Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #761
Rock Stacker

I wired mine up what I thought was the right way, then I got my 4pl and the front motor spun the correct way but the rear motor was turning in reverse. I just switched the wires on the rear motor and all was fine, took longer for the soldering iron to heat up then switch the wires around.
Hemipower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #762
Pebble Pounder

Location: The Dirty Dirty, A-Town, ATL, The A, Hot-Lana, ATLANTA GEORGIA

harley its not just one motor, its both. thats whats wierd. And the FXR wont program the way it says in the instructions. I have to full throtttle reverse when it says forward
mrdrinksalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #763
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdrinksalil View Post
harley its not just one motor, its both. thats whats wierd. And the FXR wont program the way it says in the instructions. I have to full throtttle reverse when it says forward
Just reverse one motor and be done with it. Reverse the channels so that the motors are spinning the appropriate way. Don't need to over complicate it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #764
RCC Addict

Quote:
I had this issue with my MambaMicroPros. This is what I did:

Adjust the Normal/Reverse on your throttle channels on your radio so that when you are pulling full throttle you've got the ESC lights also indicating full throttle. Don't mind which direction your wheels are spinning yet.

This should now able you to get your ESCs programmed correctly.

After you've programmed your ESCs, and they indicate full throttle/full reverse when you are pulling full throttle/full reverse, just switch your wires or rotate the endbell on the motor that is spinning in the wrong direction.

This should have you all set now, and also have the bars on the radio display go the same way.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #765
Rock Crawler

it only took nine days for my radio to get back to me from the west coast. programed my 2.2 moa in about 5 min. This radio is great super simple to program, i love it. Can't wait to get another rx and finish my super!
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #766
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Just reverse one motor and be done with it. Reverse the channels so that the motors are spinning the appropriate way. Don't need to over complicate it.
All I'm sayin is I reversed the polarity on the rear motor like you show in your diagram and programed for dual esc with your youtube vid and both the motors spin backwards. AND when I calibrated the neutral/full throttle forward/then revese (as shown in the instructions) for the FXR's I had to do neutral/reverse/forward for the calibration to take. So either my radio signal is backwards or your diagram is.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #767
Rock Crawler

Quote:
All I'm sayin is I reversed the polarity on the rear motor like you show in your diagram and programed for dual esc with your youtube vid and both the motors spin backwards. AND when I calibrated the neutral/full throttle forward/then revese (as shown in the instructions) for the FXR's I had to do neutral/reverse/forward for the calibration to take. So either my radio signal is backwards or your diagram is.
Your radio signal is backwards. Just reverse the throttle channel before you do the one touch set-up.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #768
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like the forth channel needs to be reversed, had to on mine when I set it up.
LEADFOOT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #769

Does anyone know if the Futaba 4PL radio has a steering dual rate override? So if I'm racing and I get stuck in a corner I can press a button and get 100% steering travel to get out of the corner.
Killer RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #770
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer RC View Post
Does anyone know if the Futaba 4PL radio has a steering dual rate override? So if I'm racing and I get stuck in a corner I can press a button and get 100% steering travel to get out of the corner.
I an check to see if the D/R can be programmed onto SW1. It will be later tonight.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #771

Tekin says that with the Futaba you go full reverse first then full forward. I found that if the transmitter throttle was reversed the esc would not set up. So I use normal setting then neutral, reverse forward.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #772
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Tekin says that with the Futaba you go full reverse first then full forward. I found that if the transmitter throttle was reversed the esc would not set up. So I use normal setting then neutral, reverse forward.
You sir are the winner. This is exactly what I was talking about. With the dual FXR's you have to run reverse on the throttle channel and channel 4.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #773
Pebble Pounder

Default Just got my 4Pl Back...

I live in NorCal, it took a full 2 weeks, but well worth the wait. Mailed it out Monday 01-17-11 and got it back today, Monday 01-31-11.
Can't wait to get it all set-up!
Get A Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #774
Rock Crawler

Here's one for ya Harley, with the RX on the PL it states that it is a high voltage unit right. If I set up my CC BEC to 7.4 volts and run a 6v servo off it will the RX step the power down going out to 6v so I don't fry it? Thanks for your help.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #775
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
Here's one for ya Harley, with the RX on the PL it states that it is a high voltage unit right. If I set up my CC BEC to 7.4 volts and run a 6v servo off it will the RX step the power down going out to 6v so I don't fry it? Thanks for your help.
No, there is nothing in a RX to step down voltage, it is a direct pass through.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #776
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No, there is nothing in a RX to step down voltage, it is a direct pass through.
Thanks, now I won't fry a servo
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #777
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
There is a rotary at the front. Mixing is controlled with one of the DT's just like I suggest to everyone with a 4PK, it is a better setup.
First thanks for these great write-ups...This will be my next radio for sure once the funds are available.

Secondly, since you suggest controlling the mixing with a DT switch (which is what I plan to do), what would you suggest the rotary be used for? Or is it a feature that really has no use?

I read through about 90% of this last night, but didn't see it mentioned.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #778
20K Club

I havent found a good use for it yet.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #779

Mine is all set up now and working great. However my reverse only works for the rear axle and ratchets backwards. the motor in reverse sounds like a car hitting the rev limiter. What setting do i need to change to fix this? thanks
NorthwestYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #780
20K Club

Sounds like you maybe toggled the ABS on in the radio.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
Futaba 4PL - Modelbouwforum.nl This thread Refback 11-08-2011 05:06 AM
Scaler Radio Help - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums This thread Refback 11-02-2011 02:46 PM
e-Modelismo - Maior Comunidade de Modelismo em Português - Ver Tópico - Futaba 4PL This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:41 PM
Futaba 4PL 4-Channel 2.4GHz SFHSS Transmitter/Receiver - RemoteD - Fjärrstyrd Hobby This thread Refback 10-24-2011 03:51 AM
Futaba T4PL - Elektronik - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-11-2011 04:01 AM
4PL Dual ESC - YouTube This thread Refback 10-09-2011 08:27 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - emisora 4pl This thread Refback 10-05-2011 04:42 PM