Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Bud

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
And that's one of the reasons I hate warming them in water. The water can drip if you miss any and the label disintegrates.
Tamiya has a wonderful plastic shrink wrap when new. works quite well in water.
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Yessir PS 8 backed with white.
Blame the lights on Josh’s.......
I always buy two cans..... One if done neatly should be more than enough backed with white. I used Spaz Solid White Backer SZX00209.....
Really makes fluorescents pop

Hang up and Drive
Y'know, one thing I forgot to ask is if you can see any of your white backer paint when the vehicle in up in the air? I ask because on several of the outdoor trails I run, I drive the truck higher than I'm standing and I look at the truck from the bottom up. Usually, I prefer to see a black under body and chassis.

So here's what I'm wondering: What happens if you paint the body color, then the white backer, and then use black backer over the white? Will using the black over the white make the body color appear darker than without it?
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:00 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Default Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
Y'know, one thing I forgot to ask is if you can see any of your white backer paint when the vehicle in up in the air? I ask because on several of the outdoor trails I run, I drive the truck higher than I'm standing and I look at the truck from the bottom up. Usually, I prefer to see a black under body and chassis.

So here's what I'm wondering: What happens if you paint the body color, then the white backer, and then use black backer over the white? Will using the black over the white make the body color appear darker than without it?

It might..... silver is a blocking color, if the white backer is thin , it could darken. Usually it will mottle, a few darker areas. Ive found that the “backer” white is more solid than the bright white a couple of even coats works for me. Remember paint on these is reflecting the light from outside.
Also inner fenders block that view

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post

Quote:
It might..... silver is a blocking color, if the white backer is thin , it could darken. Usually it will mottle, a few darker areas. Ive found that the “backer” white is more solid than the bright white a couple of even coats works for me. Remember paint on these is reflecting the light from outside.

Hang up and Drive
Just to add, I backed my .3 in white and was worried it would be too noticeable, especially the inside of the cabin through the windows. It does somewhat, but it's not glaring with the window tints on. From underneath it's not noticeable at all, except for a small strip right in front of the rear bumper and the front 1/4 of the hood. Since I was anticipating the latter I did reshoot the exterior blue over the white on that part.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #85
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Hang up and Drive
Ah yes, the inner fenders. I’m glad you pointed that out. Wasn’t sure how much area they would cover. I know my TRX fenders block nearly everything out too, so I’m glad Axial’s work just as well. Plus, that’s one less coat of paint to put on.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Just to add, I backed my .3 in white and was worried it would be too noticeable, especially the inside of the cabin through the windows. It does somewhat, but it's not glaring with the window tints on. From underneath it's not noticeable at all, except for a small strip right in front of the rear bumper and the front 1/4 of the hood. Since I was anticipating the latter I did reshoot the exterior blue over the white on that part.
I was wondering about what it’d be like on the inside too as I’m sure I’ll be driving my .3 before I wrap up the interior job. That’s good to know that the window tints do their job .

I’ll probably copy your painting of the strips by the bumper and hood too now as a precaution—thanks for the heads-up.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Speaking on inner fenders, Axial was nice enough to provide openings for rock lights, so I grabbed a set from Club5 racing , made for a MOG, made a box and cover to hold them, and printed off a set. LEDs drop down onto a ledge, some E6000 will hold all together easily. Yeah red housings, the PETG was in the printer already A quick spray will solve that issue.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Upgrade today as I’m waiting for My Trick RC halos , installed some beef.... portal covers that is. I’ve got the Beefs up front SSD in the rear. Quick drive on my tree roots, Between the 70 wt oil and these portal weights this truck is planted. I’m really enjoying 23%OD, and never a click. I noticed a bit more growl up front, those OD gears are all business.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Serious lighting!

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quick test, OH YEAH!!

Halos, headlights, brake and taillights.
Not shown are the rock lights. Runs off 2 or 3s direct to balance plug or adapter to battery. Not cheap, but well made and versatile. This Covid is getting to my PayPal....

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Test print of the new fender lips, from Knight Customs.
I say test as I failed three time’s trying.
Then I enabled supports and printed great, I’m gonna set a different infill and then will print all four in Carbon PETG . Great files!

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Default Bud

Printed up some of Harleys Halo mounts, painted them silver. Installed and tested.... they look pretty good.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 04-26-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #93

Quote:
Tamiya has a wonderful plastic shrink wrap when new. works quite well in water.
I put the can in the water after taking off the shrink wrap not thinking. It makes a nice mess of the label!

The halos look awesome. I was tempted to do this, but wiring up bodies with LEDs can lead to a PITA cluster. When will we get wireless LEDs?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #94
Rock Stacker

Excellent choice in light kit
ICHItheKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Default Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The halos look awesome. I was tempted to do this, but wiring up bodies with LEDs can lead to a PITA cluster. When will we get wireless LEDs?
Thanks, this kit was awesome, easy to tuck things away, also come with great fasteners. Pictures show it done, I’m making an XT60 power adapter, to clean up a bit more.
One pin cable connector between chassis and body, two extra for rock lights. And it’s switched from the truck ( if you’ve got a channel) or wired switch. Wireless trailer lights are available for scale semis

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 04-27-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Default Bud

Had a brief tree run by the creek. Water is down, so lots of test rocks.
After I got over the pretty lights, I ran this rig. These tires aren’t bad at all, foams not even , and a bit soft out back. Sure Hope Eddie gets some foam, I’m hurting for my CI !!! The front and rear portal covers seem to plant things much better, as much as the foams allow. All that OD is great, no issues turning or driving on the trail, does have a nice deep growl, with the PullerPro. Side note I did enjoy the lights, even brakes for me, a first on RC, worked perfectly on channel4

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 04-28-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #97
Go Buckeyes!

Sweet looking light kit! I love the look with the halo's! I'll have to get a set of those for my JLU!

I'm curious to see how the fender flares turnout. I saw that Knight Customs is offering them to print and was thinking about buying the file.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Sweet looking light kit! I love the look with the halo's! I'll have to get a set of those for my JLU!

I'm curious to see how the fender flares turnout. I saw that Knight Customs is offering them to print and was thinking about buying the file.

I did buy the file, well worth 8.00, I’m still using up this spool of red filament.... it seems endless, but the carbon will disappear it will go so fast.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Well Silly me. Went to CI direct, my foams will be here direct on Monday Eddie delivers again!!

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

By chance what foams did you get?
1beatjeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Bud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tf2 bud naked Sqbiedoo RC4WD Trail Finder 2 4 05-27-2013 11:37 AM
bud rims 1st look SEMIJOE Non Crawler RC's 4 11-10-2010 03:05 PM
Bud #8 Slash TIMZKRAWLER Non Crawler RC's 14 08-12-2008 04:01 PM