Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: very confused, please help 3s, 4s, 6s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: very confused, please help 3s, 4s, 6s?

4s is going to eat cheap motors ( not to mention tranny parts, drive shafts, etc, and do not forget the BEC for sure with 4s). I think you have purchased something by now, but if not I would look at a 550 motor. Brood makes the Stump Humper 550 motor. Best scale motor available, IMO. It can be had in hand wound for a little more. Best combination of speed and power vs. money spent.

There are many advantages to going with a pro4. Tons of speed, torque, and they will take anything you can throw at them for the most part. They, along with the needed esc, cost more, but it is money well spent.

Also with a crawler, the huge battery is great, but they are heavy, and really not needed unless you want to run for hour+ without stopping. I would think if you were going to stay with a brushed motor, 2-3k of storage MAH would be quite enough, and allow you to place the battery for best performance. I do run a 3s 5000 in my Wraith, but I run a 6.5t 550 brushless motor and I have yet to run an entire battery before I was bored, or broke the truck.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
RCC Addict

That battery is going to be bigger than your Ridgecrest body lol. That's like serious racing battery.
On 4s you better be ready to replace a part of your drivetrain every time you drive it. I'm guessing your spur or front axle shaft will be then first to go. Then the driveshaft or tranny output. And so on. Till everything is upgraded or you get sick of breaking and spending money.

If you dont break anything you'll probably get 1.5 to 2 hours of run time with that battery. You'd get 3 if you were running a 55t haha.

If I were you i'd sell that battery and get a 3000ish mah 3s lipo. It will be plenty fast for a crawler and won't be like crawling with an heavy Brick strapped on top of your crawler.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

well after reading what you all say guess I'll have to see how I like itand report back. I may not like this set up but isn't that some of the fun of it? I will probably get a 3s cuz some of them are reasonably priced so not a bad idea to have one or two. So...if I hook up the 4s to the stock 20 turn motor will it last? I'm going to the LHS today, they are very knowledgeable I'll talk with them.
Worst case I'll use the 4s in the Summit in con junction with one of my other batts.
04zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #24
Proverbial threadkiller

IMO, it isn't going to be the 4S part of the equation that kills off your stock motor. If you're gearing up to catch your buddies Stampede, that higher gearing will do it in faster than anything. Shoulda maybe gone for an 1/8th scale buggy and a MMM, if that was going to be your main focus.

Run the 4S on your stock 20 turn, gear down until you can keep your motor temps below 125°-150°. I'd personally rather see you make mistakes with a stock motor than wreck a 'built' motor fresh out of the package.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

well Just charged up my new 3s and that has some get up and go. I haven't installed new motor or speed controller and I'm seeing the error of my ways... First thing is the crest just isn't designed for serious wheel speed, second is the physical size and weight of the 4s the batt is very heavy! the chassis drops down when I set it in the crest. Well hopefully tomorrow I can get the new motor and bec installed and try the 27t motor. Maybe that will help out with the wheel speed, have to wait and see. I have options now two motors, a new speed controller and I got a 23tooth pinion (just in case the 27t doesn't go fast enough) , 2s, 3s, and 4s batts as well. I hope I can come up with combinations that will work.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

......so I did get everything installed yesterday,(stuck inside while we got 10" of wet heavy snow) Torque master BR XL speed controller, Holmes Hobbies Torque master 27t motor and the bec. I haven't had the opportunity to run it outside but it does one heck of a wheelie on carpet that is for sure.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

.... now I've had the chance to run it outside and all I can say is "I love this thing with the 4s in it!" Wow I really do, what fun and as of yet no broken parts! I'll keep you updated .

very confused, please help 3s, 4s, 6s? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused griz Axial Wraith 7 10-20-2011 07:35 AM
So confused!!!! 0volts Newbie General 11 12-26-2009 09:50 PM
I R Confused Deezul Tamiya Clod Buster 2 09-12-2009 06:57 PM
confused demonoid369 General Crawlers 4 12-05-2008 10:00 PM
i am so confused cotturj HPI Wheely King 5 04-07-2007 09:31 PM