Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Can SCX10 get similar steering throw to SCX10II?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Can SCX10 get similar steering throw to SCX10II?

I've been pondering upgrading a mildly modded V1 SCX10 to the AR44 axles but it's not cheap once you factor all the bits.

I wonder, apart from a little extra ground clearance and scale looks, if it's worth the hassle for a bit extra steering especially if the OG could be simply modified with some affordable aftermarket knuckles/c hubs and use the standard diff housing.

I haven't had too many reliability issues with the OG at least since it was modded (it's got an SSD billet 2 speed, MIP, 550 Titan/HW 1080 electrics, waterproof Savox etc).

After a couple of hard years, it's time to replace the front axle housing/c hubs etc so I need to make some decisions.

Any thoughts would be helpful!
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Can SCX10 get similar steering throw to SCX10II?

Portal axles are more ground clearance than stock axles. Or simply buy this https://www.boomracingrc.com/boom-ra...ont-rear--3011

Cheers
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I don`t know if you have already CVDs, but how about some D60 axles and a pro steering conversion kit, if you are into SSD parts:
D60 Axle Case for SCX10
Pro Steering Conversion Kit for SCX10 (Black)

I like the ~45° steering and king pin inclination on my 10-2s AR44 more than the benefit of the smaler pumpkin, so that`s what I would do if I had a SCX10 V1 at hand.
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

XR10 steering mod
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
I don`t know if you have already CVDs, but how about some D60 axles and a pro steering conversion kit.
I was thinking the exact same thing as Stoll here. SSD has you covered! The D60 housing is way more scale looking, and pretty cheap, and accepts all the stock axial guts. The D60 housing and the Pro Steering kit can be had for less than $100. SSD makes some plug n play brass tube inserts for the D60 too for strength and weight down low.

Another option, if you want to move your truck along with the times, and not that much pricier, is SSD's complete Pro44 front axle set. I think it's around $120 - A steal if you ask me, with all the upgraded components included - beefy molded Nylon housing, metal tubes, hardened steel gears and locker, aluminum CH's and K's.
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ssd00281.htm

If you did this you'd probably have to pick up their complete rear axle too, just cuz, and for a measly $65.
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ssd00263.htm

A small investment (<$200 is small in this hobby, right?) for tons of longevity and performance.

One substantial caveat, if you went the AR44/Pro44 route, is you'll have to replace your suspension (and steering) links, as the dimensions are indeed different between the 10.1 and the 10.2.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
XR10 steering mod
Yeah the whole reason for the XR Mod (if memory serves me correctly) is to get more steering throw.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just keep in mind, if you choose to take the D60 route, you have to replace both axles, because "In these axles the ring gear is installed on the opposite side to the stock axle. Therefore they will need to be installed on the front and rear."
Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm trying to keep it reasonable else I may as well go buy a SCX10II outright.

The Boom Racing axle is serious value. I've read they are solid but have never bought anything from them. I'm definitely pondering this. The SCX10 has an SSD 2 speed in it so I know how well engineered their gear is but it'll defeat the concept of keeping it affordable.

It's my 8 year olds truck and even with a Titan 21T, a 25T main gear, 3S and a crazed trigger finger, he just hasn't destroyed the front end like I expected him too. It's probably bounced down rocky hills and wiped out hundreds of times. I can't believe it's still going strong so throwing a stock axle/c hubs etc back in it is tempting but some better steering would be great for when I drive it.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:49 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm trying to keep it reasonable else I may as well go buy a SCX10II outright.

The Boom Racing axle is serious value. I've read they are solid but have never bought anything from them. I'm definitely pondering this. The SCX10 has an SSD 2 speed in it so I know how well engineered their gear is but it'll defeat the concept of keeping it affordable.

It's my 8 year olds truck and even with a Titan 21T, a 25T main gear, 3S and a crazed trigger finger, he just hasn't destroyed the front end like I expected him too. It's probably bounced down rocky hills and wiped out hundreds of times. I can't believe it's still going strong so throwing a stock axle/c hubs etc back in it is tempting but some better steering would be great for when I drive it.

For your kid you say? Can only imagine how willing that finger can get.

I would just keep it simple and replace the plastic housings with stock as its easier out on the trail. Throw on some after market Alu c hubs and knuckles and fit some cvd’s for better turning. Cannot get more reliable than that for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:

I get the on the cheap.
Here is what you could do. Cheap aluminum chub and knuckles off ebay for under 20 bucks for both. Ebay cheap cvd's about 12 bucks.

Then you dremel out clearance on the knuckle where it is going to hit the chub retaining screw.

Now take the chub and counter sink the front screw hole. Find one of the counter sink screws that come with the kit, normally they hold down the battery tray.

This will get you pretty close to where you want to be for under 30 bucks.

This isn't the best thing to do but give you want cheap it's a good option.

You'll want to make a new steering link as a straight one will hit the pumpkin and you wont gain anything.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hm, if you are still running stock (dog bones and knuckles), you should probably start with zero ackermann knuckles and CVDs. The zero ackermann knuckles alone would help to improve steering. How about some pics of your rig?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I wonder, apart from a little extra ground clearance and scale looks, if it's worth the hassle
I would say it's NOT worth the hassle.
I have upgraded to scx10.2 one of my scx10s with the SSD kit (top quality) and steering and ground clearance is much better. It's great... but money wise I should have stuck to the original format. The original isn't any less fun now than before.
But of course, the OG must have CVDs and preferably rear underdrive.

A lot of good advice in this thread, though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by tjohanne; 02-20-2019 at 09:00 AM.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

You need this:

And these:

https://www.amazon.com/Axial-Racing-...51541966&psc=1

That should get you zero Ackerman, and 42 degrees of steering angle.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Any upgrade you do to get more steering is going to need CVDs or universals, you max out the stock dog bones way before you run out of steering throw.

Cheap Ebay high steer knuckles will do a ton. A step up from that would be Wraith/XR10 knuckles, hubs and CVDs, you can get the knuckles and hubs in plastic for dirt cheap. If you want to keep it all SCX10 based then Vanquish hubs and knuckles, if you dig around and get lucky you can get these for cheap, I picked up a stage 1 kit for $30 a while back.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
You need this:

And these:

https://www.amazon.com/Axial-Racing-...51541966&psc=1

That should get you zero Ackerman, and 42 degrees of steering angle.
With this pro kit. The knuckles look like they would hit the same spot my regular axial aluminum knuckles hit now. Arm on the knuckle hits screw holding c-hub. Am I missing something? Are they different from the high clearance knuckles that SSD sells? I've been looking into high clearance knuckles for the dingo. This kit would be right up my alley as long as I'm not gonna end up with the same results I have now. I plan on getting cvds and knuckles. Just haven't found exactly what I'm after yet. Just know I'm over the crappy steering angles I'm getting now. For $45 I could have the high clearance knuckles and titanium steering links. For $70 I could get the kit. Don't really need the c-hubs. And the $ I save just buying the knuckles and links would give me almost enough $ to get the cvds. Any help is much appreciated!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Alu Knuckles, cvd’s and the appropriate screw on the chub to allow the knuckles to move the way they should. Simple, reliable and cheap. Links can be made with some traxxas rod ends, threaded rod and alu tubing for peanuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Not to muddy the waters too much but one more option might be to overdrive the front axle, you wont get more angle but you should get improved steering and its just one part to buy.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
With this pro kit. The knuckles look like they would hit the same spot my regular axial aluminum knuckles hit now. Arm on the knuckle hits screw holding c-hub. Am I missing something? Are they different from the high clearance knuckles that SSD sells? I've been looking into high clearance knuckles for the dingo. This kit would be right up my alley as long as I'm not gonna end up with the same results I have now. I plan on getting cvds and knuckles. Just haven't found exactly what I'm after yet. Just know I'm over the crappy steering angles I'm getting now. For $45 I could have the high clearance knuckles and titanium steering links. For $70 I could get the kit. Don't really need the c-hubs. And the $ I save just buying the knuckles and links would give me almost enough $ to get the cvds. Any help is much appreciated!
Check out the link and look at the screw SSD is using to secure the C-hub the the axle tube. It is a headless pin with threads towards the end similar to what Axial uses to secure their driveshafts to the output shafts on the transmission and the input shafts to the rear ends. That is key to letting the knuckle make its full travel.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to try Ace hardware and see if they carry m3 x 5mm set screws. I have everything to make new links if need be. Once I get a few bucks I'm gonna grab some cvds and a underdrive gear for the rear. I don't want to do od/ud only because I might run some trails here and there. From what I understand it's better and easier to ud the rear. That should give pretty much the same results correct?
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I run Ud/Od on my scx10 based rigs on long trail runs, no problems. also have run just Ud, and just Od. I prefer Od only if I was to choose one. Ud is prefered by many because it lowers the gear ratio(higher numerically but more turns of the tires per mile) rather than raising the gear ratio.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Can SCX10 get similar steering throw to SCX10II? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xr steering, but no throw? 0260b4u007 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 32 02-26-2013 12:19 PM
Need Help with steering throw! 99xjlove Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 15 09-28-2012 11:02 PM
Steering throw????? WKcrawler17 HPI Wheely King 13 06-30-2009 01:24 AM
more steering throw TSK Electronics 5 01-16-2009 08:11 PM
Not getting enough steering throw.. Hordsak Electronics 4 03-08-2008 08:33 PM