Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: AX-10 coming to an end as we know it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

sorry i am somewhat of a newb, can someone explain a shafty and a moa for me, de-dede.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #22
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmith512 View Post
sorry i am somewhat of a newb, can someone explain a shafty and a moa for me, de-dede.

Shafty = truck with center transmission, 1 motor and drive shafts.
MOA = motor on axle, in the case of a Berg or Clod, on each axle.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketocrawl View Post
Can you explain this please?
With the motors on the axles all of the weight is in the axles, not up in the chassis like a shafty. So with all of the weight so low you can run higher ground clearence and actually still have a lower center of gravity.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

thanks freetimecrawler, our lhs has comps every wed night and we have run scale and 2.2 and i have yet to see any one of the 30 plus drivers bring a moa rig, i thought they would be confined to super class. i have seen the hot racing axles that are moa thought it would be intersting but have no want to get them. what axles are moa that you can run in 2.2?
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

" AX-10 coming to an end as we know it? "

No.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmith512 View Post
thanks freetimecrawler, our lhs has comps every wed night and we have run scale and 2.2 and i have yet to see any one of the 30 plus drivers bring a moa rig, i thought they would be confined to super class. i have seen the hot racing axles that are moa thought it would be intersting but have no want to get them. what axles are moa that you can run in 2.2?
Any and all moa axles are legal for 2.2
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

I totally agree with you. This is my first year in the R/C Crawler world and about my fifteenth year building a crawler to run down to moab every year with the family and friends. Unfortunatly, I live in the middle of BFE Wyoming where there aren't many comps and after just competing in St. George, I think my pocket book is it for the long haul. There aren't many people around where I live to wheel with and learn from but I work/live 100 miles north of my house in Pinedale, WY and I was blessed with meeting a Gentleman who took first in Scaler Nationals last year. He has been doing the Crawler/Scaler comps for about ten years and has taught me alot about building a competitive rig and alot of the tricks of the trade. He told himself never, never would he buy a MOA(BERG). But to be competitive, he bought one and when we go out and crawl the nearest rock slab(almost every night), The berg Whoops the shaftys everytime. I agree everything has it's advantages and disadvantages but come on here!!! I'm talking about things like 1. the electrical current putting power to the nearest motor(in the berg mostly the front). Which in turn makes the front start rotating before the rear- not dig but may as well be. 2. Have you ever noticed how a berg can dig uphill? it is because when it is in front dig, the rear isn't locked up like your shafty digs work, but it is running on the drag brake therefore it is possible to dig up hill. 3. Rear dig and front dig on the same vehicle. If I have to argue this I'm in the wrong forum. 4. If nothing else, There should be a regulation for using two motors to one motor in the same rig. This could bring up wieght arguements.

I don't know how to further back my info up. All I can tell you is what I see. My buddy that I talked about earlier took his plain jane stock Berg down to St. George and missed 3rd place by one point out of 50 people. Don't get me wrong, Lance is a great driver but we have both talked ourselves blue in the face and agree that there is an advantage to MOA over Shaffties.
charga71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #28
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinquattro View Post
Recently I attended a few R/C Rock Crawling competitions with a friend and promptly revived an interest in R/C cars that was absent since the '80's when I got my first RC-10 with the Gold Aluminum Tub Chassis.
right there sums it up, dont take this wrong but you've been gone for quite a Long time, things have changed.

i was away from R/Cs for 3 years and was surprised about what had changed but nothing has discouraged me or made me question why I came back, and I came from Touring Car and Oval into Rock Crawling with a big throttle finger.

Practice with what you have and you'll be kicking those Bergs before you know it. You said you went out and bought a lot of the add ons for it as well , im assuming they were things that either your friend said you needed or they looked flashy and you thought you had to have them to do good. Wrong approach.

One club I run with has a Berg in it, the last comp I went to he had trouble getting up the first gate and had flaws just like the rest of us with shafts did.

Just like any form of racing, depending on who's hands the rig is in determines why it finishes or fails.

I think a lot of drivers around here can understand your frustration and would agree not to let all those Bergs make you think your rig is winless. Like a lot have hinted towards here already, if Bergs were that dominate then you'd see a lot more of them. Their just the new toy on the street and the guys winning with them are a lot that have won with shafts before.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #29
MODERHATER™

Me personally think there is no way the Axial will die, or the shafty as it looks you are implying. They both are acquired tastes. I do prefer the MOA's but there are always places where a shafty will do better, as I witnessed today and many other times. And there are places a MOA will excel. It's all the driver.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Somebody call 911 we need .....
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #31

Evolution doesn't always make things better,What you can do with it makes the differrence!
gator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #32
TEAM RCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Please not this crap again..........
what he said
bcrofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Guys, shafy's can "dig" uphill, it's called freewheel, something a MOA can't do. Shafty's can have f/r dig, I haven't seen it yet but it can be done quite easily...
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

The front and rear dig on a shafty has been done right here in Colorado.It just takes a little work to make it all fit and work properly and he does very well with it.It all comes down to who is driving!!
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #35
RCC Addict

I Say Leave It Alone. There Are Always Going To Be A Few That Cant Leave This Alone . 2.2 Is Evolving Fast With All The New Players In The Crawler Section Of Rc Hobbies And Sometimes You Need To Evolve With The Hobbie . Dont Limit Innovation With A Fear Of Being Beat By It . If Some People Would Have Found It First They Would Be Basking In The Glory. Alot Of Top Drivers Are Going Back To Shaftys Because The Chassis Technology Has Improved And Evolved From Builders Designing For Berg That Work Better For Shaftys. I Know Del Monte And Gatekeeper Are Back To Shaftys So There Must Still Be Something To Shafty. Be Competitive And Have Fun. Even If You Get Beat!!!
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Somebody call 911 we need .....

X10,000
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #37
CBR
Rock Crawler

Somebody show the newbs a picture of a 2.2 moa (clod) from 2004 or 2005, since they think this is a new thing. ? It is pretty easy for me to figure out. Bergs did not make the best drivers, most of the best drivers bought Bergs. I think if you don't like the rules here, start your own organization and make your own rules.
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #38
MODERHATER™

IMO the best drivers are still shafty.

And I mean .
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #39
CBR
Rock Crawler

I agree Patrick, I haven't made the change yet, but I will soon. Not because MOA's have special powers, but just for the simplicity of electro dig, and lower cog.
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I think it's interesting that one of the points brought up was that moa axles are not scale. Lets face it, r/c crawling for competiton is evolving and the true comp crawlers are taking advantage of the unique physics of a 1/10th vehicle. Proportinally the r/c crawlers are far more capable than their 1:1 cousins. Like all other forms of competitive r/c, crawling is evolving into it's own form not merely imitating whats happening in the 1:1 world and I say great!!
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote