Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #181
RCC Addict

Default Re: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

I'm running the SC411 on a 2S 50c 5000mah pack and 56/14 gearing. It's extremely smooth in a Wraith but the motor does get a bit warm. I'm having issues now where the ESC is cutting out half way through the pack and Stan has me trying a bunch of stuff. I think I may have a bum ESC though.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #182
RCC Addict

I actually ordered a MMP yesterday because we're going on vacation this coming weekend and I don't know if I'll have time to troubleshoot the BH 120a Pro before then.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #183
Quarry Creeper

I don't seem to be having any of these problems. Ran the wraith again today and it works great. No cutting out and no stalling or delay of any kind at any rpm.

I'm using a 56t spur and 11t pinion.
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #184
RCC Addict

Can you check your settings? I want to know what firmware you're running and the settings. Stan thinks the dead band is too narrow for my radio. I can't remember off hand which one I have on there now, but I believe it was one of the V2 mod firmwares because the stock blinky firmware had a big delay going from forward to reverse and even when doing double pump brake it was too long.

If it's just a matter if switching back to the different firmware then I'll do that. Either way, I'll have a spare ESC after all is said and done. I really do like how the BH doesn't do the high pitched whine when it starts up.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #185
Quarry Creeper

I'll check out my settings and post them up when I'm back home Monday.

I'm pretty sure it's mod 528. Reverse is instant with no double tap.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #186
RCC Addict

I need to check mine as well. Just got back into town last night as well and haven't had time to look at it. I'll check it out tonight. I remember turning all of the boost/turbo/timing settings as low as they would go. Wonder if that's causing issues.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #187
RCC Addict

I also noticed this last weekend that my revers was super slow and I could not for the life of me figure what setting effects that. I took the laptop with me and tried some in the field re programming, but nothing helped. I figure that this was built as a short course controller and that is really what it should be used for at this time, also i have the previous version. It looks liek i may finally have my own work area in a few months and if so, a short course truck will be in works, i will just keep this controller for that build. But at this point, time to stop screwing around and go crawling. I will say this, with that SP CM motor, she is have no issue putting the power out when the it can, i blew up two stock venom drive shafts over the weekend
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #188
Quarry Creeper

Here's my settings. Hopefully you guys will get similar results. This is with the original 120 amp pro. My LT4 is in the EXO.

software Version: V2.0 100528 MOD

Basic Settings
Running mode- forward/reverse direct
Drag brake- 60%
DDRS start mode - level 3
Max brake force - 75%

Advanced settings
Max Reverse - 75%
Initial brake force = drag brake force
Neutral range - 6%
Boost timing - 1
Over heat protection - enable
Turbo level - off
Boost start RPM - 15,000
Turbo open delay - off
Timing punch = -6

That's it. I'm going to try and lower the initial brake force setting to see if I can avoid flipping over during quick stops.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #189
RCC Addict

lol your rig must be much lighter then mine, i have run 65% on initial just to get it to stop and that barley hold it on the drag side.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #190
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
lol your rig must be much lighter then mine, i have run 65% on initial just to get it to stop and that barley hold it on the drag side.
The SC411 is 4 pole where that Speed Passion motor is 2 pole so I think it has a little more braking power. I have mine set to 50% right now and if I let off fast it will lock the front tires and lift the rears.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #191
RCC Addict

how do you run a 4 pole on the three pole ESC, is the 4th just a ground??
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #192
RCC Addict

The 4 pole motors have a north-south-north-south arrangement where a 2 pole just has a north and south for the magnets in the rotor from what I understand.

Some cool stuff I found while searching that to answer you:
4 pole: 4-POLE BRUSHLESS DC MOTOR ANIMATION
2 pole: 2-POLE BRUSHLESS DC MOTOR ANIMATION
Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #193
RCC Addict

I hate to say this, but this outcry was the most solid running ESC I have run yet, not a single issue with it all weekend, had some cogging going on Sunday morning, but it was still kinda cold out too.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #194
Quarry Creeper

So I picked up a Novak Goat 3S with the 21.5T censored. It's just downright slow on 2S. Low speed crawling is epic, but the excitement factor is just not there. With 2S the 21.5T just doesn't provide enough wheel spin. This ESC looks very well priced, and from reading 10 pages of this thread, it's apparently quite good. From what I can gather, putting this ESC and a brushless motor in my SCX-10 is going to work great.

Sooooooo correct me if I'm wrong, it has a good drag brake, it's fast, small, and cheap, and it works! I don't have to do some stupid rain dance with one step setup buttons or feel like I'm trying to launch a NASA Space Shuttle by pressing buttons in sequence and timing it right otherwise I look all my settings. I can simply hook it up to my computer and wala!

I do want enormous power, but also composed on the rocks. I'm not looking for a silky smooth crawl, it doesn't need to creep along like a snail. I just want it to be a good in three categories...(1)enjoyment, (2), crawling, and (3) speed.

Possible? Or give up and just be happy with the Novak? I'm clueless with all this Kv, 120A, 2S/3S, turbo boost shit. I just want a ESC/Motor that is fun!

Thanks all!

(PS- Anybody have a link a good motor for crawling/speed?)
SinCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #195
Suck it up!

You don't have to run boost unless you want it, or you could set it up so that it won't come on until you hit WOT. Personally I haven't used it much yet (racing stock class...blinky mode mandatory) but with a little trial and error its not too hard to figure out.

You'll probably do well with the motor you have. Run it till it dies!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #196
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You don't have to run boost unless you want it, or you could set it up so that it won't come on until you hit WOT. Personally I haven't used it much yet (racing stock class...blinky mode mandatory) but with a little trial and error its not too hard to figure out.

You'll probably do well with the motor you have. Run it till it dies!
Nice! Is this ESC compatible with the Novak Ballistic 21.5 T? I can't tell if the ESC is the limiting factor or the motor... Of all the videos I've seen they are fast! But mines apparently on snail time. I have gone through the setup a few times. No change.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #197
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity View Post
Nice! Is this ESC compatible with the Novak Ballistic 21.5 T? I can't tell if the ESC is the limiting factor or the motor... Of all the videos I've seen they are fast! But mines apparently on snail time. I have gone through the setup a few times. No change.
Your motor is snail slow, you could run 6s and it would be about the same as a 13.5 on 2s.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #198
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Your motor is snail slow, you could run 6s and it would be about the same as a 13.5 on 2s.
lol 6S...no thanks. Just looking for a different setup honestly. My LHS said this setup would be fast... I should learn from my mistakes! I don't think my ESC can handle 6S anyways
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #199
Suck it up!

First, that person you talked to at your LHS...avoid them like the plague from now on. You might even have a talk with his manager.

Second, Novak motors sometimes don't like to play with other escs when you use the sensor cable. The only way you'll know is to hook it up and try it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #200
Rock Stacker

Run it on a 3s 11.1 and it will come alive!
505cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom PRO Brusshles ESC 120A BL-4x4 Electronics 1 01-04-2012 11:10 AM