Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Member - Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: New Member - Wraith Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavigna View Post
New shocks just arrived. They look great in person.

I know these may not perform as well as the Proline's, but I think they should look nice on this rig.

**Update** After taking these RC4WD KING shocks out of the package, I am disappointed. The finish is not great, and the stroke of the shock is terrible. It feels like pulling a rusty nail through a hole in some tin metal. There is just a bit of oil inside for lubrication, but it looks more like black sludge. I am almost scared to fill them with oil, because I am betting they leak like a faucet. Has anyone else had this experience with RC4WD shocks? I know their stuff is typically looks over function, but this is too far.
From the pictures RC4WD scale shocks always look attractive to me. Always wanted to buy these for my SCX10 II scale build, even I know they are low in quality. If you already fill the oil in and tested, Please don’t forget to updates us here
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lavigna's Wraith Build

Gmade Zero would look good with all that silver bling
Mine don't leak a drop and that's 6 months in now..
Tremendous build by the way.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

Still disappointed with the KING shocks, although I did get them to operate a little smoother. I do not think I will put them on this build though.

After doing the tummy tuck, I made 2 runner boards out of CF, to strengthen the altered section of the chassis. The outer 2 holes on each side are ready to accept the screws coming from the top of the interior. I am now working on making that fit the new layout. I am doing what I can to remover minimal material from the interior.

I added the RC4WD steering link for some scale points, lol.
Attached Images

Lavigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #64
RCC Addict

RC4WD steering link added another 10 point here. Thank you for all these beautiful pictures, I really enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #65
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
RC4WD steering link added another 10 point here. Thank you for all these beautiful pictures, I really enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks so much!

2 progress shots of making the interior fit after the tummy tuck. These show all the material that needs to be removed. I still need to trim the underside of the passenger seat, and I plan to cover the holes I made with scrap lexan as best I can. I was happy to find the driver side did not need any trimming.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

Because of the tummy tuck, I needed to make higher rear shock mounts. I also added two cross braces, to strengthen the area.

I created a small cover from lexan to cover the exposed motor. The silver is not a perfect match. I plan on adding some more decals, and scale items to help hide it further, but I think it does a decent job of covering the hole I had to cut.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #67
Rock Stacker

Another change of plans. I decided I wanted to use a Bomber skid, so the trailing arms run more parallel. The modification I did previous worked well, but it always bugged me that the TA's were not parallel.

I decided to carefully cut out the Bomber skid, and use the 2 existing holes, and drill the other 2. I wanted to keep the transmission mount as low in the skid as possible, which is why I did not use a DMG type brace. The new placement has several benefits over what I had before. It places the transmission farther forward, and puts the spur gear dead center. This allows for better COG, as well as more space for the interior.

It also gives me more work, as now I am going to order a new lexan interior kit, because wit the new placement of the transmission, I don't think I will need to make any cuts in the interior. It will also force me to make my interior more custom, which is something I wanted to do anyways.

I added the CF brace on the underside of the skid to add some strength.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lavigna; 01-19-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Just WOW!
I saw the thread, and thought "he's a Noob, let's see his take on this incredible Rig..."
Well..... I'm absolutely Blown Away!!! You've definitely shown some real innovation and experimentation with suspension and Chassis. Your attention Scale is cool too!!
I'm about start mine...(it's still in the Mail...GRRRR!), and am looking for ideas. This looks like a good thread to start!

This was probably covered, but who makes those really Scale looking Driveshafts?? They're AWESOME!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #69
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
Just WOW!
I saw the thread, and thought "he's a Noob, let's see his take on this incredible Rig..."
Well..... I'm absolutely Blown Away!!! You've definitely shown some real innovation and experimentation with suspension and Chassis. Your attention Scale is cool too!!
I'm about start mine...(it's still in the Mail...GRRRR!), and am looking for ideas. This looks like a good thread to start!

This was probably covered, but who makes those really Scale looking Driveshafts?? They're AWESOME!
Thanks so much. I'm sure you will have a great build once you get started. I have changed my mind and direction on this build so many times. Crawlers never seem to be "done." There is always more to add or changes to make.

I am excited I was able to make the Bomber skid work as well as it did. The position of the TA's had been bothering me. I hope to see a build thread on your Wraith soon.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:45 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks so much. I'm sure you will have a great build once you get started. I have changed my mind and direction on this build so many times. Crawlers never seem to be "done." There is always more to add or changes to make.

I am excited I was able to make the Bomber skid work as well as it did. The position of the TA's had been bothering me. I hope to see a build thread on your Wraith soon.
I do believe that you will be seeing my build thread soon!! Thank you.
I really like the way you made the Bomber Skid work too. Your thread is already giving me ideas - and I don't even expect to get the kit until next week! I'm still Blown Away by somebody's pure generosity. I was beginning to think it didn't exist anymore....

Harley had mentioned to me earlier, that the RC4WD King Shocks looked great, but performed crappy.... I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way. The Pro-Line Powerstroke Shocks seem to be the most recommended, for top performance.

