Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: "Like" Button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Like" Button

Some free-form thoughts on this and other seemingly-related forum issues:

(I initially posted about the likes disappearing in the "Comments, Suggestions, and Help" section, and no moderators visited that thread, so I suppose if I would like to contribute to the conversation , I will have to do it here...)

(These are only MY opinions, obviously!)

I'm a paid member.

I am not on FaceBook, and only in my pre-crawler days was I on other RC forums - The JANG's URC mainly, in case anyone is curious.

I "Like" the "Like".

I also post a lot - trying to contribute to conversations, discuss new products, appreciate member's build threads, and showing my own rigs.

I fail to see how the "Like" hurts, as it can be ignored by those who aren't into it, and those who wish to post more than just a "Like" typically do so.

To me, removing it seems like a way to "force" more interaction in an artificial manner.

It might be different if the "Like" button never existed before, but the Pandora's box had already opened some time ago on this site (and elsewhere on the internet).

The world today is a fast-paced place with lots of distractions, most of us here work and many have families.

We don't always have time to compose a post in response to everything that elicits a desire to publicly approve of another post.

I, for one, enjoy the back-and-forth of "Likes" and will admit freely that it feels good to have one of my posts "Liked" - so sue me...

I'm a single guy in his mid-50's that doesn't really do much more than obsess over RC crawlers and this site means a lot to me.

Since this change has happened, I'm personally feeling somewhat dissatisfied, and reading this thread is depressing.

Actually, I'm going to slightly revise that statement - I suppose it really kicked off when the Proline Metric body thread went completely haywire.

Threads do that around here every so often, but it's been ages since one went as bad as that one did.

I was one of the first commenters, but all I said was it was too rich for my blood, and then I stayed out of it.

My general feelings of discomfort with the site began as that thread "blew up", and I was hoping it would settle down - but I see the direct link from it to the other changes happening.

My thoughts on vendors, well - vendors on here help the site in some ways, and they supply the hobby and us with products.

But - they are also earning money from selling their products - they chose to work in the business that they are in.

If they cannot take criticism of their products, they are in the wrong business.

Obviously, any criticism given should be as constructive as possible, no need to be rude.

But, this site does occasionally have rudeness in non-vendor related threads, with the perpetrators typically falling back on that tire old mantra of "toughen up, you shoulda seen what this place USED to be like".

Just because things once were that way shouldn't excuse that behavior - we are just hanging out here talkin' toy trucks, after all.

I also thought it was interesting seeing the vendor mention the green "flipoff" emoji, and how he took that as rude - I also can't help but take it as rudeness, but I have long ago stopped reacting to it.

(Well, I guess I'll stop here... Please take this post as it was meant - as a collection of observations and opinions - I hope everything dies down, we get back to "normal", and - as a final note, We get the "Like" option back!)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #122
I wanna be Dave

You can also use the plus sign like this: chit chat+rccrawler.com It will be the first thing to pop up.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #123
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

(I initially posted about the likes disappearing in the "Comments, Suggestions, and Help" section, and no moderators visited that thread, so I suppose if I would like to contribute to the conversation , I will have to do it here...)

I'm a paid member.

I am not on FaceBook, and only in my pre-crawler days was I on other RC forums - The JANG's URC mainly, in case anyone is curious.

I "Like" the "Like".

I also post a lot - trying to contribute to conversations, discuss new products, appreciate member's build threads, and showing my own rigs.

I fail to see how the "Like" hurts, as it can be ignored by those who aren't into it, and those who wish to post more than just a "Like" typically do so.

To me, removing it seems like a way to "force" more interaction in an artificial manner.

It might be different if the "Like" button never existed before, but the Pandora's box had already opened some time ago on this site (and elsewhere on the internet).

The world today is a fast-paced place with lots of distractions, most of us here work and many have families.

We don't always have time to compose a post in response to everything that elicits a desire to publicly approve of another post.

I, for one, enjoy the back-and-forth of "Likes" and will admit freely that it feels good to have one of my posts "Liked" - so sue me...

I'm a single guy in his mid-50's that doesn't really do much more than obsess over RC crawlers and this site means a lot to me.

Since this change has happened, I'm personally feeling somewhat dissatisfied, and reading this thread is depressing.

Actually, I'm going to slightly revise that statement - I suppose it really kicked off when the Proline Metric body thread went completely haywire.

Threads do that around here every so often, but it's been ages since one went as bad as that one did.

I was one of the first commenters, but all I said was it was too rich for my blood, and then I stayed out of it.

My general feelings of discomfort with the site began as that thread "blew up", and I was hoping it would settle down - but I see the direct link from it to the other changes happening.

My thoughts on vendors, well - vendors on here help the site in some ways, and they supply the hobby and us with products.

But - they are also earning money from selling their products - they chose to work in the business that they are in.

If they cannot take criticism of their products, they are in the wrong business.

Obviously, any criticism given should be as constructive as possible, no need to be rude.

But, this site does occasionally have rudeness in non-vendor related threads, with the perpetrators typically falling back on that tire old mantra of "toughen up, you shoulda seen what this place USED to be like".

Just because things once were that way shouldn't excuse that behavior - we are just hanging out here talkin' toy trucks, after all.

I also thought it was interesting seeing the vendor mention the green "flipoff" emoji, and how he took that as rude - I also can't help but take it as rudeness, but I have long ago stopped reacting to it.

(Well, I guess I'll stop here... Please take this post as it was meant - as a collection of observations and opinions - I hope everything dies down, we get back to "normal", and - as a final note, We get the "Like" option back!)

Wish there was a LIKE button.......

Well said Durok !
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #124
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:

I'm a paid member.

I "Like" the "Like".

In the past few years that I have been more active on this site, I have observed you as being one of the more active and helpful members. The candid nature of your post attests to that Durok. So thanks for it. I too ‘like’ your post. Your passion for this place is top of the heap. I have seen no exception to that.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #125
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I'm on a bazillion forums and have never used any forums search function - google works way better anyway. Unless you know exactly what you're searching for, or you're searching for a specific user post.
Just try a topic in google with the [subject] space and site:rccrawler.com and you'll get all the threads on the subject. Way better results than any forum search function.
So, for example I wanted gear ratios for the new TRX sport kit so I would search: trx sport final gear ratio site:rccrawler.com
Try it. Google is way more efficient than any vbulletin forum code. Just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
You can also use the plus sign like this: chit chat+rccrawler.com It will be the first thing to pop up.
This is great info that I didn't even know. Wouldn't it be nice to have all this info contained in a "For best results searching this site section" conveniently located in a prominent area that newbies can find easily?
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

There is a "how to use the search function" in the newbies section. Its a sticky too. But what I was talking about was using the google search engine itself.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #127
Quarry Creeper

Nice truck.
HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
This is great info that I didn't even know. Wouldn't it be nice to have all this info contained in a "For best results searching this site section" conveniently located in a prominent area that newbies can find easily?
It would, but they wouldn't look.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMark View Post
Nice truck.
Shut up noobie.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Shut up noobie.
Who you callin noob?

I have been drivin rc for at least ten minutes
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 AM   #131
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Who you callin noob?

I have been drivin rc for at least ten minutes
10 minutes? Well gawdammit you're more qualified than medic with them stats you got!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:00 AM   #132
Rock Crawler

Quote:
There is a "how to use the search function" in the newbies section. Its a sticky too. But what I was talking about was using the google search engine itself.

Understand on both accounts. I actually read the sticky in the Newbie section. It mentions nothing about google as an alternative method.

I also think it might help if you re-ordered the sub forums a little and put the newbie stuff at the very top instead of the new parts vendor forum.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #133
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I'm a paid member.

I "Like" the "Like".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
Wish there was a LIKE button.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
...I too ‘like’ your post...
I like it too.

...and this is our life now. Sorting through pages of quotes because everyone is forced to quote and re-post to agree.

Up until a couple weeks ago, moderator activity was so rare I honestly couldn't have identified one by screen name or avatar. I appreciate the renewed attention and effort, but between this and disappearing threads I'm not sure we're on the right track yet. Keep trying guys.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #134
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I like it too.

...and this is our life now. Sorting through pages of quotes because everyone is forced to quote and re-post to agree.
We are also in the midst of "I'm going to post that I like this as a protest to not having the like button" phase of adjustment to a recent change. Should this be a permanent change, those type posts will hopefully evolve into something furthering the conversation.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #135
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I like it too.

