Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10"

Also...

You may like the amount of flex you have now, but it may limit your ability to float holes with the truck.
I don't think you will notice any loss by limiting your flex.
My truck will barely flex a soda(beer) can.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19er View Post
What are you guys runnin for belly clearance? Im runnin this setup in New England(Mass) could i possiblly need the extra ground clearance for the type of rock we have out here? Will post pics of the rocks I'm talkin about.
I'm at about 2 5/8" on the high side of the skid. It's a tad lower than most but any breakovers just get an extra blip of the throttle & are usually easy enough.

As far as what you NEED in clearance...that just depends on what ya like. I prefer my rigs a little lower for more overall control. The taller the rig...the more unstable on sidehills & off camber situations.

Like I said above...MOST breakovers are easily doable with a little extra burp of the trigger to get you off of the skid & onto the rear links. Again...it's that happy place ya gotta find for your style of drivin. Some cats like tall rigs with 4" of GC while others like em slow-n-low like the LCC days.

Try a few setups & find what ya like & what works. If you like your rig to be 6lbs with 4" of belly...run her. If ya wanna jump on the skinny train & try the 3-4lb range...do you. These rigs are personal just like the style in which we drive em.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Cool... You guys are awesome.. Its good to know that i have plenty of tech support to help me step my rock crawling game up to its fullest potential.. Its now up to me to take the ball and run with it!!! Thanks for all the help J.D... What are you Chaotic Boyz runnin for springs on them big bores? A part number would be great if anybody has one... I will give them bigbores a shot this weekend on my testing grounds... Thanks again guys for all the help...
D19er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

i now marc is running big bores he can jump in an help you there

im running the scx10 alum shocks with 50 oil all around an minit silvers up front an losi mrc silvers out back . i think that the most of us running this set up are really close on all are setups . maybe a lil diff oils but thats about it
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

other great thing i done was to get the roudy front motor plate an i got my fxr an bec super smashed by chris the battery man
on there an the only thing in them chasis now is the rec . with my setup an delux wheels an at 4 pounds an 13 oz an really like the truck here . i have ran it a lil lighter but it seemed to work better for me here for my driven style
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Run the XR shocks if you are happy with the performance. I cannot get the big bores to work for me with or without the cap mod or any spring combo out there.

I go between the scx plastic and aluminum shocks with 45 wt oil in them. It's all about what works for the rocks you drive on. The worst thing you can do is chase somebody else's setup to try and make it work for you. Take suggestions and tips then adjust them for your style.

Good luck and keep the updates coming.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Losb1117 is the part # I use.

I bought 2 sets and run the pink springs.
But when my truck was heavier, I ran the red springs.
These springs work best with the traxxas 2660 shock.(perfect length)
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

gonna go pick up some springs for those bigbores after work... i will give them a fair shot and will start logging down whats doing what in regards to performance good or bad.. I keep a log for my TC5R... I dont know why i wouldnt have thought of doin the same for my comp rig? Good call... I was H.I.A (Head in ass) thats what i say to someone when they are not paying attention and fudge up at work!!! You guys will definetely help me step up my game with all this valuable info..
Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
other great thing i done was to get the roudy front motor plate an i got my fxr an bec super smashed by chris the battery man
on there an the only thing in them chasis now is the rec . with my setup an delux wheels an at 4 pounds an 13 oz an really like the truck here . i have ran it a lil lighter but it seemed to work better for me here for my driven style

This exactly the weight I am running now. I went down to 4.6lbs and it worked but not aswell as it is at 4.13lbs. For me it just seems to work better.

As for shocks try different ones, weights and springs to find what ya like!!! I like the big bores with pink springs up front and reds in the rear. I do change the rear to pinks now and then just depends.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #30
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

I run the Losi Mini T rear silvers (LOSB1119) out back & the Losi MRC stock silvers (LOSB1447) up front. I ran the same on my last Big Bore setup. The pinks work well too but I just felt more comfortable with these because they're a tad stiffer.

And DEFINITELY take Paystin's advice to heart. A lot of guys try to mirror anothers rig or setup only to be disappointed. Every rig is different & everyone drives em different. That being said...try any & all setups until your rig works best FOR YOU.

BTW Did you use a Sharpie to mark your gates on that rock?

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the input guys.. I'm always lookin for a better setup than what i got...even if my current setup is already dialed in....I guess its just my nature.. i like to tinker... I feel like right now i have my setup dialed in... I am yet to be stumped by a line that someone else can pull and i cant... Last comp i went to took first place, no penalty points at all, and had fastest time overall... That was a local event which to me still leaves me thinkin well... maybe the competition wasnt so fierce or maybe Ive got this thing on point... do you guys know what i mean. ..like it was too easy to take a first place position while everyone else looks like they're struggling... Im not trying to brag about my performance, Im just askin should i still be seeking to squeeze out more performance? Example. . When the Team associated TC3 was popular I was the guy pumping toothpaste into my diffs and letting a drill spool them up for a 8hrs at a time while i was at work!! Try it and i can assure you one of the smoothest ring and pinion diffs ever!! And no it wasnt a Sharpie.. Its a washable red marker that we use to mark utilities..
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Flipped the servo around today.. hopefully this puts less stress on the servo
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

you mite try to space the upper part of the shockout a lil more . i found that useing to of ther balls out of a revo end worked best for me . the truck just seemed better threw the transitions
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

this is the old special but i still use the same spacers
Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

it just moves the shock caps off the chasis an it seemed to work better for me
Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I used these alumimum side offset balls on my front shocks then a 10mm spacer in the rear.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

The allthread showing between the revo ends for the steering link was killing me... had to sleeve it with some stainless
Old 10-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Video of my crawler pulling a difficult line.. This is why i run a little extra articulation, if not this line wouldnt have been as clean if possible at all...
http://static.photobucket.com/player...013_162400.mp4

Last edited by D19er; 10-13-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
I used these alumimum side offset balls on my front shocks then a 10mm spacer in the rear.

What type.of shock stand off mounts are these? Will they work with the scx-10 shocks?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19er View Post
Video of my crawler pulling a difficult line.. This is why i run a little extra articulation, if not this line wouldnt have been as clean if possible at all...
http://static.photobucket.com/player...013_162400.mp4
Video looked real good.. or was it just cause of the rig!?
Just color me a little jealous, that's all.. waiting on mine to arrive.. next week!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote

AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
...Chaotic Switch........ "The Wicked Tuna" Chaotic Crawlers Axial XR10 165 03-29-2013 05:54 PM
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM