Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: CreationFab Ultra-Lightweight XR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CreationFab Ultra-Lightweight XR Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
That looks crazy with the body like that So the shocks don't hit the body at all when flexing? The stance is sick!
Yeah, it totally clears fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
122-123g for that combo seems pretty heavy? My Rovers on my bead locks are 123g each. I would think glue on wheels should be quite a bit less? I know Stubs said when he glued on his Rovers to Dlux wheels that he was 2.5oz lighter than my setup.

You could switch out those uppers for something more lightweight. My 1/8" TI uppers are 8g for the pair. AL tube would net about the same weight.

So, just by switching out motors, lighter wheel setup and upper links, you could lose ballpark 5oz.
Yeah, Im not sure where the weight is. The tires are 83g. That plus the 17g in the tires. Puts me at 100g flat. So there is about 22g worth of foam...?

I may go to TI uppers if I get desperate, but I wasnt diggin the 1/8" ones I had on my last XR

I will eventually grab a set of the 500 pullers from holmes. Dont want to run a lathed can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Were you thinking of me when you painted that lid?
Nope. Thats the way I got the body.

So I took her out for a few packs today at the best spot in these parts(IMO) to run some test lines. I was BLOWN away at what it could do. There are about a dozen spots all us locals run to test rigs. They are good benchmarks for tuning rigs. Some of them are difficult even with a well setup rig. This thing literally walked everything without even flinching!

I have to give my thanks to Jake(Del Monte) for all the help over email with setting this guy up. I have never really known much what I am doing, just kind of tinker on it, and get her to where she is doing OK. At Best in the West, I had many troubles on the high traction. My old XR simply wouldnt handle worth a damn. So after talking to Jake, I got some setup tips, and I think I am sitting real good as is. I also went a little further and put some more holes in the side plates, to run the rear upper links further back on the chassis by about 10-15mm. It seem to really help alot.

Heres a video I took with my phone. The resolution is impressive(1080p). Had to back up and take a second stab since I was driving one handed, and didnt line up proper the first time. But before I took the vid, I just aimed at it, and it walked it no worries. Now the video doesnt really do the climb justice. None of the pics do really. But anyone who has been there, knows how hard this climb can be. I even made it with wet tires with a little throttle. It is probably at least an 80* climb. And thats on some slick Oregon rock...

And I can never seem to figure out the proper HTML code for the embeding.

New XR10 build test climb - YouTube

Heres a pic of that climb also:

This is a tough climb also. There is a tricky double bump that makes your front end wash out all the time. It's difficult even dry. Pointed at it and walked it, multiple times. Even made it with a little effort with wet tires

THIS climb is rough! Its a pretty awesome feature. We usually use the other side. The "Backside" is really hard though. Only a couple people have ever made it.... with much effort. I have only made it 1 other time purely by aiming, and grabbing throttle... and getting lucky. The bottom section you have to bump up, to even get started. With a little bump, I was able to just crawl it no problem

This climb is a fun one. The top kicks out a bit steeper. There is a crack you can see that is at the right point where you catch traction in it, and cant just crawl it. Its the kind of climb you have to launch up it, and then slow down or front dig at the last minute to catch the ledge. It can be difficult to do even dry. There are often a half dozen of us lined up to tackle the climb because its so fun. I was able to consistently line up, and launch up it time and time again. Super stable. Very predictable

This climb can just kill your ego. Getting into it is really hard. And even if youre lucky enough to get up the first part, it is still very difficult to make the rest of the way. I have only made it 1 other time with a little "hand of god" help at the beginning. It denied me many times, but I was able to crawl it from bottom to the top once. Pretty stoaked on that.

NOW... This climb is an interesting one. You have to launch up it with all you have, and catch dig at the top if youre even lucky enough to have enough air. It took a bit of trying on this, but I got lucky, and she launched up, and landed up top with no dig required. I likely would have gotten it easier had I had a bit more zip. 35t on 4S just isnt quick enough for me on this climb

Side hilled really well too. All in all, she was very stable all day. It descended very well, side hilled well, and climbed like a monster. Super stable... VERY excited to give everyone a run for their money tomorrow.

Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

looks great man
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
Dont want to run a lathed can.
Why not?
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #64
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Rig's lookin dope yo. I was digging the play play descriptions of yer climbs too because you're right...the camera NEVER does those features justice.

Are BC's the tire of choice round dem parts? That rock looks VERY slick & I'd think a nice clapped out big lug tire with a wide footprint would work better.

Good luck today man.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Why not?
Because I dont like the power it robs, and the inefficiency. LAthing the cans takes away from magnetic strength, and there are side-effects. Some dont mind it, but It's nothing I want to deal with. I will just spend the money on the cool small Holmes motors. Got a chance to try a buddies truck today who has them, and they're pretty dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Rig's lookin dope yo. I was digging the play play descriptions of yer climbs too because you're right...the camera NEVER does those features justice.

Are BC's the tire of choice round dem parts? That rock looks VERY slick & I'd think a nice clapped out big lug tire with a wide footprint would work better.

Good luck today man.

J.D.

Yeah, Boss claws are the tire to have. Rovers and donas work ok, and you can keep up, but the BC's excel by quite a bit. You have much more traction in these parts with pins

Truck did well today. Our location of choice was a bit rough, and it was a wet day. The rig did exactly what I wanted it to. Aside of a few user errors, I was VERY happy with it. Didnt leave me frustrated like my trucks in the past have where it was doing odd stuff I couldnt explain, or fall off a line I was shooting for.

Last edited by Chris_The_Battery_Man; 04-14-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

What foam did you end up with in the video and pics. I like the support and the wrinkling
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

My shafty made all those same lines on Tuesday night Jason as my witness!

The truck is looking great Chris! I'm glad the two of you are getting along!

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Just my .02, switching from shaved rovers to shaved bc's was good for couple oz. Rovers are lighter. I don't remember exact weights but I think my rovers were around 68 grams a piece.
bikerj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
What foam did you end up with in the video and pics. I like the support and the wrinkling
Front is just a soft single stage. Rears are double deuce closed cell inners with soft outters in the 5.25" flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
My shafty made all those same lines on Tuesday night Jason as my witness!

The truck is looking great Chris! I'm glad the two of you are getting along!

TOM

Thats only because you had some CreationFab love last weekend pahahaha

CreationFab Ultra-Lightweight XR Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE DOC'S RC4WD Scaler Build-off entry...ULTRA 4 ROCK BUG The Doc 2.2 Scale Rigs 257 11-15-2014 12:13 PM
Isyeskeert's AR60 Lightweight Sporty Build isyeskeert Axial AX10 2nd-gen 113 05-16-2013 09:27 PM
CreationFab Berg Build Chris_The_Battery_Man EnRoute Berg 3 02-26-2013 10:59 AM
isyeskert's AR60 kinda-lightweight build! isyeskeert Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 12-22-2012 07:51 AM
My Ultra Budget CC Build PoorBoyCrawler Duratrax Cliff Climber 15 11-19-2009 11:26 AM