Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Harley's $50 Poison Spyder Wraith Budget Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #661
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Harley's $50 Poison Spyder Wraith Budget Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang View Post
I agree 3300 is way fast. I have an 1800kv right now and she will rip on 8" rok loks. This is after jumping from a 1200kv. Same torque, just more wheelspeed. Specs say its 33% faster than a 1200....and it feels like it. Runs through batteries about 20% faster. I would run the 1800 on 3s for sure though.
Is the 1200 as least as fast as the stock motor?
ChronicCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #662
Rock Crawler

I want a tekin ROK also. Very interested in this opinion.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #663
Quarry Creeper

Nah a brushed 20t is like around 2500-3000kv. A 1200kv is like 45-55t. I wouldnt recommend a 1200kv for anything with 2.2 sized tires. You want 2300kv+. (assuming you run 2,3 cell). If you run the 1800, youll want 4s.

Last edited by 67mustang; 06-10-2014 at 07:27 PM.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #664
Quarry Creeper

I like my 1200kv on 3s in my wraith, I come home when I'm bored not when I break something.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #665
I wanna be Dave

From researching into brushed turn specs the actual kv is all over the place.
Unless the manufacture states kv on they're brushed motors Wichita a lot don't. They leave it to us to judge the seat of our pants feeling to decide what turn brushed motor to buy.

Kv needs to be the printed spec that all motors real a round. Also can't forget how many watts. With kv and watts we know how fast and how powerful

I run 2 100 on 2 - 6s I'd agree on 22 it's slow on 3 so it still slow but picking up. On 4 so she's starting to move, s5 she's really coming alive and on 6s she's a beast on the sand and will fling sand rooster tails for miles

Last edited by evan03; 06-11-2014 at 06:20 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #666
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
I like my 1200kv on 3s in my wraith, I come home when I'm bored not when I break something.
I agree. Wheelspeed leads to breakage. Only recently have I stepped up to an 1800. I love the extra wheelspeed and I feel like the wraith drivetrain can take the extra rpms. I dont feel like it will break. This is a 1800kv 9/66 gearing with 40 series rok loks. Point is, dont limit your wheelspeed so much that it keeps you from conquering climbs for the sake of reliability.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #667
Rock Crawler

I know this is an old build, but trying to sort out exactly what length the shocks were from SuperShafty as well as what springs you were using?

Thanks for any help you can offer Harley.

Wes
WesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #668
RCC Addict

Great thread but in my opinion I would like to see a "Budget" build avoid using VP. This is high end kit most struggle to afford. I like to see what can be built from other parties products. I believe a Wraith can be made durable for a hell of a lot less.

Lots of great info though thanks.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #669
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Great thread but in my opinion I would like to see a "Budget" build avoid using VP. This is high end kit most struggle to afford. I like to see what can be built from other parties products. I believe a Wraith can be made durable for a hell of a lot less.

It isn't meant to be a 'budget' or 'cheap' build in common terms as such, but instead a set 'budget' for a set time period, be it per month or per week in this case.
Sp3cia1-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #670
RCC Addict

Fair point. I guess the title can be misconstrued.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #671
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTX View Post
I know this is an old build, but trying to sort out exactly what length the shocks were from SuperShafty as well as what springs you were using?

Thanks for any help you can offer Harley.

Wes
I believe they were just standard 4" for the most part.

Quote:

VP parts were used because they offered an advantage in their design. Using cheap parts that don't offer any advantage over a stock plastic part other than the material is not always the right choice.

Some cheaper parts are fine to use, such as why I went with Axial universals instead of VVD's at the time. Now the price has dropped on the VVD's and they may have been an option.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #672
Pebble Pounder

Harley what is the advantage of the vanquish vvds over the axial universals? Is it just strengh ? A friend told me after I had purchased the vvds that the universals have more steering.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Wizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #673
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardman View Post
Harley what is the advantage of the vanquish vvds over the axial universals? Is it just strengh ? I was told after I purchased the vvds from a friend that the universals have more steering .

