Notices

Thread: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuthabubba View Post
My road bikes are all '80s steel framed sport/tour geometry. Only bought one new in the mid '80s. Got the rest online from bike forum classifieds and eBay 10 or so years ago. Bought mostly for the frames, then shopped for better (for my use) componentry (mostly '80s mid/upper range Campy/Suntour/Shimano stuff) to finish them out. I prefer Brooks B-17s, rando or priest style bars at or slightly above saddle height, true measured >1" tires and rat traps with loose strapped toe clips, PowerGrips or big BMX types.

Not as limber as I used to be so had to put together something comfortable. This 'bicycle building' turned into a hobby for several years so now I have more than 20 diamond frame and mixte old school bikes. Some with racks, fenders or bar end shifters. Would be difficult to get rid of them because they are all my size! Meaning small (~52cm) frames.
This reply is worthless without pics....

I would think they would be easy to sell if you wanted to. Seems like there are more small cyclist than not. Since they are 'old', you should be able to get top dollar if you are near a college. It's trendy to ride old metal diamonds.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I'm also in the middle of restoring my 85 Cannondale Race Frame. Drivetrain and wheels were demolished when a car pulled out in front of me. I had the frame blasted and powder coated. Lots to do yet. Mostly just collecting parts for now.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

^^Nice, I love seeing old steeds resurrected.

Did my first Wednesday group ride this evening. I expected to get dropped eventually, so no big surprises there, but damn these people climb like mountain goats. I got the bike the fastest I've ever had it, backed it in for the first time, and man I suffered, I suffered a LOT. But, I was told over dinner that I did really good, and was invited back next week.

hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Default The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

Can't wait to get it built. The SR900 was top of the line in its time. After being hit on it and. It dying... I doubt I'll ever sell it.

Sounds like a fun ride. Keep it up and you'll be slaying them!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Mr. Addict, my first ever road bike was a white Cannondale circa 88'ish, I think it was a SR500 mostly suntour & 105 groupo I think. I later put STI on it when it came out. I was on the High School cycling team, Lemond was at his zenith, and I saw the SR500 at some bike shop while visiting my brother in the Navy stationed in San Diego. What i saw kept me up at night until it was mine. I've had a number of race bikes since, but I'm happy to be back on something similar 25ish years later It's cool you kept yours... Sadly I sold mine. Are you going to restore it to period correct or bringing parts up to current spec?

hpiguy. Awesome to see your progress and enthusiasm. You are reminding me of the joy of cycling. Keep it up. your ride today was impressive, here's why first number I saw was 1,792, booya... I'm interested, then 21.17 in 1:20... AWESOME. You guys were flying, I love it.

We need to setup an rcc group ride and crawl somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by rockhugger; 06-18-2014 at 09:35 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Default The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Mr. Addict, my first ever road bike was a white Cannondale circa 88'ish, I think it was a SR500 mostly suntour & 105 groupo I think. I later put STI on it when it came out. I was on the High School cycling team, Lemond was at his zenith, and I saw the SR500 at some bike shop while visiting my brother in the Navy stationed in San Diego. What i saw kept me up at night until it was mine. I've had a number of race bikes since, but I'm happy to be back on something similar 25ish years later It's cool you kept yours... Sadly I sold mine. Are you going to restore it to period correct or bringing parts up to current spec?

I didn't buy it new. I bought it while I was in college. It was never 'factory' spec. Not since I bought it anyway. It did have the factory suntour crank. It's trashed now though. That was the part that hit the bumper of the car the hardest... The impact completely sheered my spindle. I kept it just to remember how lucky I was for surviving. If the guy had pulled out another four feet, my kids would be orphans.

As for the new build specs, I'm not really settled on anything in particular just yet. I may just build it with a triple ten speed as a 'mountain goat'. Maybe set it up as a tourer...
Old 06-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

^^That spindle is just nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaleAddict View Post

Sounds like a fun ride. Keep it up and you'll be slaying them!
Thanks man, it was tough, but fun.

Quote:
hpiguy. Awesome to see your progress and enthusiasm. You are reminding me of the joy of cycling. Keep it up. your ride today was impressive, here's why first number I saw was 1,792, booya... I'm interested, then 21.17 in 1:20... AWESOME. You guys were flying, I love it.

