Notices

Thread: "Like" Button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #141
Sinking with the ship

Default Re: "Like" Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I'm on a bazillion forums and have never used any forums search function - google works way better anyway. Unless you know exactly what you're searching for, or you're searching for a specific user post.
Just try a topic in google with the [subject] space and site:rccrawler.com and you'll get all the threads on the subject. Way better results than any forum search function.
So, for example I wanted gear ratios for the new TRX sport kit so I would search: trx sport final gear ratio site:rccrawler.com
Try it. Google is way more efficient than any vbulletin forum code. Just sayin'.

For forums moderation, what other active forums do is assign active users that are the 'old guard' to be a section moderator that can deal with things in that specific area. They can elevate a case to a super mod. This way one person isn't burdened with every little thing that goes on, and sometimes just a friendly reminder from your section mod is all it takes to keep things in line.

Like no personal attacks or insults, crassness or nudity, you have basic rule infractions that you hold everybody to. Otherwise, let them post whatever the hell they want.

Personally, I don't come here for freebees and giveaways. I know they promote crawling events with raffles and prizes and all that but that's not what gets me there. I go for the crawling and the camaraderie.
The place has plenty of camaraderie if you post and interact with the other active members. IMO while it may not be what somebody remembers it was years ago, I just don't see it as broken. If people leave then that's up to them - you're always going to have that. If there's something here for them, like something they're interested in, or for some discussion or debate, then they can come back and participate.
BTW, the PB wheel give away for a photo thread was fantastic. If vendors want to do that nobody is gonna say 'no'!! That surely got a lot of members enthused and posting their rigs, didn't it?

While FB and their likes may be growing, specialty forums are not dying. Unless you make it so miserable that people just can't stand it. I've been in a few of those too, and no more. Usually it's heavy-handed moderators, or really crass people that just drive everybody else out.

Okay, I've rambled on enough. This is what I know about forums.

While you may not come for freebees a lot of people did, because back in the day star could net you 100s of $ in prizes

You have to keep in mind, this is a business this site. Vendors pay to advertise hear, so it cannot be a free for all...which goes back to your other post about freedom of speech. Also falls in line with if you have an issue with a member or vendor during a transaction the appropriate feedback section should be utilized

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #142
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Some free-form thoughts on this and other seemingly-related forum issues:
Quote:
(I initially posted about the likes disappearing in the "Comments, Suggestions, and Help" section, and no moderators visited that thread, so I suppose if I would like to contribute to the conversation , I will have to do it here...)

(These are only MY opinions, obviously!)

I'm a paid member.

I am not on FaceBook, and only in my pre-crawler days was I on other RC forums - The JANG's URC mainly, in case anyone is curious.

I "Like" the "Like".

I also post a lot - trying to contribute to conversations, discuss new products, appreciate member's build threads, and showing my own rigs.

I fail to see how the "Like" hurts, as it can be ignored by those who aren't into it, and those who wish to post more than just a "Like" typically do so.

To me, removing it seems like a way to "force" more interaction in an artificial manner.

It might be different if the "Like" button never existed before, but the Pandora's box had already opened some time ago on this site (and elsewhere on the internet).

The world today is a fast-paced place with lots of distractions, most of us here work and many have families.

We don't always have time to compose a post in response to everything that elicits a desire to publicly approve of another post.

I, for one, enjoy the back-and-forth of "Likes" and will admit freely that it feels good to have one of my posts "Liked" - so sue me...

I'm a single guy in his mid-50's that doesn't really do much more than obsess over RC crawlers and this site means a lot to me.

Since this change has happened, I'm personally feeling somewhat dissatisfied, and reading this thread is depressing.

Actually, I'm going to slightly revise that statement - I suppose it really kicked off when the Proline Metric body thread went completely haywire.

Threads do that around here every so often, but it's been ages since one went as bad as that one did.

I was one of the first commenters, but all I said was it was too rich for my blood, and then I stayed out of it.

My general feelings of discomfort with the site began as that thread "blew up", and I was hoping it would settle down - but I see the direct link from it to the other changes happening.

My thoughts on vendors, well - vendors on here help the site in some ways, and they supply the hobby and us with products.

But - they are also earning money from selling their products - they chose to work in the business that they are in.

If they cannot take criticism of their products, they are in the wrong business.

Obviously, any criticism given should be as constructive as possible, no need to be rude.

But, this site does occasionally have rudeness in non-vendor related threads, with the perpetrators typically falling back on that tire old mantra of "toughen up, you shoulda seen what this place USED to be like".

Just because things once were that way shouldn't excuse that behavior - we are just hanging out here talkin' toy trucks, after all.

I also thought it was interesting seeing the vendor mention the green "flipoff" emoji, and how he took that as rude - I also can't help but take it as rudeness, but I have long ago stopped reacting to it.

(Well, I guess I'll stop here... Please take this post as it was meant - as a collection of observations and opinions - I hope everything dies down, we get back to "normal", and - as a final note, We get the "Like" option back!)

Ill admit, I did not view the comments and feedback section to see your post in reference to the Likes... for now, I would say with the discussion is here.

As far as Vendors go, Vendors are paying to sell here and advertise here, therefore the owners have decided that they are entitled to a degree of respect. Its been at the discretion of the moderators.

For example, saying that a vendor here, who does 3d printing and sells on shapeways, SUCKS because
Shapeways
raised their prices doesnt mean the vendor should be slandered here because of it. At least that is my take on it...

At the end of the day, I am doing my best to work with the current owners to make this place better then it is now... I know a lot of people want to blame me for the like button disappearing because I have spoken out on it in the past and even currently. Regardless of my stand point on the Like feature my ultimate goal, again, is to better
this place overall.

For those that dont know me on a personal level, or even on a forum level, should know I would never want to hurt RCC on any level... and just for some back ground info: I have been in the RC hobby as a whole for nearly 25 years now, I have a 115 + car and truck collection which consists mostly of scale rock crawlers. I have traveled to events nation wide, from NY to FL and NY to CA and Montana. I have been more actively attending bigger events the past few years now with my new work schedule and have attended the last 2 axial fest events and last 3 USTE events. This past USTE I (MikesRCWorld) sponsored the event where I donated parts/products for the Axial SMT10 monster trucks used in the side by side drag racing part of the event to be given away to the top 2 finishers. I assisted in running the monster truck racing part of the event and judged the monster truck and vintage buggy class gallery. Among my peers I would say I normally (when not associated with killing the button on RCC ) well received and I am a sponsored builder/part time driver for RC4WD, a GCM racing team driver/builder, I have worked with Bowhouse RC to develop their NC yota axles, and recently I have consulted with Jconcepts on product as well. I have also been featured, and wrote articles now for RC Car Action as well.

What all that means is, I have a love and passion for this hobby. The people who know me on a personal level know this and know I only want whats best for this forum, its fellow members, and the hobby as a whole.

Going forward, and I know Ive said it before, I ask that everyone has some patient... I can tell you now, I cant handle it all on my own, ill be the first to admit that. So in the next coming weeks I hope to have new moderators, guys from this community who are active, who can do the right thing by the forum and community.

There is a lot going on that I am not at liberty to discuss currently but as things change and evolve I will do my best to keep everyone informed.

Thanks
-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 03-13-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Just tell them I killed the "like" button and ignore any further whining pointed your way. It'll be fun, I promise.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #144
Gold Star Baby!

But he’s really telling us to vote with our silence if he’s going to ignore all the endless valid points made here and rely on data alone.

10-4 1BJB

Good luck.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #145
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
But he’s really telling us to vote with our silence if he’s going to ignore all the endless valid points made here and rely on data alone.

10-4 1BJB

Good luck.
I am waiting for the data... you’ve already made up your mind that the data is irrelevant, at least that’s my understanding of it. I don’t agree with that. So I’m gonna wait on badger to run the stats. Again it’s a patient things.

Appreciate the good luck
Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #146
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

" the current owners"

Thanks
-Mike

I read the whole thing and , CURRENT OWNERS pops out, makes me think they gonna sell it ??
Just an observation with your words ?
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #147
RCC Addict

Quote:

Scale Builders Guild...

That would be ridiculous... quoting and emojis arent going anywhere...be realistic dude You say your on popular forums but yet all the popular forums I am on don't have it:
Nasioc forums for subaru
Zilvia forums for nissan
Scale Builders Guild for Scale rock crawlers

You have a right to free speech but this is a privately owned forum and the owners can dictate what they allow and don't allow. RCC has been pretty good about that over the years but lets not get into a constitution debate
Forums that do have a 'like' button - and there are WAY more of them that do than don't:
thehulltruth.com
bloodydecks.com
advrider.com (huge forum - 100K members)
irv2.com
cafehusky.com
coloradofans.com
dieselplace.com (huge - way over 100K members)

Ones that don't - and really old and dated software:
rvforum.net
calguns.net
garagejournal.com
mazdas247.com
mazdaforum.com
mazdaworld.org

IMO, your 'data' isn't what will bear this out. It's a false pretense.

On free speech - I think I said exactly what you did, but you take issue with it. I guess I'm just not getting it. And it wasn't a debate - it was a comment on @WHITE-TRASH's comment about the 'whining and gnashing of teeth'. We have several people on here that have made comments along the lines that people should not be able to express their views if they run contrary to theirs. This also seems to be all the rage these days as well. And yes, I agree the forum has not been one to curtail comment - thank you.

We are really glad that you're plugged into the hobby, that helps. And devoted to it - I think I can speak for the vast majority here that we all are. A common interest. What I'm getting at in my comments is that if you make it too difficult and cumbersome for the exchange of views and expression of same, you kill it. People just quit coming back. It becomes a nuisance instead of an interest. And then everybody loses.

To give you an idea, I've been involved in the RC hobby since Kraft was big - and before that with free-flight and rubber-band power, and control-line planes in the cul-de-sac. I got my start in the early 1960's.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #148

I think people should just give up the Like idea for a week or two. At that time the site owners/administrators can compare traffic to what it has been and see if Likes had a positive or negative effect on traffic.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #149
RCC Addict

kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Making people pay for what's been readily available for years isn't usually a good way to gain traffic at a site.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't pay to be here, but I share a lot of my time and knowledge with the site.

Forums are a dying breed. Good luck getting a paid-only membership forum to survive. Paid online magazines, that were once print magazines, are even having trouble surviving.
Agreed.
Not necessarily about forums, yes many print magazines are dead/dying and a lot of that is because they were/are very biased towards every paid advertiser, not worthy of my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
This is the key problem here. From the user perspective, Jason and Badger are absentee landlords, and aside from collecting $20 from those who still bother buying a start, have had little interaction with the forums to keep them going. They have turned the keys over to you, great, but other than are hardy pat on the back, what else are you getting out of it? If they are truly committed to having you revitalize these forums, they should cut you in as a partner, giving you more incentive than just pride for the work you are going to do. Hopefully they are.

Like a lot of us who remember the good'ol days of RCC, I'd love to see a lot of that come back. Lets face facts, FB is great for organizing local crawl events, something that RCC has always been lackluster at. But FB sucks horribly at hosting build threads, finding specific information, as well as connecting our niche of the RC community beyond our local areas.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
....Make posting pictures easier. Maybe without....third party photo storage.

be more involved in some of the bigger national competitions or events.

...or a "whats trending" thread.
Yes! Some other sites I'm member of have top10 trending threads on the right side, pretty useful and useful when you're bored and looking for something interesting to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
In my opinion, THE reason to come to RCC is the tech. You need to advertise that this is the best place on the internet for RC crawling tech.

You also need to advertise this on the social media sights because that's were all the young guys are and frankly the noobs that need the tech the most. You need to figure out the best way to reach them. Members should help if they are on local groups by posting up links to pertinent information on RCC.

...The attitude of the OG's needs to be responsive and assisting to these new guys than it has in the past. A lot of these guys will never have been on a forum so they need to not be turned off by their first experience. The biggest help I think would be to promote the sight when people ask questions on places like Facebook. Now I'm not saying direct every window licker on Facebook that asks a question about a RC crawler here, use some good judgement, lol. That gets them here, then you just need to make the experience helpful.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
...Active members only for mod duty? That's harsh, bro.

Forums aren't Facebook and never will be, but that doesn't mean that things can't be gleaned from their business model and utilized for our own good.

Forums are great for tech. 9 times out of 10 I'll browse a forum for an answer before calling tech support at work. RCC has a goldmine of tech, but it's probably due for some cleanup.

The gradual decline and near death of the giveaways was painful to watch.

Forums can't survive on member interaction alone. It needs ample participation from the staff, the vendors, and the event organizers. We've lost large numbers on all fronts, and we desperately need to get them back.

I've never had a problem with the search button. Just sayin'.

As a vendor, I found the like button hugely helpful....
Agreed and always appreciated and still do your honesty, generally fair minded moderation and posts.

Quote:
For forums moderation, what other active forums do is assign active users that are the 'old guard' to be a section moderator that can deal with things in that specific area. They can elevate a case to a super mod. This way one person isn't burdened with every little thing that goes on, and sometimes just a friendly reminder from your section mod is all it takes to keep things in line.

Like no personal attacks or insults, crassness or nudity, you have basic rule infractions that you hold everybody to. Otherwise, let them post whatever the hell they want.

Personally, I don't come here for freebees and giveaways. I know they promote crawling events with raffles and prizes and all that but that's not what gets me there. I go for the crawling and the camaraderie.
The place has plenty of camaraderie if you post and interact with the other active members....
BTW, the PB wheel give away for a photo thread was fantastic. If vendors want to do that nobody is gonna say 'no'!! That surely got a lot of members enthused and posting their rigs, didn't it?

While FB and their likes may be growing, specialty forums are not dying. Unless you make it so miserable that people just can't stand it. I've been in a few of those too, and no more. Usually it's heavy-handed moderators, or really crass people that just drive everybody else out..
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I suspect upgrading the forum software would also help the search function.
Yes.

Quote:
Some free-form thoughts on this and other seemingly-related forum issues:

(I initially posted about the likes disappearing in the "Comments, Suggestions, and Help" section, and no moderators visited that thread, so I suppose if I would like to contribute to the conversation , I will have to do it here...)

I'm a paid member.

I am not on FaceBook, and only in my pre-crawler days was I on other RC forums - The JANG's URC mainly, in case anyone is curious.

I "Like" the "Like".

I also post a lot - trying to contribute to conversations, discuss new products, appreciate member's build threads, and showing my own rigs.

I fail to see how the "Like" hurts, as it can be ignored by those who aren't into it, and those who wish to post more than just a "Like" typically do so.

To me, removing it seems like a way to "force" more interaction in an artificial manner.

It might be different if the "Like" button never existed before, but the Pandora's box had already opened some time ago on this site (and elsewhere on the internet).

The world today is a fast-paced place with lots of distractions, most of us here work and many have families.

We don't always have time to compose a post in response to everything that elicits a desire to publicly approve of another post.

I, for one, enjoy the back-and-forth of "Likes" and will admit freely that it feels good to have one of my posts "Liked" - so sue me...

I'm a single guy in his mid-50's that doesn't really do much more than obsess over RC crawlers and this site means a lot to me.

Since this change has happened, I'm personally feeling somewhat dissatisfied, and reading this thread is depressing.

Actually, I'm going to slightly revise that statement - I suppose it really kicked off when the Proline Metric body thread went completely haywire.

Threads do that around here every so often, but it's been ages since one went as bad as that one did.

I was one of the first commenters, but all I said was it was too rich for my blood, and then I stayed out of it.

My general feelings of discomfort with the site began as that thread "blew up", and I was hoping it would settle down - but I see the direct link from it to the other changes happening.

My thoughts on vendors, well - vendors on here help the site in some ways, and they supply the hobby and us with products.

But - they are also earning money from selling their products - they chose to work in the business that they are in.

If they cannot take criticism of their products, they are in the wrong business.

Obviously, any criticism given should be as constructive as possible, no need to be rude.

But, this site does occasionally have rudeness in non-vendor related threads, with the perpetrators typically falling back on that tire old mantra of "toughen up, you shoulda seen what this place USED to be like".

Just because things once were that way shouldn't excuse that behavior - we are just hanging out here talkin' toy trucks, after all.

I also thought it was interesting seeing the vendor mention the green "flipoff" emoji, and how he took that as rude - I also can't help but take it as rudeness, but I have long ago stopped reacting to it.

(Well, I guess I'll stop here... Please take this post as it was meant - as a collection of observations and opinions - I hope everything dies down, we get back to "normal", and - as a final note, We get the "Like" option back!)
Well stated Durok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I like it too...and this is our life now. Sorting through pages of quotes because everyone is forced to quote and re-post to agree.

Up until a couple weeks ago, moderator activity was so rare I honestly couldn't have identified one by screen name or avatar. I appreciate the renewed attention and effort, but between this and disappearing threads I'm not sure we're on the right track yet. Keep trying guys.
X2

Quote:
Exactly. The comments in support far outweigh any detractors. Removing features doesn't 'improve' the forum. I call this a 'solution looking for a problem'. Seems to be all the rage these days...pretty much everywhere.
Agreed.

Quote:
Thanks for the support Nate

Thank you, I believe that utilizing the social media outlets to bring people here is something that needs to happen.[/COLOR][/FONT]
You're welcome.

Quote:
They haven't turned keys over to me, they are still the current owners. Badger does a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that 99.9% would have no idea about. Getting admin access allows me to address issues that as a regular moderator I couldn't.
Owning a website requires paying yearly/monthy hosting fees, building it, setting up IP address etc...the rest of the stuff appears to have been absent for a loooong time, such as actively monitoring it, granting proper permissions to admins (not all admins are equal rights to the site settings), getting and keeping good mods who enjoy the hobby and are stable/level-headed and calm (ie fair-handed), promoting it, recruiting paid advertisers, give-aways etc.

Quote:

On free speech - I think I said exactly what you did, but you take issue with it. I guess I'm just not getting it. And it wasn't a debate - it was a comment on @WHITE-TRASH's comment about the 'whining and gnashing of teeth'. We have several people on here that have made comments along the lines that people should not be able to express their views if they run contrary to theirs. This also seems to be all the rage these days as well. And yes, I agree the forum has not been one to curtail comment - thank you.

What I'm getting at in my comments is that if you make it too difficult and cumbersome for the exchange of views and expression of same, you kill it. People just quit coming back. It becomes a nuisance instead of an interest. And then everybody loses.
Agreed.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Forums that do have a 'like' button - and there are WAY more of them that do than don't:
thehulltruth.com
bloodydecks.com
advrider.com (huge forum - 100K members)
irv2.com
cafehusky.com
coloradofans.com
dieselplace.com (huge - way over 100K members)

Ones that don't - and really old and dated software:
rvforum.net
calguns.net
garagejournal.com
mazdas247.com
mazdaforum.com
mazdaworld.org

We are really glad that you're plugged into the hobby, that helps. And devoted to it - I think I can speak for the vast majority here that we all are. A common interest. What I'm getting at in my comments is that if you make it too difficult and cumbersome for the exchange of views and expression of same, you kill it. People just quit coming back. It becomes a nuisance instead of an interest. And then everybody loses.

To give you an idea, I've been involved in the RC hobby since Kraft was big - and before that with free-flight and rubber-band power, and control-line planes in the cul-de-sac. I got my start in the early 1960's.

Pirate4x4 has over 320k actual members. The bots aren't counted, if they were the member number would be over twice that. And guess what, no like button.

You keep repeating that I'm trying to get people to shut up about it and no matter how many times that line of bs is repeated it simply isn't true. I was laughing at the level of butthurt surrounding such a trivial feature and that's it.

Quote:
I think people should just give up the Like idea for a week or two. At that time the site owners/administrators can compare traffic to what it has been and see if Likes had a positive or negative effect on traffic.
Werd, let it ride for a bit and see what's what. While I don't use the like button myself I'm not offended by it so if its brought back I simply don't care.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #152
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
While you may not come for freebees a lot of people did, because back in the day star could net you 100s of $ in prizes

been a $100 star member for over a decade, dont think i ever even won $10 worth of anything.
but im that way everywhere

did have a few friends win a few things though!
one even won a entire D90 from rc4wd, not part of rcc christmas though.

we just need to come up with a universal symbol for like now
like a "+"

but i think there is a minimum number of characters.

disclaimer: jumping in late on this, just here to BS. im on both sides of the arguement and dont have the time to care either way
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #153
RCC Addict

I don't see the "Like" feature as a big deal one way or the other except that it tends to artifically increase the post count, which may be the entire point.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #154
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
like a "+"

How about ("Like")!?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #155

Quote:
been a $100 star member for over a decade, dont think i ever even won $10 worth of anything.
but im that way everywhere

did have a few friends win a few things though!
one even won a entire D90 from rc4wd, not part of rcc christmas though.

like a "+"

disclaimer: jumping in late on this, just here to BS. im on both sides of the arguement and dont have the time to care either way
You like your hashtags so #like makes sense.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

I agree with the majority of contributors here, that the Like button enabled guys to like a build or a specific part of that build without having to add more "nice truck" or "cool rims" crap, and clutter up a thread with

useless responses. Constructive criticism or questions about a builders technique warrants posting, because we all learn from the answers the builder gives us and creates interaction amongst members.

At this point, we don't have much choice in the decisions, except to voice our opinions. So to those, like myself, that object to the removal of the Like, and those that agree to the removal, we just have to agree to

disagree.

One other thing I want to add on a personal note. I don't care what they do on SBG. This is RCC.

SBG is the slowest forum on the internet, everytime I go there, I get bad lag. Knock-on-wood, I've never gotten lag on RCC.
Attached Images

Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #157
RCC Addict

I do my own bit of promoting whenever crawling or on FB - if peeps are asking about making their rig better I tell them all the answers are on rccrawler.com.
We even put the url on our event t-shirts - we want peeps to know about this place if they're in the hobby. I find it interesting that every time I post the url in FB it inserts a thing in there about axialfest. Or some such. Anyway, this place is WAAAAAYYYYY mobetta than any FB thread. But all the crawling activity for meet ups and club events is there. The pace of interaction is much shallower and much faster there. It is not my cup of tea, but interesting to meet up with local crawlers so it's worth the hassle. IMO this forum is far more interesting and engaging than FB ever hoped to be.

I have not been to SBG nor do I have a desire to. I have a dozen or so sites that I follow on a regular basis. I type 80wpm and work in software and network setup for my job. It's nothing to pop in here and see what's going on. And there are a great bunch of mellow people here. It is one of the most friendly forums I've posted in. So far everybody I've met IRL is really terrific as well.

So many other forums just turn into bitch sessions and bickering. It gets really old after while. Some people are just negative. This the only forum I belong to that I don't have at least somebody on ignore. It is always an option for anybody that is just constantly obnoxious. Those are people a section mod can ping and just tell them to knock it off or they'll get a vacation. Another forum calls it 'band camp'
If yer bad ya get to go to banned-camp.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #158
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
You like your hashtags so #like makes sense.
lol i literally out of habit went to click the like button on this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I agree with the majority of contributors here, that the Like button enabled guys to like a build or a specific part of that build without having to add more "nice truck" or "cool rims" crap, and clutter up a thread with

useless responses. Constructive criticism or questions about a builders technique warrants posting, because we all learn from the answers the builder gives us and creates interaction amongst members.

At this point, we don't have much choice in the decisions, except to voice our opinions. So to those, like myself, that object to the removal of the Like, and those that agree to the removal, we just have to agree to

disagree.

One other thing I want to add on a personal note. I don't care what they do on SBG. This is RCC.

SBG is the slowest forum on the internet, everytime I go there, I get bad lag. Knock-on-wood, I've never gotten lag on RCC.

cool post

Quote:
I do my own bit of promoting whenever crawling or on FB - if peeps are asking about making their rig better I tell them all the answers are on rccrawler.com.
We even put the url on our event t-shirts - we want peeps to know about this place if they're in the hobby. I find it interesting that every time I post the url in FB it inserts a thing in there about axialfest. Or some such. Anyway, this place is WAAAAAYYYYY mobetta than any FB thread. But all the crawling activity for meet ups and club events is there. The pace of interaction is much shallower and much faster there. It is not my cup of tea, but interesting to meet up with local crawlers so it's worth the hassle. IMO this forum is far more interesting and engaging than FB ever hoped to be.

I have not been to SBG nor do I have a desire to. I have a dozen or so sites that I follow on a regular basis. I type 80wpm and work in software and network setup for my job. It's nothing to pop in here and see what's going on. And there are a great bunch of mellow people here. It is one of the most friendly forums I've posted in. So far everybody I've met IRL is really terrific as well.

So many other forums just turn into bitch sessions and bickering. It gets really old after while. Some people are just negative. This the only forum I belong to that I don't have at least somebody on ignore. It is always an option for anybody that is just constantly obnoxious. Those are people a section mod can ping and just tell them to knock it off or they'll get a vacation. Another forum calls it 'band camp'
If yer bad ya get to go to banned-camp.

did u type that in under 60 seconds?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:02 AM   #159

Quote:
Last night on Facebook I posted links to the New Axial thread on this forum. I do try to do that when I get the chance.

Quote:
lol i literally out of habit went to click the like button on this post
Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #160
Slow is the new Fast

Editing and restoring the Durango IFS thread was the right thing to do.

However , the big challenge I see with what is happening here is this. Dude blows in from RCC past whining and complaining about what board has become. Like a politician building a platform, begins to talk up his personal RC exploits and how devoted he is to 'making RCC great again' (good grief). Begins to point out all of the issues that he is going to fix(but asks for patience). His first move is to grab the controls and take away a feature on the site he doesn't like, be damned what the current active body thinks of it. To him the 'stats' are more important than our personal experiences here. Again, we are told it is for the betterment of the site (classic) . Here is the biggest problem ; so far all we get is the loss of a feature. The improvements are all pie in the sky at this point.

A far wiser move would have been to create and add visible features to the site as well as bless us with the presence of these vendors (who I assume will be given an incentive and motivation to return. No one is stupid enough to think they will return without them. They are elsewhere for reasons well beyond what the power of the 'like' button carries).

By showing us the results of forward thinking that we can relate to, change is encouraging. Its gains confidence.

It is fine to preach patience, but it is a much more palatable speech if the head it comes from delivers such decorum. The quick removal of the 'like' button was not an act of patience. With patience, in time it could have been updated, modified or replaced with something completely different.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

"Like" Button - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airtronics M11 settings for "push-button" dig control John Hallman Electronics 8 09-21-2010 08:48 PM
"Hide Forum" button? microgoat Comments, Suggestions, and Help 11 04-05-2006 11:30 AM
project "search button",my TLT Chevy 72Blazer Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 03-04-2006 06:57 PM