Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Beginners Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #661
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wraith Beginners Guide

Great thread Harley. You helped me decide that my next rig is a wraith, not another scx10!
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #662
RCC Addict

Great write up. I am looking at getting a wrath so this is just what I need to read.
Ballistic17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #663

Thanks for all the info Harley ! Big help
Bronco39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #664

Thanks to Harley and all others out there. you guys have helped me quite a bit on my wraith.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #665
RCC Addict

I need a little help here please.

I'm trying to find the Heavy Duty lockout shaft for the Wraith. It looks like the stock one Axial Dig Lockout Shaft [AXI30437] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies but, it's solid metal. It's not the one piece Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Locker Gear Wraith (RRP1555) | RC Car & Truck - RC Planet .Any help would be awesome.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #666
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
I need a little help here please.

I'm trying to find the Heavy Duty lockout shaft for the Wraith. It looks like the stock one Axial Dig Lockout Shaft [AXI30437] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies but, it's solid metal. It's not the one piece Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Locker Gear Wraith (RRP1555) | RC Car & Truck - RC Planet .Any help would be awesome.
There is no HD version of that. There are extended output shafts made by other vendors for use with standard style transmissions though.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #667
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
There is no HD version of that. There are extended output shafts made by other vendors for use with standard style transmissions though.
Ok, That must be what I had then. I had one a while back I got in a trade but, I sold it. Do you know who makes it? or are the Axial ones strong enough?

EDIT: found them! Thanks

http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/in...mart&Itemid=80

Last edited by Creepy Inc.; 12-10-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #668

Anyone have a picture of the battery being mounted under the hood.
19_mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #669
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Wheels and Tires

Stock Wheels and Tires:

The stock wheels that come with the Wraith are a plastic non-beadlock design. The wheel face is designed after one of the Raceline fullsize wheel company’s designs. They come vented to allow air to flow out for a less bouncy ride. The tires that are Axial’s Ripsaw tires however they are NOT the R35 compound that you can buy in stores. They are a harder compound that does not offer the same level of traction. The tires are glued to the stock wheels.

Here is a tip on removing the stock tires from the stock wheels. Be careful and do this at the risk of your wife/mom/roommates being pissed at the slight odor of smoking rubber. The tires and wheels all come out perfectly fine after this process.
  • Place 2 tires on cookie sheet covered with tinfoil.
  • Preheat oven to 325
  • Bake tires for 30 minutes.
  • Remove tires from oven, leave on cookie sheet.
  • With oven mitts or protection of some sort, break the tires off the bead on the side facing up.
  • Flip the tires over and place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and finish removing the tires from the wheels.
EASY! Please be careful! I had some water in my tires and the steam that was coming out could have been pretty dangerous.

Upgrading Wheels:

Rock crawling and bashing both put a lot of stress on stock plastic wheels. The heavier your rig gets the worse it will be as well. I personally suggest upgrading to some aluminum wheels. Aluminum wheels will have a much stronger hex area, this will keep you from “spinning” the hex area due to excessive torque. Another key feature is beadlocks. These allow you to change tires without using glue and more securely hold the beads of your tires.

I have used wheels from most manufacturers but, like many others will say, I have never found a wheel as nice as the offerings from Vanquish. For the Wraith, I would suggest any of the SLW or SSZ wheels, in 1” width. A 350 hub will get you a nearly stock track width SLW’s. With SSZ’s you need to slightly grind the end of the stub axle to fit the wheels with these 350 hubs, or you can step up to 475 hubs which is what I personally run.

Upgrading Tires:

Compound is key. The stock tires just aren’t “sticky” like we want on the rocks and trails. When looking for tires you want to look at these features and specs:
  • Height – a shorter tire will effectively lower your gearing and top speed if you don’t adjust your gearing elsewhere. I suggest staying with a tire that is 5.5” tall for the wheelbase on the Wraith.
  • Tread – An aggressive lug pattern will work well in most terrains, such as rock and dirt/mud. The tread depth comes into play as well, there is trade off for too deep or too shallow.
  • Compound – You want a tire that is soft enough to conform to the terrain but not so soft that it rolls under the truck when trying to turn or sidehill. A lot of this comes down to foams as well.
  • Foams – See if the foams included with the tires are getting good reviews. If they aren’t you may be forced to spend another $20-40 on foams which may not be what many people want to do.
I personally prefer the Axial R35 Ripsaws. These tires do well on the trail and on the rocks, a great tire for most terrains. Another popular choice is the Proline TSL Swampers. Do some looking around and see what you like, tires are a big part of both the aesthetics AND the performance of your rig so chose carefully!
What's the benefit of running the 475 hubs?
Took a screenshot of my shopping Cart BC I wasn't sure of the quantity you got power order... Unit of issue or whatever its called lol
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by joshjunior; 12-10-2012 at 08:08 PM.
joshjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #670
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I do not recommend purchasing anything from CKRC.
why don't you recommend them?Slow shipping?Crappy service or what?
Trentenowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #671
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentenowns View Post
why don't you recommend them?Slow shipping?Crappy service or what?
Yes.

Just do a search for CKRC on here. You'll find many many threads talking about horror stories. No other company on here has a worse rep.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #672
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes.

Just do a search for CKRC on here. You'll find many many threads talking about horror stories. No other company on here has a worse rep.
I saw alot too, but they had a wraith trans for a good price and I took a chance, talked to them on the ph (Jason) and he got it out the same day and I had it the next day. Guess I'm one of the lucky storys. Jason did have good PR.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjunior View Post

What's the benefit of running the 475 hubs?
Took a screenshot of my shopping Cart BC I wasn't sure of the quantity you got power order... Unit of issue or whatever its called lol
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
You are good to go with those quantities. The benefit of 475 hubs is that you have a wider track
nefas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #674
Pebble Pounder

I'll be ordering those and I'm debating on the link kit too lol

sent using a string and an empty beer can
joshjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #675

Quote:
No smoking the servo is not the problem. When you run a 3s LiPo it cuts down the ability of the internal BEC to supply enough power to run the servo. Again, with a 3s pack a BEC is required.

Just because a guy has a bunch of videos doesn't mean he is a reliable source for information. Just like a high post count doesn't mean anything, I'm full of shit most of the time
what about with a mmp, do u still have to run a bec? am running 3s with stock servo?
illest1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #676
Pebble Pounder

I am looking to pick up 27T brushed motor like so many suggested, wanting to run 3s lipo.

Out of these two motors will this less expensive one hold up for a while?

holmes hobbies - torque master sport Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushed :: TorqueMaster Sport 540

Or is it better to just go with this one

holmes hobbies- torque master pro Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushed :: TorqueMaster Pro 540

Or am I off completely and should go another route completely?
budhatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #677
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by budhatrain View Post
I am looking to pick up 27T brushed motor like so many suggested, wanting to run 3s lipo.

Out of these two motors will this less expensive one hold up for a while?

holmes hobbies - torque master sport Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushed :: TorqueMaster Sport 540

Or is it better to just go with this one

holmes hobbies- torque master pro Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushed :: TorqueMaster Pro 540

Or am I off completely and should go another route completely?

You are on the right track, and the Sport motor will work just fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #678

Newbie here,

I've had my wraith kit for a couple of months now lovin' every minute of it but I've done some drastic changes to the transmission to make it go faster hence the name rock racer. I installed a Traxxas Titan 12T 550 motor with the xl5 esc but having issues with the motor getting hot and shutting down after some serious hard run time, got any suggestions? I've found a 32p upgrade for speed its got a 54T spur gear and a14T pinon will that do? What about changing the gear ratios in the axles themselves/
Speedwraither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #679
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwraither View Post
Newbie here,

I've had my wraith kit for a couple of months now lovin' every minute of it but I've done some drastic changes to the transmission to make it go faster hence the name rock racer. I installed a Traxxas Titan 12T 550 motor with the xl5 esc but having issues with the motor getting hot and shutting down after some serious hard run time, got any suggestions? I've found a 32p upgrade for speed its got a 54T spur gear and a14T pinon will that do? What about changing the gear ratios in the axles themselves/
You need to gear lower. You can't maintain the speed and keep that motor cool, it's just not the right combo for the Wraith. The motor and ESC thread has info on gearing on the first page.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #680

Quote:
You need to gear lower. You can't maintain the speed and keep that motor cool, it's just not the right combo for the Wraith. The motor and ESC thread has info on gearing on the first page.
Ok I'll look into it. Should I think about going brush less for speed then? I've heard a lot a of good things about the tekin brush less motors also axial makes a brush less system for the exo terra buggy I thought about dropping in it? Just a thought I have read this entire beginners guide and it has provided much useful information for any and all ideas I've got for my wraith
Speedwraither is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide.html
Posted By For Type Date
need help with the torque twist on the wraith - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums This thread Refback 02-14-2013 09:16 PM
looking to buy a crawler. whats good? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-16-2011 10:09 AM
RCCrawler.se • Visa trÃ¥d - Striiiker, Axial Wraith This thread Refback 12-08-2011 01:24 PM
RR Wraith By Rock (Star) - Pagina 2 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 12-03-2011 02:46 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 11-27-2011 03:27 PM
Nuovo Axial Wraith!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Pagina 70 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 11-22-2011 12:07 AM
KS Wraith This thread Refback 10-28-2011 05:21 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-27-2011 12:24 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Lançamento: Axial Wraith KIT This thread Refback 10-17-2011 05:52 PM
RC crawler guys - thinking about getting into the hobby - Page 4 - YotaTech Forums This thread Refback 10-15-2011 12:06 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-07-2011 08:40 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - Axial Wraith: Experiencias, comentarios y preparaciones. This thread Refback 10-04-2011 05:04 PM

Wraith Beginners Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR-10 beginners problems mcmalta Electronics 10 11-29-2011 11:04 AM
beginners build firefighter1211 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 11-19-2010 09:44 PM
Beginners build mhuffman_81 EnRoute Berg 13 07-17-2009 05:42 PM
crawler for beginners farm__boy Newbie General 12 02-15-2009 02:07 PM
Beginners guide increasing your rigs sidewalling ability rockwerks General Crawlers 15 05-09-2007 06:26 PM