Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: AX-10 coming to an end as we know it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post

I will repeat what I said because I know that with enough money and time, I can get a shafty to conquer any terrain that a MOA can tackle.

and so it begins.....
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #82
RCC Addict

still?
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #83
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
You know what that tells manufactures? It tells them to not even bother to try something different and make our COMPETITION rigs better because if you do we will ban them.
you mean like was done in the 1.9 class to the cliff climber?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #84
CBR
Rock Crawler

This is all usless babbling! If you are afraid your shafty is not able to compete with MOA's, get you a MOA. Then what are you gonna b!tch about when you can't win?
I have seen someone with a stock AX-10 do very well in Super class. No dig, no nothing. STOCK! It's called SKILL! And there is not a Vendor on here that sells that! Money can't buy it either!
Less than a year ago, I had never heard of R/C crawling! The first comp I went to, I didn't even know what the tennis balls were for. Within 2 or 3 months of practicing almost every day, running at GTG's, and 1 local SERCRC comp, I placed 14th at the East Coast Championship. That wasn't Newbie luck, and it wasn't money. Cause I did it with plastic knuckles, homemade driveshafts, and other various cheap parts I could piece together. It was knowing exactly how my truck would react in various situations. You got to know your truck! These people that change set-ups every week can never learn how to drive their rigs, it is different everytime they grab the remote. I was going to change over to MOA's next season, but this babbling has made me decide to keep on spanking with my shafty!

That's all I got to say, now I'm going to PRACTICE! (that is the secret place where you might be able to find some skills)
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #85
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
you mean like was done in the 1.9 class to the cliff climber?
No nothing like that, but thanks for trying to stir up shit.

The 2.2 class had a set of rules in place for many years and a new rig was built that fit within those rules. Banning that rig now or making it run in a different class would be a bad thing.

The 1.9 class has an entire new set of rules written from scratch. The duratrax crawler does not fit into the new class for many reasons. Dig, width, wheelbase, tire size, ect. Have you seen a Duratrax crawler and a 1.9 class legal comp rig side by side? They are not even close to the same size.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

I still see a good mix of rigs in the top 5 at all of the comps I attend, maybe its not the rigs but the pool of tallent at your local comps.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Default build a 1.9 class

Do what I and many others are doing. Build a 1.9 class rig. The rules are set up to keep the class competitive. I like this class. It is more my speed and can fall into a limited budget.
What to do with all the leftover 2.2 stuff is another story.
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman1600 View Post
Do what I and many others are doing. Build a 1.9 class rig. The rules are set up to keep the class competitive. I like this class. It is more my speed and can fall into a limited budget.
What to do with all the leftover 2.2 stuff is another story.

I hate to be the one to tell you but the 1.9's will be $800+ rigs as well.....
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #89
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR View Post
This is all usless babbling! If you are afraid your shafty is not able to compete with MOA's, get you a MOA. Then what are you gonna b!tch about when you can't win?
I have seen someone with a stock AX-10 do very well in Super class. No dig, no nothing. STOCK! It's called SKILL! And there is not a Vendor on here that sells that! Money can't buy it either!
Less than a year ago, I had never heard of R/C crawling! The first comp I went to, I didn't even know what the tennis balls were for. Within 2 or 3 months of practicing almost every day, running at GTG's, and 1 local SERCRC comp, I placed 14th at the East Coast Championship. That wasn't Newbie luck, and it wasn't money. Cause I did it with plastic knuckles, homemade driveshafts, and other various cheap parts I could piece together. It was knowing exactly how my truck would react in various situations. You got to know your truck! These people that change set-ups every week can never learn how to drive their rigs, it is different everytime they grab the remote. I was going to change over to MOA's next season, but this babbling has made me decide to keep on spanking with my shafty!

That's all I got to say, now I'm going to PRACTICE! (that is the secret place where you might be able to find some skills)
i think this pretty much sums it all up^^^^^^^^^
stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #90
CBR
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbro View Post
i think this pretty much sums it all up^^^^^^^^^
Thanks! Glad somebody else can see!
Here is a little video of how my shafty's driveshafts and high COG and lower ground clearance, and lighter or heavier (I can't remember?) weight affects its performance. It kills me on 90 degree breakovers! HAHAHAHA!:-P

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=c182d435.pbr

Last edited by CBR; 10-21-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
MOA's are heavier for the simple fact that they have 2 motors and two sets of heavy gears. Yes, to overcome the CG of the location of the motors on shaftys weight needs to be added down low to compete on the same courses right now. i guarantee this will change in the future

My comp rig is 5.5 lbs with 6oz of added weight.

What I'm trying to get at is that the designs have different benefits; right now it happens that the rules and atmosphere benefit the MOA's more. When someone figures out how to use a higher CG and lighter weight vehicle to their advantage the MOA's will fall behind. Maybe I already have a shafty in the works that will do just that?

I will repeat what I said because I know that with enough money and time, I can get a shafty to conquer any terrain that a MOA can tackle.
That kinda seems pointless, because you could do it cheaper and easier with a MOA, and with all that time and money the MOA could do even more than the shaftie, so you still would be behind.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #92
CBR
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I will repeat what I said, "There is not a Vendor on here that sells SKILL!"

LMAO
Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red223 View Post
""at this point rc crawling is still in its infantcy. There will be many years of development and different designs made before rc crawling hits it's peak.""

When a halftrack starts winning championships....it's peaked. Half MOA/Half Shafty.

Don't think one has been built yet. Never seen a halftrack with flex....or even a RC halftrack for that matter. Rear tracks would have to be independent for crawling, you'd end up with something that would look like a lunar rover of some sort.
I plan to run my Halftrack at a local comp in about 10 days. I will let you know how it does.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

A halftrack would be against the rules.........
Old 10-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
A halftrack would be against the rules.........
I lied it ain't really a halftrack. It is a hybrid tho. Moa in the front and shaft in the back. With super dig it will turn in its own lenght like a twin screw boat.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

So basically its really a moa then.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

We do, $29.95 and we will send you a bag full of it.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR View Post
I will repeat what I said, "There is not a Vendor on here that sells SKILL!"

LMAO
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

I really don't know what all the fuss is about,neither type has an all holds barred advantage over the other. Ken Miller whose father and brother I race with here in Carolina just won the Nats in Indiana and placed second in neighboring state is running a Berg. The second place guy is a shafty. Ok , shafty won the comp that Ken placed second in a Berg. Tit for tat.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
So basically its really a moa then.
Well you could say it is a half-assed MOA.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

I do not see the Moa rigs being heavier than the shafties.

My Moa rig including 3cell 2000Mah without the wheels and tires is only 4lbs 2oz. how much do most shafties weigh without just the wheels and tires?
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote