Notices

Thread: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I ran egg beaters on the road bike with my MTB shoes when I first bought it. But having made the switch to dedicated road pedals and shoes, there is no comparison. My feet don't get hot spots on long rides now with the larger platform, and my legs don't cramp like they used to either. Much like saddles, it's a personal thing, and I don't commute or run errands on the bike, I just ride to ride.
Nice, you settled on Look or SHimano pedals? Sometimes my feet (usually left foot) gets hotspot or kinda gets numb under ball of foot or toe area...
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

I 'need' this too

Nashbar Ram Single-Speed Road Bike - Single-Speed & Fixed Gear Bikes

I can't decide road or cyclocross SS though...

Nashbar Single-Speed Cyclocross Bike - Single-Speed & Fixed Gear Bikes
Old 08-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Nate I went with the Look Keo 2 max pedals, and I love 'em. Shimano's self centering float just feels weird to me anymore to be honest. Oddly enough, it's my left foot also. And I still get a bit of it, but not as bad, need to tweak the left cleat a bit to get rid of it.

I'd do the cross bike all the way, even if you never do any hard offroad, it greatly increases your tire options since it will have the clearance for them. One of my favorite trail systems that I have in mind for the single speed is very doable on a cross bike.

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-14-2014 at 04:38 PM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

Did a new route on last nights group ride, lots of rollers, some of them pretty long. Feels good to be able to sit and spin it to the top, and know that I can do it now. Long sustained climbs are my only nemesis now, I'm good for about 2 miles or so of steady climbing, but with time that distance will increase as well.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Bought a new road 'bike' this weekend.

TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Very nice Brian! The KLRs are great motorcycles, and a DS / supermoto is IMHO the best type of bike to own if you can only have one. I have a DRZ 400 supermoto myself.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #107
RCC Addict

Quote:
Very nice Brian! The KLRs are great motorcycles, and a DS / supermoto is IMHO the best type of bike to own if you can only have one. I have a DRZ 400 supermoto myself.
I'm really enjoying it thus far. We are buying some acreage up in the mountains in the next month or so. So... the VW is going away, as is the mini van, and the DS will soon be joined by a crew cab diesel. I can't wait to close on the property and get the hell out of town. I also just threw down some $$ on a Great Bernese (Bernese Mountain Dog mixed with a Great Pyrenees). Should be a good dog to guard the kiddos when they play outside from mountain lions, bears, and dirt bags. He'll end up weighing in somewhere around 160lbs. All that to say, I'll probably be riding my AWOL more than my Litespeed from here on out.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Very cool, color my jelly!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

Well, I survived and met my goal for my first season of road biking. I rode in the 10th annual Tour De Franklin Fall Classic charity ride yesterday, I did the 55 mile loop (technically it's only 54 ), and here's my thoughts on my first long road bike ride. I can't say enough about the support and rest stops that the LBS and sponsors made happen. We had two SAG rigs with parts, tools, and pick up for anyone that couldn't make it, and two motorcycle riders constantly moving through the field checking on everyone. If you felt alone, or didn't get enough to eat or drink, it was your own fault. There was home cooked BBQ, pasta, meatballs, baked beans, and two different kinds of home brewed beer at the end also. Huge thanks to everyone that put forth all that effort!

I made it a point to eat very well the day before, and the morning of the ride FWIW.

First leg was around 30 miles, and I felt great all the way through it, even at the end of it. Had our second rest stop, some food and topped off my water bottles.

The second leg is downhill / flat for about 5 miles, then hits you with about a one mile grunting climb, but I still felt good. Had more climbs along the way to the final rest stop which was our turn around point. I was really starting to feel it around the 43 mile mark, another climb at the 44-45 mile mark and my left hip flexor started giving my problems, every pedal stroke hurt. By the 47-48 mile mark, my body was just done, my legs felt like lead pipes, and I wanted off that damn bike LOL. But, I put my head down and continued, and even made the final climb which was by far the worst of the day, very short but very steep, standing was the only way to get up it and you start from a stop sign with chance to get a run at it. I stayed with a guy that stopped halfway due to cramps. Other than that, I stayed right with the group I ride with on Wednesday's right up until around the 50 mile mark when I was just physically and mentally done and let them go. The physical part was tough, but honestly I think the mental part is just as bad if not worse. I'm really glad I didn't have a computer to watch, would have been worse I think. I tried having a beer afterward, and couldn't stomach it at all. Had some food and about six small glasses of gatorade and I felt immensely better, then had that beer. I know it's a long post, but those are my thoughts on it FWIW.

Jersey and event goodie bag

This is as high as my traps and neck would let my arms would go at the finish line

Strava

Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well, I survived and met my goal for my first season of road biking. I rode in the 10th annual Tour De Franklin Fall Classic charity ride yesterday, I did the 55 mile loop (technically it's only 54 ), and here's my thoughts on my first long road bike ride. I can't say enough about the support and rest stops that the LBS and sponsors made happen. We had two SAG rigs with parts, tools, and pick up for anyone that couldn't make it, and two motorcycle riders constantly moving through the field checking on everyone. If you felt alone, or didn't get enough to eat or drink, it was your own fault. There was home cooked BBQ, pasta, meatballs, baked beans, and two different kinds of home brewed beer at the end also. Huge thanks to everyone that put forth all that effort!