Up until a couple weeks ago, moderator activity was so rare I honestly couldn't have identified one by screen name or avatar. I appreciate the renewed attention and effort, but between this and disappearing threads I'm not sure we're on the right track yet. Keep trying guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
We are also in the midst of "I'm going to post that I like this as a protest to not having the like button" phase of adjustment to a recent change. Should this be a permanent change, those type posts will hopefully evolve into something furthering the conversation.
Like.

At this point the forum’s survival will be in spite of them taking the like away, not because of it.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #136
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Like.

At this point the forum’s survival will be in spite of them taking the like away, not because of it.

Exactly. The comments in support far outweigh any detractors. Removing features doesn't 'improve' the forum. I call this a 'solution looking for a problem'. Seems to be all the rage these days...pretty much everywhere.
Either that or I'm just getting old and resistant to change. They call me 'Walter' at work - after Jeff Dunham's puppet.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #137
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
I don't know what 'SBG' is.

Next they'll decide we don't need a 'quote' feature or emoticons. Dear god.
Scale Builders Guild...

That would be ridiculous... quoting and emojis arent going anywhere...be realistic dude You say your on popular forums but yet all the popular forums I am on don't have it:
Nasioc forums for subaru
Zilvia forums for nissan
Scale Builders Guild for Scale rock crawlers

Quote:
Not the 'like' button, this:
"So much whining and gnashing of teeth over the
(possibly temporary) loss of the like button.
Quote:
Quote:

I get it, I don't like whining either. But this is a thread tool that has been eliminated and people are commenting on it, and basically what you're saying, if I'm not mistaken, is STFU. If that's not saying people shouldn't comment I don't know what is. But you make these comments often enough for it to stand out, like somehow people should not express their thoughts, when we all thought that was what the forum was FOR. Just sayin'.

We have another member that wants to 'enforce rules' just because they're rules. In my world, rules were made to be broken. I grew up in an era of 'screw the man'. Rebellion, counter-culture, it was all a huge thing. We grew our hair out, went on strike, and listened to rock and roll. LOL Whatever they were telling us we HAD to do, or SHOULD do, we were going to do the opposite.

We have a right to FREE SPEECH. Please don't infringe on that right. You, of all people here, I KNOW gets this.
And why in my opinion, too much moderation infringes on that right. Sure, it's not a free or public forum - somebody owns it and gets to make the rules. But when they go down this path it leads to rebellion, and the ranks thin out - the exact opposite of what it would appear they are trying to do.

You have a right to free speech but this is a privately owned forum and the owners can dictate what they allow and don't allow. RCC has been pretty good about that over the years but lets not get into a constitution debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I appreciate your reasoning here. Features removed are features removed. I would prefer to see features added as opposed to removed. I, like many others on here use 'like' as an acknowledgement that a post or thread is appreciated. I comment where and when I have something to say or if I feel like commenting. I will not post more frequently because the like button is gone. I just won't. It's that simple. I personally think the post counter is less useful than the like button. I am here to communicate not count my posts. The like button had clearly become a form of communication for people. A non verbal one that those who used it understood. It was something that those who were tuned in to could read, figuratively speaking. So yeah, a feature has been removed. Those who are currently pulling the levers do not have a healthy relationship to the 'like' feature. As a result they clearly they feel it is problematic. Now none of us get to use it. They seem more interested in how it is over on SBG and want to use their model. SBG isnt exactly bustling, if it even matters. My sense is that those pulling the levers are simply resurrected members from a time gone by. They are here to straighten us up because they feel we have been led astray...lol . The whole thing is a bit laughable in my opinion.

For sure, give us some swag and bring some vendors back. This adds to the site. Do it up! I will even buy a shirt if it isn't black.

I have been a paying member on here for a few years and have really enjoyed this place. There is a cool group of guys on here I enjoy chatting with and sharing some project work. My membership is up for renewal shortly. This is the first time I have contemplated not renewing. I guess we will see how things play out.

Appreciate the feedback, I do hope you choose to renew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I haven't been here that long, but in my limited experience this is about the best forum in the hobby. Is it perfect? well, no, and I appreciate and applaud the effort of Mike and everyone else to make it even better. It just seems to me that, in an effort to increase membership and participation, removing an avenue of interaction is kind of ... counter-productive.
It's obvious from this and similar threads that the "like" button has mixed popularity. But I also can't help but notice the irony that the "gavel-holder" on the issue seems to be a non-fan. And while steering this toward tomorrow's forum .... he seems to wax nostalgic for yesterday's.
Just an empty-headed opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post

jim

Someone has to hold the gavel...Yes Jim I am not a fan of the like button, however whatever my opinion on it may be my ultimate goal is success for the forum. If I am wrong in having John/Badger remove it and the data supports it, then Ill gladly take the internet beat down that I have coming

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #138
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
This is definitely something that should be done.

SBG makes posts on FB and Instagram all the time like "check out this awesome truck, see more on the build thread". Super easy and directs people back to the forum.

THIS

Quote:
How about be keep the shovel nosed trash on Facebook and off of rcc.

Id rather see quality builds here than shocks for links.

This as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I don't like this. Noticed when it happened, but was waiting to post anything, looks like it's already a topic.
Quote:

Yes, site is way behind the times on Vbulletin version, non-secure meaning not https site, still on http etc.

Dangit, right? I foresee more sweet truck, nice rims type posting. Many times I like or agree with what's posted but not much more to add...so avoid posting 'sweet truck'.

It might, but not any posts that add value to the thread.

That's good news, glad to see some proactive work here, always appreciate your work here. Please positively address the basic issues to make this site great again.

X1000

Edit, forum had many more sweet builds back in the day, but there were many newbs driven away instantly. I don't want Farcebook junk posting stuff in here, but it's better now that we're mostly trying to help newbs build better crawlers. A little search before posting goes a long way though.

Thanks for the support Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Mine expires today.

Last week I was contemplating buying the next level up just to help contribute. Not saying this to be a Richard, but now I’m going to wait a week to make sure that most of the regulars stick around. I fully expect to renew, but now it’s just not a no brainer like it was before.

It seems that most of us here either appreciate the like button or are indifferent. Yet the one guy that actively dislikes it has the button, so here we are.

I'm beginning to feel like everything thinks I turned the like button off... I didn't... Badger did, one of the 2 current owners of the forum. I spent an hour on the phone with John on Monday night and collectively, a long with influence from others, WE decided to do a pilot run of it being off.

Regardless, I hope you continue to support RCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I've seen plenty of really cool continuously updated threads where the only other sign of life was the 'likes'. Also it's not just sweet rigs and builds that are benefited by the 'like' feature. Many times someone might ask a question and receive a 'like' meaning 'yes'. In that aspect, it saves whatever thread from becoming cluttered with potentially off-topic discussion.

Much respect to people like 1BJB that are trying to do the best thing for the overall community. I appreciate that people care enough about this forum to listen to opinions and suggestions. Even though I'm a newcomer here, I know that no forum in 2019 is going to ever be what it once was no matter what admin/ mods do. Continued respect to everyone here that does what they can to provide accurate and unbiased information to those of us that are new to all of this.

Appreciate the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Interesting... We now have 5 pages of banter about this topic. All in a short period of time. I wish we had more build posts with this kind of action! It's hot in here. I need some air. =)

You sir win, As i read through some of the very long winded comments I cant help but think if guys put even a 1/4 of this into build threads and tech what great shape we'd be in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Mike, I appreciate your devotion passion and efforts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post

One of the things RCC has that nobody else has is the largest information bank on RC crawling vehicles in the world (2004- 2019) How to build them trouble shoot and repair them. Is there a way to take that library and history to a Facebook page that would bring interested Facebook viewers back to the RCC site for that information? Maybe access to that information shouldn't free to non-members and requires a membership? To me that information makes RCC a one of a kind site compared to anyone but especially Facebook.

Thank you, I believe that utilizing the social media outlets to bring people here is something that needs to happen.

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 03-13-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #139
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I agree there is no other place to go to find all the info that is here, even if it's not here someone will help you, now it might be with a smart ass remark but they will help you and that's the bottom line, this is the go to site.

I don't agree with paying for info though, I had to edit that comment in here.

I miss the 12 days of Xmas giveaways those were always fun, never won anything but it was fun to participate. But yeah things like that are what bring people here too and glad to see they are working on stuff like that too!

I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Making people pay for what's been readily available for years isn't usually a good way to gain traffic at a site.

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
1badjeepbruiser so glad to see your planned changes here! Your building skills are incredible and thats what this forum needs is a guy deeply involved in the hobby. Your not a vendor or sponsered by any entity. You are just a passionate member of the rc community looking to save an important resource for all thanks for stepping up to the plate Mike!

Appreciate the kind words and feedback

Quote:
Dang, I'd like a lot more of the posts here...if there was a 'like' button.
Quote:

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
This is the key problem here. From the user perspective, Jason and Badger are absentee landlords, and aside from collecting $20 from those who still bother buying a start, have had little interaction with the forums to keep them going. They have turned the keys over to you, great, but other than are hardy pat on the back, what else are you getting out of it? If they are truly committed to having you revitalize these forums, they should cut you in as a partner, giving you more incentive than just pride for the work you are going to do. Hopefully they are.

Like a lot of us who remember the good'ol days of RCC, I'd love to see a lot of that come back. Lets face facts, FB is great for organizing local crawl events, something that RCC has always been lackluster at. But FB sucks horribly at hosting build threads, finding specific information, as well as connecting our niche of the RC community beyond our local areas.

Hopefully you have not taken any offence, none was intended.

They haven't turned keys over to me, they are still the current owners. Badger does a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that 99.9% would have no idea about. Getting admin access allows me to address issues that as a regular moderator I couldn't.

I agree, we have the tech and info and I want to get that stuff back on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
Fix the main search button on the forum! if you want to retain members (especially newbs), make it easier for them to find what they are looking for. I am aware that you can search in each individual forum, but that's nonsense.

Make posting pictures easier. Maybe without requiring a star, or a third party photo storage.

Maybe be more involved in some of the bigger national competitions or events.

Re arrange the threads so the popular ones are more towards the top, or a "whats trending" thread.

Ive always thought the search function worked well and I figured searching for say something scx10 related in the scx10 forum made sense but I guess I could see that being an issue. That would be something for badger then to look into

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
In my opinion, THE reason to come to RCC is the tech. You need to advertise that this is the best place on the internet for RC crawling tech. Period.

You also need to advertise this on the social media sights because that's were all the young guys are and frankly the noobs that need the tech the most. You need to figure out the best way to reach them. Members should help if they are on local groups by posting up links to pertinent information on RCC.

You can't have the best tech without a good way to find it. If you make the search function easier to use more people will use it. The search function is critical in the paradigm that RCC is THE best source of tech on the net.

The attitude of the OG's needs to be responsive and assisting to these new guys than it has in the past. A lot of these guys will never have been on a forum so they need to not be turned off by their first experience. The biggest help I think would be to promote the sight when people ask questions on places like Facebook. Now I'm not saying direct every window licker on Facebook that asks a question about a RC crawler here, use some good judgement, lol. That gets them here, then you just need to make the experience helpful.

In the end this place isn't going to make it with only one guy making the effort. You don't have to be a moderator to contribute. if we all just keep RCC in our minds when we are traveling the web and do what we can to guide people here, and make their trip here helpful to what they are looking for, we may be able to make this place better.

I concur

Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #140
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

Scale Builders Guild...

That would be ridiculous... quoting and emojis arent going anywhere...be realistic dude You say your on popular forums but yet all the popular forums I am on don't have it:
Nasioc forums for subaru
Zilvia forums for nissan
Scale Builders Guild for Scale rock crawlers

You have a right to free speech but this is a privately owned forum and the owners can dictate what they allow and don't allow. RCC has been pretty good about that over the years but lets not get into a constitution debate

Appreciate the feedback, I do hope you choose to renew

Someone has to hold the gavel...Yes Jim I am not a fan of the like button, however whatever my opinion on it may be my ultimate goal is success for the forum. If I am wrong in having John/Badger remove it and the data supports it, then Ill gladly take the internet beat down that I have coming

There won’t be a beatdown. There would be rejoicing.

The data you have won’t tell you what you think it will. I’d rather not scapegoat this move on flawed data and just chalk it up to two people that hold the power making a unilateral decision that the majority of the community here vocally disagrees with.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote

"Like" Button - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airtronics M11 settings for "push-button" dig control John Hallman Electronics 8 09-21-2010 08:48 PM
"Hide Forum" button? microgoat Comments, Suggestions, and Help 11 04-05-2006 11:30 AM
project "search button",my TLT Chevy 72Blazer Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 03-04-2006 06:57 PM