Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Harvo Monkeying Around with a RockShow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Great driving Harvo, it was good seeing you again. Congrats on a serious placement jump over last year
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
sure is a nice looking rig
what thickness delrin you using for those panels?? I'm thinking I might give delrin panels a try.
.020 from McMaster Carr Give it a try.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Great driving Harvo, it was good seeing you again. Congrats on a serious placement jump over last year
Good to see you too DickyT. Thanks for judging. People just don't understand how demanding that is to do all day and try to drive too. Hope the finger heals up quickly !
Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Shocks:

I put the 3.5" big bores from my old Moonbuggy on this rig, but I didn't change the oil. I think I was using 25 or 30wt. for the Berg. It turns out that this is too slow for the svelte little XR. Pdog was having some success with Proline Power Stokes, so I picked up a set to try.

The fit is nice and they are the perfect length for the Rockshow. I started with mini T firm springs in front but switched to soft springs front and rear, which seemed to be the way to go. Revo balls fit in the shock perfectly, so mounting was easy. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are designed to run body up. If you invert them, you get a big air gap at the beginning of the stroke that I don't like at all.

I weighed the Big Bores and Pro Lines, and they are both exactly a half ounce.

I went ahead and pulled apart the Big Bores to see if lighter oil would make them perform better. Even with 15wt. oil, they were sluggish, so I took out the 3 hole piston and replaced it with a modified 2 hole piston.

I drilled the holes as large as I could without destroyng the piston. In the pic you can see the difference between a drilled hole and undrilled. Once you clean up the little plastic burs, the piston with two larger holes flows better than the 3 hole version.

With 15wt. oil, these things are quick and butter smooth. The Pro Lines are a good option, and will likely end up on my Berg, but the modified Big Bores are sweet.

Last edited by Harvo; 04-25-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Nice work my friend!
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

How are the redrilled pistons working out in the big bores?
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
How are the redrilled pistons working out in the big bores?
They are great. They have always been smooth, but now they are smooth and quick. I'm even considering drilling some of the 3 hole pistons if I can find a really steady way to hold onto them. The holes on the 3 hole piston are closer to the edge.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Wow Harvo I didnt know you placed 16th. Thats great!!! I still have no idea but I thiink I beat Chris only because I finished one course. I just finished my rebuild with a blv4. I'm looking foward to the next comp on the 14th in Soddey Daisy. Your rig looks great and thanks for the info in drilling out the pistons. I've gotta find a way to modify my shock caps without buying a table sander before the 14th.
JimmyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

What rod ends are you running on your lowers?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz240 View Post
Wow Harvo I didnt know you placed 16th. Thats great!!! I still have no idea but I thiink I beat Chris only because I finished one course. I just finished my rebuild with a blv4. I'm looking foward to the next comp on the 14th in Soddey Daisy. Your rig looks great and thanks for the info in drilling out the pistons. I've gotta find a way to modify my shock caps without buying a table sander before the 14th.
Do you have a dremmel? Easy Peasy

Quote:
What rod ends are you running on your lowers?
I'm running Revos in the front and in the front of the rear lowers. Jatos in the rear of the rear lowers. I had to shave about 1/8th" off the Jatos to be comfortably legal.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

The mail arrived

Actually I got the spring cups about a week ago. Very nice indeed. Jeepindoug makes nice stuff!

The big surprise is these batteries. Gens Ace from Hobbypartz. They are 450mah, 25C, 3s, and they can be charged at 5C if needed. I wasn't expecting much from a $5 battery, but I wanted to try the 450 size.

These have plenty of punch. As much as some of my other batteries that have a higher C-Rating. I was worried about run-time, so I ran a course over and over non stop until the truck shut off. It ran for 23 minutes

The wiring is clean and the clear shrink wrap is over the labels, so the velcro I use will not tear them off. They came packaged individually in these little boxes too.

I still like my Krawl Off Road batteries best, but these are definitely my favorite light weight option.

I finally broke down and got some RC4WD gears too...
Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
The mail arrived

Actually I got the spring cups about a week ago. Very nice indeed. Jeepindoug makes nice stuff!

The big surprise is these batteries. Gens Ace from Hobbypartz. They are 450mah, 25C, 3s, and they can be charged at 5C if needed. I wasn't expecting much from a $5 battery, but I wanted to try the 450 size.

These have plenty of punch. As much as some of my other batteries that have a higher C-Rating. I was worried about run-time, so I ran a course over and over non stop until the truck shut off. It ran for 23 minutes

The wiring is clean and the clear shrink wrap is over the labels, so the velcro I use will not tear them off. They came packaged individually in these little boxes too.

I still like my Krawl Off Road batteries best, but these are definitely my favorite light weight option.

I finally broke down and got some RC4WD gears too...

Best decision you ever made on the gears.
Dillpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpickle View Post
Best decision you ever made on the gears.

I guess so ... they went in OK and I'm sure they are very strong, but they are loud.

I know everyone says they get quieter, but my XR was almost silent before the swap .
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

I know what you mean on the noise...it's kinda aggravating to "upgrade" and have to deal with it. They do get a little quieter, but they won't be as quiet as the stock gears.

So I see ya'll are having your comp on Saturday...was that so more of you could make it to our comp on Sunday?
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #95
RCC Addict

I think of it as a hummmmm. It seems to me if your moving, it blends in with the motor noise.
Tydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

It's nice not worrying about gears at all anymore!

The Rockshow SS got me a 3rd at the ETRC comp today. The truck definitely had it in it to win, but the driver let down again. Had a good time though

The gears have gotten quieter, and on average... a course took about 130 mah out of my 450's. Considering their size and that they are an oz. lighter than the 800's, I'm very happy with the new Gens Ace batteries.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

Didn't even notice any noise from your gears today. Going to have to get some of those packs seemed to work good for you, and that was some nice driving today
Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Didn't even notice any noise from your gears today. Going to have to get some of those packs seemed to work good for you, and that was some nice driving today
Thanks Justin. For $5 they seem hard to beat.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

whats the run time on those packs? im thinking of grabbing some 800 mah
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erforce52285 View Post
whats the run time on those packs? im thinking of grabbing some 800 mah

I have the 450 mah and they will charge up to about 475mah. I timed them on a continuous course to see how long, and they last for 20 minutes.

The 800's I have will last for about 25 but they discharge faster. 25c vs. 40c.