Notices

Thread: waterproofing a lipo battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: waterproofing a LiPO battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
Oh that makes more sense now. Advice about waterproofing from some one who doesn't run in water.
Fine, makes sense for you.

My son has run scalers, guys in my club run scalers, lots of people here run scalers. I have yet to see a NEED to prevent corrosion due to water, clear water or crappy water.

I have had LiPO's get wet (no, not submerged), never had a corrosion issue.

The only "issue" that "could" be related was stiff balance wires that stressed the copper causing breaks where they solder to the cell. This was on 2 Zippy packs & 1 GensAce. Never had an issue on my "expensive" Elite or ThunderPower LiPO's.

I would actually be more concerned cutting through packing tape, shrink tube, etc. to get to the connections (so they can be waterproofed) WITHOUT puncturing the LiPO cell itself.

Now, while I have no experience submerging LiPO packs in an RC application, which you so willingly pointed out, I HAVE dealt with industrial/government/military LiPO packs & design requirements.
In general, they don't give a crap about some water on the connections. There are some special applications, that deal with long term (think along the lines of weeks) submersion in salt water/harsh environments.

By that time, metal links, link balls, motors, etc. are damaged. Likely the LiPO connections are fine.

So, am I "qualified" to comment on "waterproofing" LiPO's for a hobby. That can be debated (for the little it's worth).
Am I going to take your bait and start something.....ROTFLMAO......no way.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: waterproofing a lipo battery

[QUOTE=Dostradamas;4002789]I only have flavored & ribbed.
Only prostitues carry Non-lubricated cause they lube & install oraly.[/QUOTE

And how do you know this to be a fact
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

So you say you can get lipos wet that there sealed. But to put a lipo outta use you put it in a salt water bath? I'm not sure I would trust a non coated lipo.
jeepguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Whenever I am going to a place where I know there is a possibility of water I just drop my batteries in a balloon or I just avoid the water!
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERJOE View Post
or I just avoid the water!

What fun is that?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Default Re: waterproofing a LiPO battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Fine, makes sense for you.

My son has run scalers, guys in my club run scalers, lots of people here run scalers. I have yet to see a NEED to prevent corrosion due to water, clear water or crappy water.

I have had LiPO's get wet (no, not submerged), never had a corrosion issue.

The only "issue" that "could" be related was stiff balance wires that stressed the copper causing breaks where they solder to the cell. This was on 2 Zippy packs & 1 GensAce. Never had an issue on my "expensive" Elite or ThunderPower LiPO's.

I would actually be more concerned cutting through packing tape, shrink tube, etc. to get to the connections (so they can be waterproofed) WITHOUT puncturing the LiPO cell itself.

Now, while I have no experience submerging LiPO packs in an RC application, which you so willingly pointed out, I HAVE dealt with industrial/government/military LiPO packs & design requirements.
In general, they don't give a crap about some water on the connections. There are some special applications, that deal with long term (think along the lines of weeks) submersion in salt water/harsh environments.

By that time, metal links, link balls, motors, etc. are damaged. Likely the LiPO connections are fine.

So, am I "qualified" to comment on "waterproofing" LiPO's for a hobby. That can be debated (for the little it's worth).
Am I going to take your bait and start something.....ROTFLMAO......no way.
Wow dude. Looks like you already had a nibble of the so called "bait". If I want to "bait" you out there are far worse things I could have said. I simply stated you don't run in water. I don't care if you "know" people that do. I "do" run in water. I know all about which parts are prone to corrosion so save that bit for someone else. When it's as simple as taking a battery and dipping it in plasti dip after I've already went to the trouble to protect everything else, why not. You don't have to tear the pack apart to water proof it.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #27
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy5 View Post
So you say you can get lipos wet that there sealed. But to put a lipo outta use you put it in a salt water bath? I'm not sure I would trust a non coated lipo.
The salt water solution is to discharge the battery. If plain water was a problem, we'd have to water proof the battery connector which I also do not do.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

waterproofing a lipo battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best battery connectors for waterproofing? rocksteadily Electronics 10 02-05-2011 11:33 AM
What Zippy Lipo battery fits a Crawler King? Or whats your favorite 2c lipo battery? phunkodelic HPI Wheely King 20 08-31-2009 01:35 PM
Best Charger for Lipo batteries, and best lipo battery phunkodelic Electronics 12 06-14-2009 10:58 AM
waterproofing lipo and brushless? badhoopty Electronics 5 04-09-2008 02:21 AM