty.

No pictures of everything going together but will have a video up in the week or two on my YouTube channel of the process.
Everything went together perfectly. Had to lightly sand the end of the axle shafts to get them into the F1 spools but that was to be expected. Everything is coated with a nice thick coating of marine grease to keep everything lubricated and to keep water at bay.
I used the stock Axial axle shafts because I am not sure which CVDs I plan to use. After seeing the LockedUp OTVDs tonight, I think they will be the CVDs I go with. They have a great price and look nice and beefy.

I also went with some slightly thicker hexes. I picked these up a while ago and had forgotten about them till I was digging through some spare parts. Not much thicker than the stockers but just enough to add a couple of millimeters width. It might not make any real world difference but to me it feels like it does and that is what matters.

Well that's it for now. Next up? I am not sure, guess we will just have to wait and see.
Thanks for looking,
-Prime-

-EDIT_ Added the gear install video

Last edited by Prime; 05-20-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Tags
deadbolt, scx10 deadbolt

Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCG deadbolt crawler project 1JEEPNICK1 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 9 02-10-2015 05:18 PM
Deadbolt aka project joker BigCountry11 Axial SCX-10 2 11-25-2014 11:48 AM
I think I'll call it project aggression... Blue buggy Axial Wraith 6 05-08-2014 02:40 PM
The i'm not sure what to call it project. motoxkfx 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 08-30-2013 07:58 AM
Start of my project bluto 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 04-02-2008 08:59 PM