We need to setup an rcc group ride and crawl somewhere in the middle.
Thanks for the encouragement! I won't lie, there were times yesterday I wanted to just quit; "I'm done, my legs are toast, I think I'm going to die on this climb, like for real."

But every time I felt that way, I forced myself for put my head down and pedal a little harder. Everyone else is doing it, so can you. Besides, the only way to improve is to ride with people better than you and push yourself. It is hands down physically the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and at the end, I loved it and was happy I pushed through it.

I WILL be skipping the Tuesday ride next week though.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
^^That spindle is just nuts!
That's what happens when you hit a car while riding at over 30mph.

Quote:
Besides, the only way to improve is to ride with people better than you and push yourself.
Or... to challenge yourself based on your Strava results. Of course, technically, you are also comparing yourself to others and their times... So maybe you're right.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I have a harder time motivating myself to push when I'm alone. I do better riding with faster peeps, same as how I learned with motorcycles.

Tried a new saddle on yesterday's ride too, better but not quite there. Bike shop has two more on order for me to try. Gotta love the Trek 30 day saddle demo program.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
Im Brandon

No road bike, but I jump on my CX bike often when I feel like just putting in some miles. I can never stay away from the dirt, too much of it around here...

My strava:
Brandon Coonce | Cyclist on Strava

Sprained my wrist last month so my activity this month has been limited. I did man up and ride in Taiwan during my visit a few weeks ago. Hurt like hell but the scenery there was worth it!

The CX (actually borrowed from a friend, its his back up race bike)
Attached Images

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Brandon, I feel your pain, literally. I did something to my wrist over a month ago on the MTB, and it's still bothering me a lot. Sort of scared to have it looked at after missing the entire summer of '09 with a shoulder injury / surgery.

Also, I really want a cross bike next year. Nice pics!!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Bought my first pair of bib shorts today. Going to try them out tomorrow, but man they feel comfy.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This reply is worthless without pics....

I would think they would be easy to sell if you wanted to. Seems like there are more small cyclist than not. Since they are 'old', you should be able to get top dollar if you are near a college. It's trendy to ride old metal diamonds.
Thanks for the interest.
I'll try to get some pics next week after this hitch at work. Most of the bikes are in storage. There's a few old Treks, Miyatas, Specialized a d several, that turned out to be my favorite frames, Univegas. They kept the good frame geometry that other builders modified to better 'fit' us
short people, thereby ruining the positioning and handling.

The only ones I still have that were bought new are a mid '80s
Centurion Iron Man, an Ibis Mountain Trials (26/24) and a mid '90s
Diamondback Apex hardtail w/Manitou shock. Oh yeah, bought a Haro V-5? something and a Heron Wayfarer frame new also.

Last edited by anuthabubba; 06-26-2014 at 05:25 PM.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Bought my first pair of bib shorts today. Going to try them out tomorrow, but man they feel comfy.
How are you liking the bibs?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
How are you liking the bibs?
Haven't ridden in them yet. This evening will be the first time, if the rain holds off.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Bibs are the best, you'll never go back to shorts after riding bibs.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #37
Im Brandon

Quote:
Bibs are the best, you'll never go back to shorts after riding bibs.
This is correct.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Tonight's ride was a washout, hope to try out the new bibs tomorrow night but what you guys have said is what I've heard.

Also the LBS / outdoor outfitter shop next door (the owner rides and they sell good beer ) is having a cookout afterwards for every ride from now on that leaves from the LBS. I know tomorrows route, and ride it every week, just a few extra miles added in and a slightly faster pace so I should be good. Hoping for no rain, and looking forward to it.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Mmmmm. Beer & Brats after a good ride is excellent.

I've got a 60 miler planned for Tomorow afternoon, temps and air quality should be good for a nice long ride here in Northern Ca.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #40
No idea what I'm doing

So who biked to work today? Or is that just a Colorado event?

Home | Bike to Work
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party Tupers Chit Chat 16 06-27-2014 11:21 AM
Never seen a road bike ridden like a trails bike before TSK Chit Chat 5 11-20-2013 08:59 AM
Any road cycling fans? ecoli Chit Chat 11 07-08-2009 09:38 AM