Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: T-Money's Wraith: Ultra4 HILUX!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: T-Money's Wraith

It's been a while. Over the last few months I've chalked up 2 more 1st's in Ultra4. I have made some tweaks and changes to the rig since then.

Wheels whipped me up an aluminum roof with speed holes. I also made the switch to R35 Ripsaws for extra grip. Mounted them up on a set of CAC wheels for a more scale look and a better hold on the bead. I added splitter bars to prevent the roof from caving in on Willy in a rollover. I've had some issues stripping out Racers Edge servo horns so I picked up one of the HD Axial ones. I've also bent a few steering arms on the knuckle, so I doubled them up and they have been holding up great. Also made the switch to aluminum C-hubs I tried the STRC ones first but they where very sloppy and loose fitting so I picked up a set from Axial and they had a much better fit. I also switched up the shock covers, the screen ones where cool but after hundreds of people pushing on them the screen finally let go. Wheels made me a set to match the roof he made for me.

Here are some more recent pics.

A few extra pics of the rig after the ShamROCK Showdown Ultra4 race

NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #82
RCC Addict

About time you update this lame ass thread!!!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Wasn't able to get out crawling this weekend, but was able to get a couple things mounted up on the Wraith. Have to thank Wheels for some of the goodies (and for lighting a fire under my a$$ to get some of this done)

Ever since I first saw the EXO I've planned on using the scale radiator in my Wraith. Last week Wheels (Kyle) and I mashed around a couple ideas on how to mount it. Wheels, in typical fashion, a day later had a Light Bar/radiator mount whipped up. Last night I painted up the radiator added a little bit of weathering and mounted it up. Still need to get more light buckets to mount in the light bar but here is how it looks.

(You can see the custom one he made for his rig in his thread)
Eight01RCC/rcd • Login
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Dang that light bar is sick! Never even thought of that, would be simple and make it look more realistic. Radiator is a nice touch as well, I've been wanting to get my hands on a few of those. I assume there's a parts tree that comes with them? Or is that the one from your exo kit?
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Last weekend I started working on some batteries. Started by adding some extra wire to the battery terminals so the power could potentially go somewhere.
Next will be to add a battery strap, can't go wheeling with your batteries bouncing around. Then we'll add a bit of weathering so they don't look so toyish

More pics soon but for now.....

Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Dang that light bar is sick! Never even thought of that, would be simple and make it look more realistic. Radiator is a nice touch as well, I've been wanting to get my hands on a few of those. I assume there's a parts tree that comes with them? Or is that the one from your exo kit?
Yes it is out of an EXO (not my EXO though)
Radiator is Axial# AX80103
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Got the batteries finished up and installed

Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Quick Update.

801rcc's Ultra4 race is this weekend and my rig should be ready. I did purchase a couple of new goodies this week but I don't plan on installing them till after this weekends race. I also plan on starting a new body next week as well. As some of you know, I'm a Toyota guy, so I plan on doing the Toyota Hilux body similar to COCO's wraith.

I'll post some pics after I make a little progress next week.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #89
RCC Addict

What a GHEY update!!!

Im excited for the race!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Up! View Post
What a GHEY update!!!

Im excited for the race!!!
The masses want to know COCO

Could be worse, I could post up some cool scale item only to trash them and take them off the very next time out.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
The masses want to know COCO

Could be worse, I could post up some cool scale item only to trash them and take them off the very next time out.

Oh.... That was cold....

I told you, it was the testing phase, needs some more love
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Got a couple spy pics of Mike's wraith when he wasnt looking

wonder where he got such a good idea?!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #93
Gold Star Baby!

Just when you think you know a guy.... He starts bittin on other dudes styles hahahaha..... I'm joooooking.... I'm Jooooooking

EDIT:I really dig the Yota body BTW turned out nice

Last edited by redrokin00XJ; 05-09-2012 at 05:14 PM.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #94

Where is that shop at? Do they stock a lot of crawler parts?
DerekM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #95
RCC Addict

WVH (West Valley Hobbies) is in Taylorsville right off of redwood road, on the north side of Harmons. They are the BEST hobby shop in Utah IMO, and always have crawler stuff on hand
Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #96
Gold Star Baby!

X2
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #97
RCC Addict

As many of you know (and can see in the pics CoCo posted above) my Wraith has been under the knife for the last couple weeks. After being inspired be Pardonmynood (on "scalebuildersguild.com") and CoCo's Wraith's I decided to take a crack at the Hilux body. On to the build

First up narrowing the front of the wraith. Took just under an inch out of the front clip. Then we lowered the front about 5/8" so the front clip follows the body lines better.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Once the front end was tweaked to fit the look I was going for we started mounting up the front fenders and doors. I kept the doors and fenders together while I mounted them, this way the body lines would line up. Next up was heating the the front fenders to fit the pinched front end. After the front fenders and doors where in place and mounted I then separated the doors from the fenders. Once the fenders were in place I had to cut the hood to fit and chop the doors. Also threw in a pic of the front so you can see how much the front clip was lowered.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 05-10-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

that thing is sooooo sweet!! looks like its been a lot of fun to build! and race for that matter
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Now the tough part, the bed.
After holding up the bed sides and lining up the body lines, I had to first cut the bed side to match the length of the Wraith. I took about 1/2" in front of the wheel well and about an 1" off the rear. Once the bed sides were cut to length I mounted them up. After checking out the side profile and debating with myself about how to proceed, I decided that I wanted the top of the bed as close to the rear side tubes on the Wraith chassis as possible. As it was, the top of the bed sides were about 1/4" or 3/8" above the tube. I then cut the bed rail off the bed sides and cut a 1/4" off the top of the bed sides. Then reattached the bed rail.
Next I cut the tail gate to match the bed sides and narrowed it to fit as tight as possible to the chassis. Then I pulled in the lower ends of the bed sides to fit the tailgate. Then I just plastic welded the corners of the bed back together. It gives it a little more of a buggy look and fits the style of the front end.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 05-11-2012 at 06:10 PM.