Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Colorado Crawlers Flying Club

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

I was thinking it wouldn't be a good beginners plane. Just the 2:1 power to weight ratio sounded sweet. Maybe my second or third plane. I'll get together with you guys and learn some first. I might even get a simulator, and / or go with the apprentice. Seems like a good starter plane.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
I was thinking it wouldn't be a good beginners plane. Just the 2:1 power to weight ratio sounded sweet. Maybe my second or third plane. I'll get together with you guys and learn some first. I might even get a simulator, and / or go with the apprentice. Seems like a good starter plane.
The only thing you really will learn on the simulator is how the controls work and what the plane does when its facing you. Actually flying the plane will help out a bunch, i would recommend before buying anything buddy box with someone. I have a t28 that is binded to a dx7 right now and a dx6i ready for a buddy box setup this will give you a good idea if you are coordinated enough to jump right into a t28 or if you need to go with the apprentice first.

Nice thing about buddy box is that at anytime i can let go of a switch and regain control of the model and save it from impending doom.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #83

Agama,

I agree there is nothing better than the real thing when it comes to flying, but the simulator has helped me a ton. From my own experience, I feel I am more advanced then I would have been without simulator time. It really helped with staying smooth on the sticks, orientation and landing. I think the sim is harder in some respects because you can't judge depth perception as well as the real deal. I would head over to your LHS and mess around on one for a while. You will know if it's right for you. Besides, there is nothing better than to get your flying fix when it's -8 outside or too windy to fly Not to mention you get to fly some pretty cool planes.

The apprentice is a great plane. I have heard novice to expert say they love the plane and haven't heard/read any complaints (other than it has a lot of lift - which can be trimmed out). I was told the T28 is the easiest of the warbirds to fly. I have never flown a real one, but in the sim it is noticeably easier. It seems slower than Ty's Thunderbolt and P28 but it's very smooth. I'm sure others who have the plane can tell you more about it.

Good luck!
Jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

The t28 is awesome plane and if you can handle it, it would be perfect. The only issue is its self righting capabilities are not very good so if you lose orientation and it is inverted it will stay inverted.

My t28 is about as fast as my p47 but then again it has a power 10 in it I can throw the stock motor back in it for you agama if you want to try it, You will know the second i hand the controls over to you if you can handle it or if you need something a little slower and smoother.

The biggest thing when you are new is orientation, the t28 is gray and both the top and the bottom so you can lose it fairly quick if you accidentally go inverted. If you get any plane put some nice colorful stripping on the underside of the plane, this will increase your chances of bringing the plane down in one piece.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Agama

W/ adam and his trainer chord, you will learn a lot.

Don't be afraid, do it!
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #86
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post

My t28 is about as fast as my p47 but then again it has a power 10 in it .
Do you have a 11x8 prop and a 2200mah 4 cell battery in yours too?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Do you have a 11x8 prop and a 2200mah 4 cell battery in yours too?
No my p47 electronics are stock except for a cc bec, the t28 is using the stock prop as well, so it may not beat yours but it will put up a fight.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post
The only thing you really will learn on the simulator is how the controls work and what the plane does when its facing you. Actually flying the plane will help out a bunch, i would recommend before buying anything buddy box with someone. I have a t28 that is binded to a dx7 right now and a dx6i ready for a buddy box setup this will give you a good idea if you are coordinated enough to jump right into a t28 or if you need to go with the apprentice first.

Nice thing about buddy box is that at anytime i can let go of a switch and regain control of the model and save it from impending doom.
Thanks man, I'll take you up on it the first Monday that it's nice enough to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocko View Post
Agama,

I agree there is nothing better than the real thing when it comes to flying, but the simulator has helped me a ton. From my own experience, I feel I am more advanced then I would have been without simulator time. It really helped with staying smooth on the sticks, orientation and landing. I think the sim is harder in some respects because you can't judge depth perception as well as the real deal. I would head over to your LHS and mess around on one for a while. You will know if it's right for you. Besides, there is nothing better than to get your flying fix when it's -8 outside or too windy to fly Not to mention you get to fly some pretty cool planes.

The apprentice is a great plane. I have heard novice to expert say they love the plane and haven't heard/read any complaints (other than it has a lot of lift - which can be trimmed out). I was told the T28 is the easiest of the warbirds to fly. I have never flown a real one, but in the sim it is noticeably easier. It seems slower than Ty's Thunderbolt and P28 but it's very smooth. I'm sure others who have the plane can tell you more about it.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
Agama

W/ adam and his trainer chord, you will learn a lot.

Don't be afraid, do it!
I'm all over it. For sure.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #89

Went out today to drain a few packs but was sent home by the wind. Looking forward to the next nice (read calm) day.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #90
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocko View Post
Went out today to drain a few packs but was sent home by the wind. Looking forward to the next nice (read calm) day.
I thought you had disappeared, we saw you the first couple of days at KOH, then bam you were gone.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #91

I didn't have any obligations the first few days but as the week went on, I had work to do. I flew once more, after you saw me, at Melville lakebed. I never did mount a gopro. That would have been bitchin.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #92

Went out for a little bit on saturday in the the wind with Chad and Tim.

Got a little go pro video and if you look close you can see my p-47 being hit by the GoPro apprentice.

And right after it is hit you can see the P-47 spinning to the ground in the bottom left corner.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gOrgTNQg0U
Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #93
Pebble Pounder

theres a UFO at 5:13 sweet video
TheSkunkBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #94

Quote:
Got a little go pro video and if you look close you can see my p-47 being hit by the GoPro apprentice.
That's like saying New Orleans ran into hurricane Katrina

The assault is at 2:32 and you can see the P-47 being "Fired" by the apprentice at 2:25-2:36.

Good times.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkunkBuster View Post
theres a UFO at 5:13 sweet video
Good catch Skunk! The greys were probably getting a good laugh watching the crazy flying!
GATOROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #96

Saw some pretty cool planes at the Chatfield Airfield Sunday. The highlight was the scale Warthog with a 120" wingspan. Someone said it was a $50,000 plane but that seems a little exaggerated. I found some on YouTube that were very similar for $30,000. Either way, that it a ton of money to have invested in something like this (in my opinion). Very detailed and fun to watch fly. There were plenty of middle-aged men swinging from the pilot's nuts, which was almost as fun to watch.

Also saw an aerobatic plane lose power and nosedive onto the runway. That plane probably had an 8'-9' wingspan. The front end was destroyed. I felt bad for the guy but it was kinda cool to see some carnage. I was trying to fly my plane and watch his crash at the same time .

A few pics...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #97

He put it in the dirt 15-20 feet ahead of the runway. I thought he was going to lose it but he was able to put it back in the air for another approach.

My new P-47. Got to maiden her this weekend. What an awesome plane!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

That A-10 is really cool. I used to watch the real ones rip $%^* apart on the Nellis range with their 30mm cannon.

As always, great photos, and I love your new P-47! I wanna see that thing in person.
GATOROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #99

Looks cool Chad, wish I could have made it.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATOROC View Post
That A-10 is really cool. I used to watch the real ones rip $%^* apart on the Nellis range with their 30mm cannon.

As always, great photos, and I love your new P-47! I wanna see that thing in person.
I'll bet it was awesome to see these things do their thing in action. According to a documentary I watched, the A-10 took over the duties of the P-47 as a ground attack plane. Isn't the A-10 nicknamed the "Tank-Buster"?

When I fly in C/S, I go to the East parking lot of Sky Sox stadium. I'll send you a text next time I go. I usually go during the week, so you may have to take an unscheduled lunch break.

Quote:
Looks cool Chad, wish I could have made it.
No worries Ty. I'll tell you it's a lot more fun flying with you guys. Most of the people were pretty cool at the field but there were some stiffs. Just not the same. That is a great area to fly though. I really like having a nice smooth runway and no curbs .