Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #201
Rock Crawler

i like to use my mmp esc with a new reedy motor what trun 13.5
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #202
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThing View Post
Thx Harley, I will go the 13T CM & read up on HH

Good call.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #203
Quarry Creeper

Default MMP/Pro4 issues

Having a few issues, and figured I might lean on the knowledge of those in this thread...

This evening I got my pro4/mmp combo wired up. Upon testing it (after calibrating it to my radio) I ran into a problem...

If I ease into the throttle it slowly and steadily begins to move, and then it jumps forward like it gets a surge from the battery. About the equivalent amount to an 1/8th increase in throttle input. It only happens from a complete stop. I can get on the throttle and back down to a craw and it is fine? I ran in sensored only and smart sense. It did the same thing in both modes.

Last try was sensored only, 0* timing, 4* CHEAT at 8000-9200 rpm. Start power is high, straight throttle curve, punch control disabled, 100% power forward and reverse, 70% drag, auto lipo (I run 3s lipo's)...

Any ideas?
rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #204
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
Having a few issues, and figured I might lean on the knowledge of those in this thread...

This evening I got my pro4/mmp combo wired up. Upon testing it (after calibrating it to my radio) I ran into a problem...

If I ease into the throttle it slowly and steadily begins to move, and then it jumps forward like it gets a surge from the battery. About the equivalent amount to an 1/8th increase in throttle input. It only happens from a complete stop. I can get on the throttle and back down to a craw and it is fine? I ran in sensored only and smart sense. It did the same thing in both modes.

Last try was sensored only, 0* timing, 4* CHEAT at 8000-9200 rpm. Start power is high, straight throttle curve, punch control disabled, 100% power forward and reverse, 70% drag, auto lipo (I run 3s lipo's)...

Any ideas?

Make sure your sensor wire is plugged in all the way.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #205
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
Make sure your sensor wire is plugged in all the way.
I will check it again, but that is the first thing I looked at when it did it... it won't hurt to unplug and replug it back in one more time though...
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #206

try recalibrating the esc to the transmitter. The same thing happened to me and this seemed to solve the problem.
restohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #207
RCC Addict

I run my timing @ 10*(Normal) and 14 on the cheat. Start power is High aswell.. These guys kinda already touched on the sensor being plugged in which it does kinda sound like. Maybe try another sensor wire if you have one lying around.. What's your gearing ?
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #208
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
I run my timing @ 10*(Normal) and 14 on the cheat. Start power is High as well.. These guys kinda already touched on the sensor being plugged in which it does kinda sound like. Maybe try another sensor wire if you have one lying around.. What's your gearing ?
32p 15/60 on the transmission. Also have under drive gears front and rear that gear it down a touch as well. When i get home tonight I will re-plug the sensor wire to see if that does it. If not I may try a new sensor wire like you stated... I will also try your timing set-up to see how I like it. This pro4 runs like butter (beside the low speed hick-up I am getting at the moment) .
Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #209
Quarry Creeper

New senor wire solved the problem... Thanks for the help
Old 12-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #210

If one decided to go w/ the Axial AE-2 ESC and the Axial 20T motor, what would be an appropriate gearing choice to go with to keep from letting the "Magic Smoke" out? All would be stock at this point, not sure what the batt choice would be at this point. I currently have a couple 7.2 3000mah nimh batts, but would entertain the idea of some lipo's in the near future.
jbeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #211
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeale View Post
If one decided to go w/ the Axial AE-2 ESC and the Axial 20T motor, what would be an appropriate gearing choice to go with to keep from letting the "Magic Smoke" out? All would be stock at this point, not sure what the batt choice would be at this point. I currently have a couple 7.2 3000mah nimh batts, but would entertain the idea of some lipo's in the near future.
Lower the better in terms of keeping the motor alive. 87-84 spur and 14-16 pinion.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #212

I ended up going with a 21.5 Xceleron for $55 delivered and 80 amp Sensored ESC $40

If it smokes, not probs, I will see how the RC functions with this set up then look at the Tekin
TheThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #213
20K Club

Quote:
I ended up going with a 21.5 Xceleron for $55 delivered and 80 amp Sensored ESC $40

If it smokes, not probs, I will see how the RC functions with this set up then look at the Tekin
It's worth a shot. The only thing with the cheaper ESC's is sometime the drag brake is weak or non-existent.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Still stand behind my 30T Brood Apocalypse. Perfecto
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
It's worth a shot. The only thing with the cheaper ESC's is sometime the drag brake is weak or non-existent.
Drag brake I can do without for time being, I think I have a feel for what I will be doing so drag might not be missed too much

I have bought all my basic upgrades thx to you guys
32 P gear sets, Tranny gears, Steering arms, even got some shock towers cheap

Old 12-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #216
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

Quote:

I went the Tekin 17.5T and MMP 87/18 , awesome speed and roosting , crawling is pretty good too . Not 55T brushed good but no cogging issues. After getting the 17.5T I couldnt imagine what a 13.5T would be like , I spend enough time on the roof as it is.
Where abouts in OZ are you?
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #217

In VIC
Yeah I have invested about $580 so far on the whole deal, and I am going to invest more after seeing the potential of the Wraith
I have a 1/5 Baja electric too, I was going to buy a Mamba kit, but as its already working flawlessly, thought I would try a newer kit, aka Wraith
Managed to get the Robinson Tran gears, some aluminum shock towers, heaps of 32 pinions and spurs, aluminum steering pins etc etc
The whole Kit in the way I have got it together is a little more than a RTR here in Oz
No brainer really, and I got confirmation that my Wraith has been shipped
21 T Xceliron I have been told will be fine for this app as its sensored
If either can or esc is not up to the job, I will go a Tekin kit
Looking forward to it and many thx to peps on here for the assistance
Oh have you seen the track drive mods available yet?
Looks bloody good!!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #218
Rock Crawler

Yep loving the wraiths ( I've got 2 ! ) my first is with the Tekin setup and now with the wet season about to start up here I went for a brushed setup . I originally wanted something a bit faster than what I got but for crawling its way better than the Tekin . I got a Holmes Hobbies BRXL waterproof and a torquemaster expert 35T . I got these thru amain for like a couple of bucks postage , to get the same esc and the lower turn motor from holmes was about $40 postage . That saving was enough to get some more Junfac driveshafts. I have STRC knuckles and chubs on both , 3racing steering link on my HH rig and , better than the Hot racing one on my Tekin rig. Traxxas ends on 4mm allthread and brakeline for lower links , upper links are still holding up ok , original lowers lasted 1 good session . And Stainless steel bolt kits in both .These are a money pit , I have about $900 in each but they are my fave rc at the moment , a go anywhere vehicle.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #219
Quarry Creeper

Ben lurking for a few weeks, have learned a lot from you guys, much appreciated !

I haven't settled 100% but I'm leaning towards a Viper sensored 10.5/3100kv. M.M.P. with ext/BEC running 2s 50C Gens Ace packs.

If by some chance the Viper motor does'nt suit my power hungry expectations then I'll prob get a Pro4 3300kv.
BONDONUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #220

Quick q guys, since I have posted more in here than anywhere lese, not to get OT, BUT the G-Transition Shock Red 90mm for Gmade Crawler Clod

is this going to fit the Wraith?

Ordered some thinking they were all the same?

Cheers