And you're absolutely correct - our Rigs are NEVER done!!
Since my kit already comes with some cool upgrades (IKON Aluminum Shocks, Aluminum Links - except STEERING, and G6 all metal Transmission Gears), I'm trying to figure out what is going to be my first mods - besides of course, stronger Steering Links!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #71
Rock Stacker

PoorManRC - I forgot to mention my scale center drives are from Boom Racing. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
PoorManRC - I forgot to mention my scale center drives are from Boom Racing. Thanks again.
REALLY??? Honestly, I didn't give Boom Racing enough credit. The Scale sized Shafts really make a difference!!

On a similar note.... Last night, I started watching videos about REAL Rock Racing and Hill Climb.......
Before that - I honestly thought that the RC Companies were taking a little "license", just to add some Cool Factor .... You know what I saw in those videos??

WRAITHS!!!! Bombers, Yetis, Twin Hammers, and a few others, scaled UP!! Some of the Custom Cage work was insane. Cool styling in their own right!
The Suspensions - right down to the Silver Axle Link Rods, the Axle Trusses on top, the Draglink, Panhard Rod setup, even the Center Skid Plate and Aluminum Side and Roof Panels - look like they were COPIED from Axial, Vaterra and others!!!!
Even though it's certainly the other way around...

What an education! Also, their Shocks and Suspension travel were even LONGER and far more plush, than 90% of the models I see running!
I would guess, scaled down, would be around 5" to 5-1/2"... Now, most "RC Pros" might tell you that those are ridiculously LONG, and would look Cartoon-ish....

I gotta tell you - most of those "Rock Bouncers" LOOKED like Cartoons - with HUGE 1500hp monster Motors sticking up through the cagework!!!! THAT part, I want to try to recreate in mine.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #73
Rock Stacker

Small update - I have mostly been working on an all new interior, which I hope to finish soon.

I am changing to the longer Yeti trailing arms, and increasing the length of the truck. I had to cut the inside of the rear running boards, for trailing arm clearance. I added small CF pieces for strength, because it removed the corner screw joint.

Very excited I was able to find a set of VP Disc Brake Set. I am not a fan of the orange calipers, but I will be changing that. These do not fit the front scale steering setup, nor the rear VP solid axles, but I will find a way to make it work.

** If anyone has a set of new VP Calipers in Black or Red, and wants to trade for Orange, please let me know. **
Attached Images

Last edited by Lavigna; 02-25-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #74
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
REALLY??? Honestly, I didn't give Boom Racing enough credit. The Scale sized Shafts really make a difference!!
I am actually really disappointed in Boom Racing now. They sent me the incorrect male side drives (much too short) and would not correct their mistake. The drives are barely long enough to go together, and pop out as soon as the suspension articulates. Even in stock configuration, they were too short to be driven. Boom Racing only offered to sell me a new set! Very poor customer service. It makes me never want to do business with them again.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

That's really a shame.... I would think now, with the extra long Trailing Arms and repositioned Gearbox, that you may need a Rear Yeti Driveshaft - or even LONGER!!

I have no idea what the conversation was like between you and Boom Racing. I've rarely ever dealt with RC Companies (except Holmes Hobbies - OUTSTANDING!!!)
I will likely order those Driveshafts from RPP Hobby.... Their Customer Service has always been great. FAST Shipping too!

I'm almost certain that I'm "borrowing" your Rear Trailing Arm setup - but with a shorter Wheelbase. Probably using Twin Hammers TAs....

Also thinking about starting a "Modifications Thread". Hardly anyone saw by Build Thread.

Your Build is INSANE!! Looking forward to seeing the new Interior.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

BTW.......... and I think I'm not the only one who wants to know....
WHAT HEADLIGHT BUCKETS ARE THOSE???? Those look CRAZY, and I'd love to get a pair on my Wraith!
Old 02-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #77
Rock Stacker

^ The headlights are from an Axial set. I forget which one, but they are readily available. They are not meant for the Wraith, but I carved them up to fit.

Interior - Getting close. The purple color looks terrible in the photos. In person, it's much deeper and pleasant. I used the Rogue Elements interior set. Very impressed with the quality. It takes a lot of time and effort put into the kit, but the results are great. I also added (and more to come) many of my own touches.

I could not decide on a color for the interior. The purple choice is risky, but I wanted it to be different. I am going to color the inside ribbed sections of the seats. Should I paint them purple to match, or go another color? Suggestions are very welcome, as I can't make up my mind.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

That’s looks fanfookin’tabulous.

The seat accents with the same purple.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #79
Rock Stacker

Seats installed. I think I will keep them with this simple weathered look for now.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #80

What happened to tis thread? Where is the finished product?
ncmtb is offline   Reply With Quote

New Member - Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Member and my Wraith TreePRO86 Axial Wraith 8 05-06-2015 08:59 PM
New Member, New 1/24 trekker build. BlueTegu Micro Scale Rigs 0 03-21-2014 06:39 AM
New member - First build chugdugdadug Tamiya TLT Crawlers 36 01-10-2013 08:46 PM
New member "tomvaillencourt" seeks input on wraith build tomvaillencourt Axial Wraith 10 10-10-2012 07:32 AM
new member - new txt build gumby240 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 16 09-05-2005 07:26 PM