I made it a point to eat very well the day before, and the morning of the ride FWIW.

First leg was around 30 miles, and I felt great all the way through it, even at the end of it. Had our second rest stop, some food and topped off my water bottles.

The second leg is downhill / flat for about 5 miles, then hits you with about a one mile grunting climb, but I still felt good. Had more climbs along the way to the final rest stop which was our turn around point. I was really starting to feel it around the 43 mile mark, another climb at the 44-45 mile mark and my left hip flexor started giving my problems, every pedal stroke hurt. By the 47-48 mile mark, my body was just done, my legs felt like lead pipes, and I wanted off that damn bike LOL. But, I put my head down and continued, and even made the final climb which was by far the worst of the day, very short but very steep, standing was the only way to get up it and you start from a stop sign with chance to get a run at it. I stayed with a guy that stopped halfway due to cramps. Other than that, I stayed right with the group I ride with on Wednesday's right up until around the 50 mile mark when I was just physically and mentally done and let them go. The physical part was tough, but honestly I think the mental part is just as bad if not worse. I'm really glad I didn't have a computer to watch, would have been worse I think. I tried having a beer afterward, and couldn't stomach it at all. Had some food and about six small glasses of gatorade and I felt immensely better, then had that beer. I know it's a long post, but those are my thoughts on it FWIW.

Jersey and event goodie bag

This is as high as my traps and neck would let my arms would go at the finish line
Very nice job on your ride and nice jersey! Sounds like you were kinda dehydrated and low on electrolytes near the end. Think I posted this before but SaltStick is great stuff. GU with caffeine is good too, just don't do too many lol.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Very nice job on your ride and nice jersey! Sounds like you were kinda dehydrated and low on electrolytes near the end. Think I posted this before but SaltStick is great stuff. GU with caffeine is good too, just don't do too many lol.
Thanks Nate! We actually got a T shirt, but I've been rocking the LBS jersey from the beginning as they're truly great folks.

I take Hammer nutrition endurolytes as I do need electrolyte supplements, I get leg cramps if I don't take them. A big part of that is the change in my diet, I don't eat a lot of salt, or other things I may need at times, for good or bad it's helped me lose a lot of weight. There may be things I could eat that are healthy that would help though. You may be onto something with the dehydration, although I try and drink, sometimes I just forget while enjoying the ride.

And I love me some Gu salted caramel with the caffeine! I had two during that ride, plus a couple PB&J's and a muffin.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Good job HPI. Looking fit. I've found cyclist to be some of the most positive people to be around. Keep it up.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Thanks RiceBurner, and I agree, cyclists are a generally a great bunch of folks.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #114
Pebble Pounder

Good ride hpi! I've been using the gu electrolyte tabs and a stinger waffle (ginger snap flavor) on my longer rides. When are we going to have the first annual rcc century?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
fourxfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

I picked up this 2015 Specialized Diverge from the bike shop the other day:

Not a full blown road bike.....more like a Cross bike with fat road tires (700x30C). I've taken it on a few ride now and am quite pleased. I am still getting small things adjusted, but it seems to work quite well. I am a good bit faster on this than I was my MTB (which I used for commuting).
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #116
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxfunk View Post
Good ride hpi! I've been using the gu electrolyte tabs and a stinger waffle (ginger snap flavor) on my longer rides. When are we going to have the first annual rcc century?

Just as soon as you come out to Colorado. I'll be like a god to you flat-landers in this elevation!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I picked up this 2015 Specialized Diverge from the bike shop the other day:

Not a full blown road bike.....more like a Cross bike with fat road tires (700x30C). I've taken it on a few ride now and am quite pleased. I am still getting small things adjusted, but it seems to work quite well. I am a good bit faster on this than I was my MTB (which I used for commuting).
That's a helluva new bike day, congrats Jeremy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaleAddict View Post
Just as soon as you come out to Colorado. I'll be like a god to you flat-landers in this elevation!!!
I'd love to come out there and ride, but on mountain bikes though. You truly live in bicycle mecca out there.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's a helluva new bike day, congrats Jeremy!
Thanks!

I use the Map My Ride app to track my rides on my phone and as I ride a pass a number of small sprints that different people have setup around the city. The app will tell you how you have done compared to past times you've ridden that course. Yesterday, I hit 4 PR's out of 6 courses.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

HPIGUY, forgot to say that it's good that you ate well the day before ride too! That also makes huge difference along with proper sleep.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #120
Pebble Pounder

I just missed my goal for the year of 2k miles today. Last year I rode 1018 miles(all mountain bike) so my goal for this year was to double that. Little did I know how much I'd be riding my new road bike. I'm currently at 1999.6. I love cycling.

fourxfunk is online now   Reply With Quote

The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party Tupers Chit Chat 16 06-27-2014 11:21 AM
Never seen a road bike ridden like a trails bike before TSK Chit Chat 5 11-20-2013 08:59 AM
Any road cycling fans? ecoli Chit Chat 11 07-08-2009 09:38 AM