Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: An alternative to hd gear mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: An alternative to hd gear mod

Alternative to HD gear mod.... sounds like a fix to me..

Tony I just didn't want misinformed viewers to try the easy way out because it doesn't work.. I tried it... and yes this thread led to a better alternative in the long run if I manufacturer a replacement bushing. All things happen for a reason...at the end of the day the XL community gained a new mod.. the BHB HD bushing...
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #42
I joined the Band!

I've seen guys run bushings in lieu of bearings in the 1/10 scale. While it wont fail in the way a bearing will, They also don't handle speed, and longevity like a bearing does.

Best of luck to ya' guys.. I'm over here fixing a design flaw from SSD on their D60 axle. Thier inner pinion bearing hole.. So loose it just falls right out of a brand new housing.. You can imagine the deflection the gear sees -_-....
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Agreed, to the title its the thing that get you the most and to the bushings, if it were up to me all the YXL bearings should have bushings due to the fact that they are all small for a rig this size if the bearing carriers were bigger, since its not at least a cover to be protected from the elements.

Last edited by tonyfalkon; 07-11-2016 at 10:42 PM.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Thanks for the info
Sounds like you've got a battle on your hands as well... where in the hell is the quantity control in the Rc industry ?
Us lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
I've seen guys run bushings in lieu of bearings in the 1/10 scale. While it wont fail in the way a bearing will, They also don't handle speed, and longevity like a bearing does.

Best of luck to ya' guys.. I'm over here fixing a design flaw from SSD on their D60 axle. Thier inner pinion bearing hole.. So loose it just falls right out of a brand new housing.. You can imagine the deflection the gear sees -_-....
Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #45
I joined the Band!

I've cooked 3 sets of overdrive gears because of this flaw. I've seen many others do it as well, Nobody really knew why.. Then I found my old housing my pinion bearing was looser than a Kardashian.. So I bought a brand new housing, Whaddya know.. Loose from the get, Then binds, torquing the shit out of it. It gets crazy sloppy, Then gives.. Boom $30 gears cooked.. Its sad, The best fix I could come up with was wrapping the pinion bearings in foil. Very very carefully, THen trimming just as carefully.. The bearing are snug now. And ALL deflection is gone.. Bandaid if I ever saw one.

To be fair, the sloppy one got me 3rd in the Top Truck, 2nd in our comp Friday night, And 3rd at the comp up in Lyons on Sunday...

This fixed one otta make it the rest of the year
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Lmao!!! Loser than a Kardashian!! That's some bullshit about the flawed design... how hard is it to check the first one...and each one after?? Dumb...who ever gave the ok on that one should have his ass slapped lol

Congratulations on the event
Old 07-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I got my vp housing today, so I figured I'd try this out before I did BHB mod. I used the supplied 15x24x5 bearing that comes with housing and (2) 15x21x4 bearing and its totally locked up. I don't have a 15x24x4 bearing to check with, but I'd rather just grind the pinion down since it's super easy and free.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #48

Yup you should be able to fully tighten those screws and spin it freely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #49
RCC Addict

This was my point..I tried it as well ... the Vanquish really let's you know that there is a serious issue!! The stock plastic axle allows enough flex to make you think" oho... little stiff but it will break in" all based on hand turning speed...but at 7,000 RPM's the (effect) is amplified 1,500 times more... than BAM it broke in.......-side-out

And people wonder why I hammered on the (Title) of this thread... it's not the (idea) it's the false misdirected..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
I got my vp housing today, so I figured I'd try this out before I did BHB mod. I used the supplied 15x24x5 bearing that comes with housing and (2) 15x21x4 bearing and its totally locked up. I don't have a 15x24x4 bearing to check with, but I'd rather just grind the pinion down since it's super easy and free.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Your Vanquish rolls like butter after the BHB mod huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibby View Post
Yup you should be able to fully tighten those screws and spin it freely.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:16 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I am not talking here about vp housing. I'm talking about the plastic one! You can try with a housing made out of gold, for what I care. And if we are talking about flexibility you will have flex whatever mod you will choose. So you are hammering this thread again just because you like it, not because you have real reason.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #52
RCC Addict

What ?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #53

I don't think the VP housing will "flex". It has no give. Whereas the plastic housing allows some "give" when everything tightened down. (Without BHB mod) This give (flexing of diff cover, bearing seats getting warped, etc) is what made me think that it will work, but my previous images show that the pinion depth is too far in, causing the uneven wear and premature failure.

So when trying this in VP housing, the result is lockup, since there is no give.

Here is a photo after only 15 min 6s bashing in dirt lot, with Brand new VP housing. And photo of HD gears (BHB modded). So inside, it's even warmer, and the plastic would have to be softer and more flexible. (+1 VP!)

Last edited by alibby; 07-14-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

If you ask me, I think you have a problem of some sort. Either a bearing, or maybe even the play between the pinion and ring. I'm always checking the temperature of the rear diff (it can be an indicator of something being wrong) and it has NEVER been more than, let's say, warm!
Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #55

Default An alternative to hd gear mod

My thoughts!! But this is with brand new everything! (Axle, bearings and gears) Took it apart just to check because I was wondering and all is well. It must be the friction between the teeth making the heat. The gears are not tight, they are about as perfect mesh as you can get.

101 sounds hot, but it just felt warm to the touch.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

You may be right. Probalby I'll check mine also with a temp gun. It might be just the "feeling" not the actual temperature. I'll let you know.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Old 07-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Just commenting on the axle temp and nothing else.

1. I hope you had grease on the ring & pinion
2. With the alum diff case and axle temps should be a lot better than with plastic.
3. On my 1/8 scale XXL and Muggy I normally see 90-110deg on my diffs so to me 101 is more than acceptable. I messed up on my Muggy and put in 10k in the center diff and saw 142deg. After inspection I actually think I burned the silicone fluid at least by how it smells. Going to try 100k next as I am bleeding way to much power to the front wheels.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #58
RCC Addict

I was also thinking during the summer the ground gets 100+ degrees on a hot summer day. Another thing that makes me like the wax diff mod... funny I noticed to was more aggressive during winter bashN..makes sense now lol
Old 07-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Just commenting on the axle temp and nothing else.

1. I hope you had grease on the ring & pinion

2. With the alum diff case and axle temps should be a lot better than with plastic.

3. On my 1/8 scale XXL and Muggy I normally see 90-110deg on my diffs so to me 101 is more than acceptable. I messed up on my Muggy and put in 10k in the center diff and saw 142deg. After inspection I actually think I burned the silicone fluid at least by how it smells. Going to try 100k next as I am bleeding way to much power to the front wheels.

Oh that makes sense lol, I put nothing on the gears, I have some CowRC Udder Butter, that should help with friction. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh that makes sense lol, I put nothing on the gears.
I hope you are joking.

Any metal on metal gears need grease (diffs and trans). And inside the diff cup needs diff fluid.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

An alternative to hd gear mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrow xr10 mod axles alternative driftah Axial SCX-10 7 06-03-2015 09:29 PM
Pinion Gear Alternative ??? Big Tex Venom Creeper 5 05-05-2012 03:55 PM
mod 1 pinion gears.......... bob1961 General Crawlers 2 10-14-2010 04:12 PM
pinion mod drizzt Newbie General 0 08-06-2008 12:00 PM