I do believe you can technically get more steering out of the universals. The updated VVD's do have more beef to the drivecup now and are priced very nicely. The universals hold up really well but I usually have to swap them out midseason after I either wear them out or break an ear off. I still think the universals are a great choice, but the new VVD's are definitely worth a look now with the new price.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #674
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I do believe you can technically get more steering out of the universals. The updated VVD's do have more beef to the drivecup now and are priced very nicely. The universals hold up really well but I usually have to swap them out midseason after I either wear them out or break an ear off. I still think the universals are a great choice, but the new VVD's are definitely worth a look now with the new price.

Alright man thanks for the reply. I guess I may just keep the vvds for backup till I break the universals. As the universals are still doing fine at this point.

Wizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #675
Rock Crawler

Have no idea why I haven't watched a long time ago!

Do you run pan hard set up at all?

Last edited by jwall046; 11-06-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #676
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall046 View Post
Have no idea why I haven't watched a long time ago!

Do you run pan hard set up at all?
I did on previous builds but never got around to it on this build. The servo on axle setup is great for performance. The panhard setup is for looks to help hide the servo. Properly setup, you'll notice almost no difference in performance.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #677
Rock Crawler

Great vids!

Anywhere we could see how to properly set up a pan hard?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #678
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall046 View Post
Great vids!

Anywhere we could see how to properly set up a pan hard?
I believe there is a thread around here from awhile back where I'm sure I chimed in .
Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #679
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
VP parts were used because they offered an advantage in their design. Using cheap parts that don't offer any advantage over a stock plastic part other than the material is not always the right choice.

Some cheaper parts are fine to use, such as why I went with Axial universals instead of VVD's at the time. Now the price has dropped on the VVD's and they may have been an option.
That's fair enough. For the budget orientated though I still think VP Titanium links etc are overkill. You can make your own and use that budget elsewhere. VP axles/knuckles/C-Hubs also seem to be for the bling. There are cheaper alternatives that cost less and do offer advantage over stock.

But I understand at the end of the day it's each to their own and people will buy what they want. On my First Wraith I fell for the VP bling and this time round will spend the money more wisely so as my budget goes further.

Still great work on all your trucks and I am a fan!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #680
20K Club

Quote:
That's fair enough. For the budget orientated though I still think VP Titanium links etc are overkill. You can make your own and use that budget elsewhere. VP axles/knuckles/C-Hubs also seem to be for the bling. There are cheaper alternatives that cost less and do offer advantage over stock.
The examples you gave are probably the most worthwhile upgrades to list! Ti links are one of the best options, titanium is a fantastic material for links as it slides well and is very rigid. When I make my own links I typically use stainless which is a good material but not as tough as Ti. Most links available use smaller 3mm threads which are too weak for big power trucks. Pulling threads out of 3mm links is a pretty easy task.

VP knuckles offer high steer options which is not something you find on most other options. As well as the ability to use many of the aftermarket parts such as the RcBro knuckle weights like I used. Again, these are one of the best choices to make.

The Currie axles, those are mainly cosmetic over some of the other options, but that is not something that I used initially on the build either.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/450136-harleys-%2450-poison-spyder-wraith-budget-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
just bought wraith rtr, now what upgrades? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum This thread Refback 08-05-2013 12:19 PM

Harley's $50 Poison Spyder Wraith Budget Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikka's Poison Spyder Wraith Build Nikka Axial Wraith 69 07-02-2016 01:55 PM
Jeep Poison spyder wraith allanon1965 Axial Wraith 33 08-14-2013 11:19 PM
Poison Spyder Wreckluse Build Guam_RC 1.9 Scale Rigs 39 02-26-2013 08:35 AM
Billet's poison spyder wraith Billet Axial Wraith 6 10-06-2011 10:35 PM