Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC?

When people ask what electronics I' m running their shocked and they laugh but this thread is a prime example of why I'm reluctant to step into 21 century, Im running rooster crawl, 27-turn brushed paradox( never heard of it?, last motor I bought brand new waaaay back in pan car days) and & 7cell stick. This combo is like the terminator, IT JUST WONT STOP, EVER and never has. Been using this motor for 5 yrs. It goes in everything I'm gonna drive, changed brushes once, its about toasted gonna miss it. Understand the performance modern electronics are getting is night and day from mine.
Not bashing your thread, electronics or choices of. Just expressing my reluctance, I need and want to move forward.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #122
RCC Addict

if your ready, want program-ability, performance and to get into for a damn good price, i would say go brushlesshobbies. don't get me wrong, the redcat is getting all brushed, brushed is still a viable solution and there are some companies out there still making good products, but you are going to pay for it.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #123
Quarry Creeper

thankx docwolf
Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #124
RCC Addict

@riceburner

That definitely sounds like a nice reliable setup. Most of what Doc and I are messing with is this ESC was mostly designed for SC racing so nobody has really tried it for crawlers. What we're running into is the programming stuff. One good thing is that you have many different base programs that you can upload to the ESC. From there you program the parameters of those base programs.

The main issue with this type of setup is that for a novice it can be confusing and there's a little bit of a learning curve. I've never had sensored brushless and the things I'm finding are things that others that have been doing it a while have already seen. My point of updating this thread is for the guy like me that is stepping onto new ground and hasn't seen these issues before.

I personally have a mix of stuff. Mostly Castle ESC's but wanted to try something different and didn't want to just grab a MMP like everyone else. I know if I had the MMP it would have been programmed already because I know the settings and programmer well. I just need to learn how the BH ESC programs. You know, each ESC has it's own personality so it's best to learn them and then tune to your needs.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #125
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for being gentle with me guys, bout 3/4 way through writing that I thought this is coming out of left field, hate to be a thread nuisence, but I read through these trying to learn something. Money's tight and would like to make a safe leap into present day electronics.Thankx again.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #126
RCC Addict

easier to drum up Business for Stan by being nice ;)
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #127
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
Thanks for being gentle with me guys, bout 3/4 way through writing that I thought this is coming out of left field, hate to be a thread nuisence, but I read through these trying to learn something. Money's tight and would like to make a safe leap into present day electronics.Thankx again.
There's nothing wrong with being unfamiliar with something...its all in how you ask the questions.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #128

Thought I'd link this for you guys.
Brushless Hobbies LT4 Install guide - Electric Motors, ESCs, batteries, etc. @ URC Forums
Evil Genius jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #129
RCC Addict

Read through that post, people are such haters if the box doesn't say Castle or Tekin on it. Even Novak gets no love these days.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #130

Yeah not sure why though. Poor novak lol.
The castle and Tekin stuff isn't really that great either. Sure they replace for free no questions ask but they shouldn't have to replace it in the first place.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #131
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Read through that post, people are such haters if the box doesn't say Castle or Tekin on it. Even Novak gets no love these days.
Yeah, kinda sad. I guess they don't trust stuff that's made in China.

Oh, wait, they're all made in China.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Yeah, kinda sad. I guess they don't trust stuff that's made in China.

Oh, wait, they're all made in China.
Yup lol.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #133

Hi there!! I'm new at the forum and also trying to build a competitive crawler.
I'm trying to get in touch with Stan through email but it's impossible...
Do you know if he's on holidays or something?? I'm contacting from Spain and phone call is not an option.

Thanks!!!
MatuMRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #134

He has a full-time job so he is most likely away on business. He'll get back to you, don't worry.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #135
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quick note, for those testing sensored brushless with the motor on the bench, you'll need a load on the motor for it to perform properly. I stuck an old stripped pinion on the motor and held the pinion with a rag and you can see night and day that the sensored stuff is working very nice. The motor even has a totally different sound when sensored and when unsensored.
Thanks for that tip I was getting really bummed that motor wouldn't spin when on the throttle. Gave it load and it was cake! I love the not hearing that electric wine with this pro4/LT4 combo.
t3yf5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #136
RCC Addict

I've emailed Stan as well, I think he must be on the road. When he's home he emails you back within hours and when he's on the road it takes a little while. Don't worry though he'll get back to you.

On another note, anyone running the blinky program still? I was running it in my drift car and it was behaving a little funny. For example when you'd get into reverse, it would get stuck and only want to do reverse. You could let off the throttle and it would go to neutral, but when you hit forward nothing would happen. After pumping forward a few more times it would go forward.

The ESC is going in the Wraith this weekend and I plan to switch to one of the other programs so I was wondering if it was just a thing the blinky program does. It doesn't always do it though. I also wasn't hitting LVC (which I thought I was). It was almost like it was hitting LVC for forward, but not reverse. Quite strange. It's done it a few times now.

I've emailed Stan about that, but since he's out hadn't heard back. Figured I'd ask to see if anyone else ran into that and if different program fixed.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #137
Suck it up!

Quote:
I've emailed Stan as well, I think he must be on the road. When he's home he emails you back within hours and when he's on the road it takes a little while. Don't worry though he'll get back to you.
Could be. Sometimes he gets right back to me, sometimes he doesn't.

Quote:
On another note, anyone running the blinky program still? I was running it in my drift car and it was behaving a little funny. For example when you'd get into reverse, it would get stuck and only want to do reverse. You could let off the throttle and it would go to neutral, but when you hit forward nothing would happen. After pumping forward a few more times it would go forward.

The ESC is going in the Wraith this weekend and I plan to switch to one of the other programs so I was wondering if it was just a thing the blinky program does. It doesn't always do it though. I also wasn't hitting LVC (which I thought I was). It was almost like it was hitting LVC for forward, but not reverse. Quite strange. It's done it a few times now.

I've emailed Stan about that, but since he's out hadn't heard back. Figured I'd ask to see if anyone else ran into that and if different program fixed.
I'm running blinky on a couple of mine, hadn't noticed that problem. Check the settings on your tx, make sure nothing got bumped, and recalibrating your tx and esc. Could be a deadband thing too. The esc may not be seeing neutral.

For those of you running these in your crawlers and Wraiths and whatnot, keep us updated on how they are going. Most everyone else runs the BH stuff in race rigs...it'd be nice to see how they are doing in something different.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #138
RCC Addict

It's going in the Wraith this weekend with a Tenshock SC411 4000kv motor. Should be pretty fun/fast. I don't crawl a lot with the Wraith, but that should still let me run slow if I need to.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #139
Quarry Creeper

I am waiting on some lockers and replacement stainless steel screws today then my pro4/LT4 combo is going it. I will bash around more than crawl, but will definitely want to run it through different situations.
t3yf5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #140
Suck it up!

So nobody has tried going slow yet?

Guess I'm going to have to get off my butt and find a sensored motor to rewind for crawler duties...

Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom PRO Brusshles ESC 120A BL-4x4 Electronics 1 01-04-2012 11:10 AM